Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ocular TV?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

Acutally I don't know how to name the term, so I just call it Ocular TV. The idea is exactly emulate the light source from distance. Instead of 2D image on the screen, it emulates the real world light source where you need to focus your eyes to see the object in the screen. The refresh rate would have to be 10 times higher to emulate approaximately 10 times of depth level. So in a still image, you can see the clear water drop on a window or you look further and see the blurry water drop and clear street light from afar (good eyes required).

It doesn't need 10 time of rehresh rate if you can display 10 depth of light sources in one refresh. But, I am sure there needs to be a balance to emulate more depths than the limitation of equipements. The light is only clear at certain focal point for each depth. So, instead of depth of feild blur in 3D games, there is no need for artifical blurring anymore. It is a clear picture with z info where such pixel will be clear at certain focal point.

In a sense, this is the real 3D display where things are 3D inside deeper into the display instead of a fake 3D that are poping out of screen. I mean seriously, only ghost would pop out of a window. The world you see beyond a window would never pop-up except the fake optical illusions.

What do you guys think? Is this doable with our current technology? It will be a shoot lights out approach with about 10 layers of focal point, and maybe double the refresh rate to double the depth layers.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

That's not how focusing works.

Furthermore, the decision of what to have in-focus in a scene is that of the director, not the viewer, so you're also missing the point of cinematography.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo said:

Furthermore, the decision of what to have in-focus in a scene is that of the director, not the viewer, so you're also missing the point of cinematography.

Funny you should say that, as one of the things they did in Avatar 3D was to have scenes with multiple focal planes so you could look at other things than just what the director thinks you should look at.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

W3bbo said:

I don't know how you can adjust the focal point from a flat display source. It is certainly tricky, but, possible. I mean, imagine your monitor as the surface of a mirror. The mirror is completely flat, but, it is able to reflect complete range of depths of light source. Imagine we make that the same as monitor. That's what 3D is all about.

The stuff in the mirror certainly don't pop-out, but, they are clearly in their own focal point based on z-depth. This is what I am trying to propose. Imagine a monitor like mirror, but, just not your own reflection.

Maybe I should call it Mirror TV.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    tfraser

magicalclick said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I don't know how you can adjust the focal point from a flat display source. It is certainly tricky, but, possible. I mean, imagine your monitor as the surface of a mirror. The mirror is completely flat, but, it is able to reflect complete range of depths of light source. Imagine we make that the same as monitor. That's what 3D is all about.

The stuff in the mirror certainly don't pop-out, but, they are clearly in their own focal point based on z-depth. This is what I am trying to propose. Imagine a monitor like mirror, but, just not your own reflection.

Maybe I should call it Mirror TV.

You should look at NVIDIA's 3D Vision; it produces the "3D into the screen" effect that you describe. The focal point effect is a different matter.

In some shooters that I've tried with 3D Vision, depth of field and 3D can combine nicely to achieve the effect of the water droplet example (e.g. around gun scopes, iron sights, close walls), but it only works where depth of field has been used/supplied by the game. The system does not use plain depth information of objects to adjust their focus, as I think you're describing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.