Coffeehouse Thread

55 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is the iPad any good?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

Any US Niners taken the plunge?

• User profile image
    intelman

The device appears to be quite popular, surprisingly. Apple is pretty much on fire. Lots of 3rd party support out there despite the jokes and criticisms. I really do not think any other company could have done such a thing.

I'm personally love the touch of my HP Touchsmart TM2. I wish there were more Windows centric touch programs. We get no love Sad

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I don't know of anyone who has one which is interesting since I know at least three Apple fanboys. That being said however I'm sure Apple will release some sales stats for their shareholders before too long and we will see how the public has taken to it. They do say there is no such thing as bad publicity... And if that is true then virtually everyone is advertising its release.

• User profile image
    Bass

I can't really justify buying it when I already have a netbook.

• User profile image
    Ian2

intelman said:

The device appears to be quite popular, surprisingly. Apple is pretty much on fire. Lots of 3rd party support out there despite the jokes and criticisms. I really do not think any other company could have done such a thing.

I'm personally love the touch of my HP Touchsmart TM2. I wish there were more Windows centric touch programs. We get no love Sad

If you get chance would you mind testing the multitouch functionality on http://fromthemalverns.com/spot I'm curious to know if it functions correctly on the TM2?

Thanks.

• User profile image
    rhm

I'll be getting one when they arrive in the gadget backwater that is the UK.

• User profile image
    kitron

I had a chance to use one yesterday for about an hour at home, a friend brough one over.

quick review

-UI is very fast no lag or stuttering at all. Basicly feels like the ui is alive.  When you interact with something it responds as if you are touching a physical object, much faster than my iphone 3g.

-Screen feels bigger than it actually is, probably because you hold the device  closer to you.

-The book reading experience is very cool in ibooks.

-Used it for about an hour and the battery went down from 92% to 86% while I was constantly moving from app to app and playing videos. Brightness was set to max.

-Keyboard is not very comfortable somehow I think I prefer typing on the iphone.

-Feels  a bit too heavy, something that actually started to bother me after using it for about 10 minutes.

I think it has amazing potential.  Right now I am not buying one, I would wait for a next version.

• User profile image
    bureX

kitron said:

I had a chance to use one yesterday for about an hour at home, a friend brough one over.

quick review

-UI is very fast no lag or stuttering at all. Basicly feels like the ui is alive.  When you interact with something it responds as if you are touching a physical object, much faster than my iphone 3g.

-Screen feels bigger than it actually is, probably because you hold the device  closer to you.

-Used it for about an hour and the battery went down from 92% to 86% while I was constantly moving from app to app and playing videos. Brightness was set to max.

-Keyboard is not very comfortable somehow I think I prefer typing on the iphone.

-Feels  a bit too heavy, something that actually started to bother me after using it for about 10 minutes.

I think it has amazing potential.  Right now I am not buying one, I would wait for a next version.

Does reading books hurt the eyes after a while (or is there an optimal brightness setting that will null this effect out)?  Expressionless

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

ManipUni said:

I don't know of anyone who has one which is interesting since I know at least three Apple fanboys. That being said however I'm sure Apple will release some sales stats for their shareholders before too long and we will see how the public has taken to it. They do say there is no such thing as bad publicity... And if that is true then virtually everyone is advertising its release.

Would have thought there are a lot of people waiting for the 3G version, I would be.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

kitron said:

quick review

Unlike everyone else here, I actually *did* get one.

Just about everything Kitron said is true.  Everything is very fast and slick; the screen is beautiful (this is the best quality display I've ever owned--  viewing angle is amazing as it's an IPS display, as is image quality).  Battery life is great; mine goes down a bit less than 10% per hour under fairly heavy use (consistent with Apple's claims).  I'm still finding the on-screen keyboard a little awkward, but I'm getting used to it--  I'm already able to type fairly quickly on it, although I'm not as accurate as with a physical keyboard (duh).  It is surprisingly heavy, athough I don't think it's too heavy--  it does feel quite a bit less fragile than an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Keynote (Apple's Powerpoint competitor) works fairly well.  Importing presentations from Powerpoint works well--   it's able to accurately preserve complex diagrams and such.  Editing presentations feels pretty natural once you get the feel for how it works (there are a few quirks to get used to)--  multitouch is really good for this.  Actually presenting (on an external monitor) isn't as great (and is why I said it only works "fairly" well)--  presentations look and work fine on the external display, but the internal display is basically useless during a presentation--  the only thing shown on the internal display during a presentation is a blank screen with your slide number and a few buttons on it, with a list of thumbnails that automatically hides when you switch slides.  It *needs* a presenter view like Powerpoint or Keynote on Mac to be useful--  as it is right now, you have to talk to the screen if you want to see your slides in a presentation.

