Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Better Font Smoothing.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

I am not sure if anyone has discussed this here, but I am sorta in love with this. Gdipp.

http://code.google.com/p/gdipp/

It makes font smoothing kinda like OSX, but better. In anycase, I think I like it better than Cleartype.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

I think the Windows rendering is more true to the font.  The OSX render makes the strokes appear to have more weight than they're supposed to.

• User profile image
    bureX

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

bureX said:

Generic Forum Image

That's not a shadow, that's ClearType using the position of the colour subpixels to enhance the appearance of the text.

• User profile image
    Bass

It looks a lot like how fonts are rendered by default on Linux distributions. Probably because it is using FreeType.

• User profile image
    Minh

bureX said:

Generic Forum Image

That looks like a very poorly designed Chinese font... or poorly adjusted ClearType...

But how can free sourcing font techs be bad right?

• User profile image
    intelman

It looks better than the screenshots, at least for me. It is an interesting change, that is for sure. I still think I like it. The beauty of Windows, the choices we have. This rendering sort of reminds me of the DirectWrite look that fonts take on when enabled in Firefox nightlies. So many font rendering methods...

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    bureX

Sven Groot said:
    bureX said:
    *snip*

That's not a shadow, that's ClearType using the position of the colour subpixels to enhance the appearance of the text.

Yeah, ClearType does that... but I have never really examined it before on this zoom level and I was wondering why was that effect somewhat shifted to the right side (making it look like a shadow). However, I still agree with CreamFilling512 - gdipp really looks like it's adding more weight to the font.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

bureX said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Yeah, ClearType does that... but I have never really examined it before on this zoom level and I was wondering why was that effect somewhat shifted to the right side (making it look like a shadow). However, I still agree with CreamFilling512 - gdipp really looks like it's adding more weight to the font.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that this screen capture was taken on a clearType enabled screen that was configured so that the blue elements are to the right of the red elements within a pixel.

Instead of capturing the images and scaling it eight hundred percent, put them on a RGB grid and use the luminosity of the source image to set the brightness levels of the pseudo elements.

EDIT: I really dislike the new image light boxing because.

1) The thumbnails frequently do not work.

2) The View screen does not respond to the ESC key

3) More often than not, there is some Byzantine failure involved with

the retrieval process and that makes it difficult for me to point a finger

at someones code and say "A Ha, that is the problem."

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

Something in those screen captures don't look right to me. The supposed ClearType font has no colored pixels, at least not in the Chinese fonts (the top image). They are simply gray scale fonts.  Look at bureX's screenshot, the text on the right (which is the supposed ClearType fonts). In the other hand, the "File", "Edit", etc menu items do have ClearType pixels though (so we know ClearType is enabled on the system). So why would the Chinese fonts not be properly ClearType'ed in the top image? If anything, the fonts on the left in bureX's screenshot looks like ClearType, even though the labels on the site says it is the gdipp fonts. Very confusing.

The second issue I have is that even if ClearType is enabled on a font, you can't take a screenshot for comparison reasons and post it online, because it will most likely not be tuned to the monitor of whoever is looking at the image.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Ick, it makes everything bold?

• User profile image
    CSMR

Erm, abandoing sub-pixel anti-aliasing is not exactly a step forwards in technlology.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

CSMR said:

Erm, abandoing sub-pixel anti-aliasing is not exactly a step forwards in technlology.

Seriously, am I the only one that thinks the the two images are reversed (or something)? Zoom into the two images and you will find:

The one labelled "Windows font renderer (ClearType)" has no sub-pixel info whatsoever (just gray-scale pixels), while the one labeled "gdipp" has sub-pixel info. Isn't ClearType patented, and doesn't it seem odd that the images seem reversed?

Update: I tried the Microsoft YaHei font in Windows 7, and it looks nothing like the one they show in the top image. When you zoom in, it clearly has ClearType sub-pixels, while the one in their screenshot does not. What is going on? Are they trying to fake the quality of the ClearType fonts?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

BitFlipper said:
    CSMR said:
    *snip*

Seriously, am I the only one that thinks the the two images are reversed (or something)? Zoom into the two images and you will find:

The one labelled "Windows font renderer (ClearType)" has no sub-pixel info whatsoever (just gray-scale pixels), while the one labeled "gdipp" has sub-pixel info. Isn't ClearType patented, and doesn't it seem odd that the images seem reversed?

Update: I tried the Microsoft YaHei font in Windows 7, and it looks nothing like the one they show in the top image. When you zoom in, it clearly has ClearType sub-pixels, while the one in their screenshot does not. What is going on? Are they trying to fake the quality of the ClearType fonts?

Myriad Pro (the font they use for English text in those shots) is strange under Windows' ClearType antialiasing...  it really does do the greyscale antialiasing you see in that screenshot, even with ClearType on (and it won't work correctly in some programs).

Try it out for yourself:  if you have Adobe Reader installed, you should be able to find it in Adobe Reader's install directory.

• User profile image
    abcs

BitFlipper said:
    CSMR said:
    *snip*

I don't think they are trying to fake anything. Microsoft YaHei being rendered using grayscale antialiasing probably is the result of Myriad Pro being font-linked to it.

• User profile image
    abcs

Sven Groot said:
    bureX said:
    *snip*

I think gdipp by default does draws some shadow. There is a switch in an XML settings file and it is on by default.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

abcs said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

I don't think they are trying to fake anything. Microsoft YaHei being rendered using grayscale antialiasing probably is the result of Myriad Pro being font-linked to it.

I did try Microsft YaHei in WordPad and it was definitely doing ClearType properly. I took a screenshot and zoomed in - it wasn't doing simple gray scale anti-aliasing as in their screenshot.

Something is fishy...

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

This is what it looks like in WordPad. Compare that to bureX's screenshot where they show the "ClearType" version on the right.

Microsoft YaHei in WordPad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.