Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

So, UK 9ers : the New Dr Who Thread (no sploilers, please)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I expected someone to already have posted on this.

The first of the new Dr Who was on last night.  I was wary of such a young actor taking the role, but I was almost immediately won over!

Funny and intense are a good combination for The Dr, I liked it.

The only thing I didn't like was the bow-tie.

What did everyone else think?

Herbie

• User profile image
    Ian2

Had friends round last night so couldn't watch it.  About to sit down with the kids and watch ....

• User profile image
    Sabot

Ian2 said:

Had friends round last night so couldn't watch it.  About to sit down with the kids and watch ....

I was out at wedding lastnight, so had one too many beerios however, it's on the SkyHD planner ready for tonight!

On Twitter this morning some of the comments I read were ... better than RTD! (Thank Gud!).... bow-tie = bad .... music was poor .... not sure about the new Tardis makeover.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I really like the new Doctor. He has the right mix of confidence and humour. We will have to see about his new companion, she is good eye candy, but I found her a little irritating. Overall a very good episode.

The only tiny thing I didn't like is the new internals of the Tardis. They are trying too hard to be different to the point of just making it look like a skip has been super-glued into a pile... Struggle to be believable as a machine. Also a new colour of Sonic Screwdriver? I thought the colour (blue) actually made it sonic as opposed to another type for other colours (e.g. Dr. Who lore?).

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Ian2

yman said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

From someone who grew tired by the previous series, it was rather good - spectacular even. I'm glad Russell T Davies has his hands off the wheel, I took great issue with his writing style i.e. continual use of a deus ex machina to get out of a corner. 

Well, kids enjoyed it, Matt Smith gets off to a great start as the new Doctor so looks like it will become staple Saturday evening viewing ...

I personally felt it all seemed a little like everyone was trying a bit too hard, but maybe thats a good thing.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ian2 said:
    yman said:
    *snip*

Well, kids enjoyed it, Matt Smith gets off to a great start as the new Doctor so looks like it will become staple Saturday evening viewing ...

I personally felt it all seemed a little like everyone was trying a bit too hard, but maybe thats a good thing.

Woohoo for UK terminating VPNs. I'll be watching it today Smiley

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

ManipUni said:

I really like the new Doctor. He has the right mix of confidence and humour. We will have to see about his new companion, she is good eye candy, but I found her a little irritating. Overall a very good episode.

The only tiny thing I didn't like is the new internals of the Tardis. They are trying too hard to be different to the point of just making it look like a skip has been super-glued into a pile... Struggle to be believable as a machine. Also a new colour of Sonic Screwdriver? I thought the colour (blue) actually made it sonic as opposed to another type for other colours (e.g. Dr. Who lore?).

I agree about the tardis console, it's like someone hear the term SteamPunk and took it to be just stick old crap everywhere.  That said quite like the console room it's self.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

blowdart said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

Woohoo for UK terminating VPNs. I'll be watching it today Smiley

"Dear BBC, it has come to my attention that the turncoat known as 'blowdart' has emigrated to another country but has deviously found a way to continue to enjoy the benefits of living in the UK. I suggest that you release the TV licence ninjas ..."

Herbie

• User profile image
    Minh

How can I download this?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Dr Herbie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

"Dear BBC, it has come to my attention that the turncoat known as 'blowdart' has emigrated to another country but has deviously found a way to continue to enjoy the benefits of living in the UK. I suggest that you release the TV licence ninjas ..."

Herbie

Hah, I am still paying my license Tongue Out

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Minh said:

How can I download this?

Minh, see blowdart's post above Tongue Out

I saw the very begining and will hopefully finish it off shortly, as I have it recorded Smiley Opinion shall, no doubt, be forthcoming Smiley

EDIT: As in the one a few posts above your post, not above this one

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

blowdart said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Hah, I am still paying my license Tongue Out

You don't actually need a license to use iPlayer, so long as you don't use the live streaming Smiley

As a poor student I say 3 cheers for that! Big Smile

• User profile image
    figuerres

GoddersUK said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

You don't actually need a license to use iPlayer, so long as you don't use the live streaming Smiley

As a poor student I say 3 cheers for that! Big Smile

so how can we "Yanks" get the doctor with out wiating for the US based legal bs??

Heck if BBC would let me pay for it i would .... they should do a "Netflicks" type of service for folks not in the "motherland" or whatever you call it.

*IS* there any way i can pay to watch it from the US ?? (direct / now / not 6 months later or when ever SyFy buys rights here)

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

figuerres said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

so how can we "Yanks" get the doctor with out wiating for the US based legal bs??

Heck if BBC would let me pay for it i would .... they should do a "Netflicks" type of service for folks not in the "motherland" or whatever you call it.

*IS* there any way i can pay to watch it from the US ?? (direct / now / not 6 months later or when ever SyFy buys rights here)

Legally? No, I don't think so.

• User profile image
    Minh

GoddersUK said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Minh, see blowdart's post above Tongue Out

I saw the very begining and will hopefully finish it off shortly, as I have it recorded Smiley Opinion shall, no doubt, be forthcoming Smiley

EDIT: As in the one a few posts above your post, not above this one

you mean about the paying licensing or using a proxy? Can I get a proxy?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Minh said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

you mean about the paying licensing or using a proxy? Can I get a proxy?

I meant the one about a vpn Smiley

A standard proxy would work, but where you'd find a public proxy with a high enough bandwidth for streaming video I'm not sure.

• User profile image
    Minh

GoddersUK said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

I meant the one about a vpn Smiley

A standard proxy would work, but where you'd find a public proxy with a high enough bandwidth for streaming video I'm not sure.

Sigh.... I'll have to look for alternate ways

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.