Pages and Numbers I haven't tried as much, so the verdict's still out on them...  they seem nice, but I can't make any conclusions until I've really used them.

[edit for BureX] Reading books (with iBooks) works really well.  With it set to 50% brightness (and automatically adjusting to the room's ambient lighting), I didn't have any issues with eyestrain yesterday.  If you did find it too bright while you are reading, there's a slider right there in the app to adjust brightness.  It's not an e-ink display; fonts aren't as high-resolution as they are on a Kindle and it's not as legible in bright sunlight, but it's great for indoor reading (as you don't need a booklight), it's a color display (so illustrations work), you don't have a flash between pages, and it's capable of doing a lot more with the display (video, animations, etc.).

• User profile image
    PaoloM

bureX said:
    kitron said:
    *snip*

Does reading books hurt the eyes after a while (or is there an optimal brightness setting that will null this effect out)?  Expressionless

I often wondered about people complaining about this when they spend 10+ hours a day in front of a huge LCD monitor...

• User profile image
    PaoloM

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    kitron said:
    *snip*

Unlike everyone else here, I actually *did* get one.

Just about everything Kitron said is true.  Everything is very fast and slick; the screen is beautiful (this is the best quality display I've ever owned--  viewing angle is amazing as it's an IPS display, as is image quality).  Battery life is great; mine goes down a bit less than 10% per hour under fairly heavy use (consistent with Apple's claims).  I'm still finding the on-screen keyboard a little awkward, but I'm getting used to it--  I'm already able to type fairly quickly on it, although I'm not as accurate as with a physical keyboard (duh).  It is surprisingly heavy, athough I don't think it's too heavy--  it does feel quite a bit less fragile than an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Keynote (Apple's Powerpoint competitor) works fairly well.  Importing presentations from Powerpoint works well--   it's able to accurately preserve complex diagrams and such.  Editing presentations feels pretty natural once you get the feel for how it works (there are a few quirks to get used to)--  multitouch is really good for this.  Actually presenting (on an external monitor) isn't as great (and is why I said it only works "fairly" well)--  presentations look and work fine on the external display, but the internal display is basically useless during a presentation--  the only thing shown on the internal display during a presentation is a blank screen with your slide number and a few buttons on it, with a list of thumbnails that automatically hides when you switch slides.  It *needs* a presenter view like Powerpoint or Keynote on Mac to be useful--  as it is right now, you have to talk to the screen if you want to see your slides in a presentation.

Pages and Numbers I haven't tried as much, so the verdict's still out on them...  they seem nice, but I can't make any conclusions until I've really used them.

[edit for BureX] Reading books (with iBooks) works really well.  With it set to 50% brightness (and automatically adjusting to the room's ambient lighting), I didn't have any issues with eyestrain yesterday.  If you did find it too bright while you are reading, there's a slider right there in the app to adjust brightness.  It's not an e-ink display; fonts aren't as high-resolution as they are on a Kindle and it's not as legible in bright sunlight, but it's great for indoor reading (as you don't need a booklight), it's a color display (so illustrations work), you don't have a flash between pages, and it's capable of doing a lot more with the display (video, animations, etc.).

I am going to get the 32Gb 3G one when it comes out for my wife.

We played a bit with one at Best Buy and, while impressive, it was kind of a letdown for me.

It is, in fact, nothing else but a giant iPod Touch.

I didn't see the HUEG GAME CHANGER!!11 factor that most of the press and fanbois were hyping, it is a very slick device that requires some effort not to buy, but I'm afraid it'll end up like the vast majority of Wiis, where everyone went out and bought one, played with it a bit and then put it in the closet.

The only reason it would appeal to me (for my personal use) would be as a PDF reader, so I'm waiting to test drive one of the dozens my friends bought to see how it performs there. Smiley

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

PaoloM said:
    *snip*

I am going to get the 32Gb 3G one when it comes out for my wife.

We played a bit with one at Best Buy and, while impressive, it was kind of a letdown for me.

It is, in fact, nothing else but a giant iPod Touch.

I didn't see the HUEG GAME CHANGER!!11 factor that most of the press and fanbois were hyping, it is a very slick device that requires some effort not to buy, but I'm afraid it'll end up like the vast majority of Wiis, where everyone went out and bought one, played with it a bit and then put it in the closet.

The only reason it would appeal to me (for my personal use) would be as a PDF reader, so I'm waiting to test drive one of the dozens my friends bought to see how it performs there. Smiley

It is a giant iPod Touch.  That's why it appealed to me (enough for me to get one)--  I believed that my iPod Touch, if it had a bigger screen and were faster, would make a great device between my desktop and laptop and my Touch (something to tote around all day, surf the web, read books and papers, etc.).  If that's your expectation, it delivers--  many of the same weaknesses as my Touch, but all the same strengths, too.

At any rate, so far I'm finding this much more pleasant than the device I thought filled that hole.  My Dell Mini 12 is a great device (and runs the full complement of Windows software, too), but (somehow) the iPad manages to perform better for many of the tasks I was using the netbook for--  web browsing is smoother, PDF reading actually works (ever tried using Adobe Reader on an Atom?).

Sure, it has its weaknesses, and it's not the game changer that the press makes it out to be (it's not going to replace your laptop or desktop, but it might just replace your cheapo netbook or your Toshiba tablet), but I've yet to be seriously disappointed (except by Keynote, but that could be fixed in a future update).  I didn't come in expecting it to be the "JesusPad" or the "second coming of Steve" or anything, though.  That'll be version 2.0.  (j/k)

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

PaoloM said:
    *snip*

It is a giant iPod Touch.  That's why it appealed to me (enough for me to get one)--  I believed that my iPod Touch, if it had a bigger screen and were faster, would make a great device between my desktop and laptop and my Touch (something to tote around all day, surf the web, read books and papers, etc.).  If that's your expectation, it delivers--  many of the same weaknesses as my Touch, but all the same strengths, too.

At any rate, so far I'm finding this much more pleasant than the device I thought filled that hole.  My Dell Mini 12 is a great device (and runs the full complement of Windows software, too), but (somehow) the iPad manages to perform better for many of the tasks I was using the netbook for--  web browsing is smoother, PDF reading actually works (ever tried using Adobe Reader on an Atom?).

Sure, it has its weaknesses, and it's not the game changer that the press makes it out to be (it's not going to replace your laptop or desktop, but it might just replace your cheapo netbook or your Toshiba tablet), but I've yet to be seriously disappointed (except by Keynote, but that could be fixed in a future update).  I didn't come in expecting it to be the "JesusPad" or the "second coming of Steve" or anything, though.  That'll be version 2.0.  (j/k)

question: can it display videos coded in backstreet codecs like divx?

I'm kinda not in the mood of buying new quad i7 just to convert videos comfortably and videos, pdfs and browsing are the only things I could use ipad for. 15 minute breaks at university are boring and I don't like bringing my laptop that weights almost as much as the eniac.. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    intelman

Ian2 said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

If you get chance would you mind testing the multitouch functionality on http://fromthemalverns.com/spot I'm curious to know if it functions correctly on the TM2?

Thanks.

Works fine, as expected. Moving the handle around was slightly weird, when I expected my finger to center the cross hairs.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

question: can it display videos coded in backstreet codecs like divx?

I'm kinda not in the mood of buying new quad i7 just to convert videos comfortably and videos, pdfs and browsing are the only things I could use ipad for. 15 minute breaks at university are boring and I don't like bringing my laptop that weights almost as much as the eniac.. Tongue Out

Nope.  Codec support is limited to what it can decode in hardware:  H.264, MPEG-4, and (strangely enough) Motion JPEG with uncompressed PCM audio.  Anything else has to be transcoded with something like Handbrake.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

Nope.  Codec support is limited to what it can decode in hardware:  H.264, MPEG-4, and (strangely enough) Motion JPEG with uncompressed PCM audio.  Anything else has to be transcoded with something like Handbrake.

If you find a site producing higher res videos that look great on the iPad, let me know ... I'm interested in know what resolution/bitrate works well on the device. I know that in many cases sites will just serve up the same video they'd give to the iPhone and the iPad will scale up, but something higher quality would be interesting to know about.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

From I have heard, some business really into it. I think magazine publishers are one of them. I really consider the battery life is too short for reading books. From the abve stat, it only last 10 hours, and I am sure we all know the last few percent was never drained in the same rate as every single battery. And battery also degrade fairly fast in a year normally, which is one big "profit" for Apple. While not really suitable for real books, it is quite nice for shorter articles and image heavy magazines. So, I would say, there is a market there, especially there are some major content providers supporting it.

As for the real book reading experience? Well, it is not suitable, but, I am sure all the people who bought it will never take that into consideration. Most people don't know what's going on. Thus, it is a heavy Kindle killer for sure.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.