Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Martin Taylor Interview Tomorrow

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

I am interviewing Martin Taylor tomorrow. He's our director of competitive strategy and therefore very knowledgable in the areas of Linux, OSS, etc.

I want to talk frankly with him about Linux, OSS, Microsoft, etc, but also, and in true Channel 9 fashion, I want to know who he is, what he's like, what his vision is. Why?

Because I was so impressed with the fact that he agreed to be interviewed on slashdot (not the most MS friendly place in the world...) and he did such a great job. I figured it would be a really good idea for us to meet him find out what he's all about.

This won't be a slashdot-like interview because that's already been done. This will be a Channel 9-like interview (more human, but also technical)because that's what we do.

Do you have any burning questions (keep them rational, non-dogmatic please)?

Charles

• User profile image
    Manip

Q: What is your opinion on the hacker ideal that all information should be free?

Q: What, as director of competitive strategy, are you doing to try and dispel the image some people have of Microsoft being an evil empire?

Q: How does Microsoft's recent move to release some projects via sourceforge help or hinder your efforts to dispel the alleged benefits of the OSS model?

Q: Do you fear that customers might snub Microsoft’s replacement to Win32 (the .Net framework) and instead look at an alternative platform with more interoperability? How does longhorn play into this strategy?

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Please ask him why Microsoft gives the entire market of Internet backbone routing away to Linux/Unix/BSD!  Reason? There is no BGP4 implementation in Windows (Routing and Remote access does not support this protocol). For the *nix/bsd platform you have the widely used zebra, quagga, and other bgp daemons... On Windows, IT CAN'T BE DONE!!!
    How is that possible, that's a very bad competitive strategy if you ask me Wink

You know, in our company, we have to set up Linux boxes just for this task!, with all the management troubles and extra costs involved, you are basically pushing us to a platform that we don't want to use at all!

• User profile image
    Brooklyn

A few questions.
    Why are people writing complicated kernel code without compensation?
    Also, how do they make sure that all pieces written by different developers work together nicely when all developers are spread out throughout the world.
    Why are companies donating money for open source programs which are then distributed freely to everyone?

• User profile image
    Manip

Brooklyn wrote:
    Why are people writing complicated kernel code without compensation?

Money is only one way to compensate someone.

Brooklyn wrote:
    Also, how do they make sure that all pieces written by different developers work together nicely when all developers are spread out throughout the world.

Good / strict programming guidelines, testing and trial and error (look at the stable Vs. unstable kernel releases).

Brooklyn wrote:
    Why are companies donating money for open source programs which are then distributed freely to everyone?

Because that doesn't hurt the company as long as they get to reek the benefits of that open source program.
    A lot of companies don't give money but instead add a feature *they* need and submit that back to the source-tree for everyone.

• User profile image
    Manip

Beer28 wrote:
    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/hosted?netname=MICROSOFT-1BLK,65.52.0.0,65.55.255.255

Why does microsoft itself run solaris and linux if TOC is so low on windows 2003? They actually run Win2000 as well, so they themselves didn't upgrade some boxes as well as running solaris and linux.
    These aren't test servers, they are production servers right?

They do? Do you wish to back that up?

• User profile image
    sparky

In your experience, what is the most common reason people like Linux: because they think it is better, because they think it is free, or because it isn't from Microsoft?

• User profile image
    Tensor

At the moment, do you spend more time thinking about how to do better than the OS community and Linux, Apple, Symbian or somthing else?

Steve Balmer famously said "Developers developers developers" - the point being, win over developers, and you effectively make your platform and everything which goes with it the only choice. I think its an understatement to say that developers tend to be opiniated people. That means that, no matter how good the development tools you produce are, there is allways going to be a fair chunk of developers who will never switch to MS. Do you see a way of dealing with that?

• User profile image
    ChrisHaas

I would like to hear some talk about Mono and cross-platform .Net. If Mono reaches gold status for all namespaces would MS decide to compile some of their apps with it to run on *nix/Mac?

• User profile image
    ChrisHaas

Beer28 wrote:
    I guess those are ms nameservers pointing to http://www.savvis.net/ hosted servers, so that is explainable, what about not upgrading to 2003?

For the most part MS always runs the latest Gold releases or even the new betas on their servers. But like many of us they probably have those few computers that are sitting in a corner somewhere, maybe not even used. Or even more likely, legacy DNS entries pointing to legacy boxes. I tried a couple of those 2K entries and most redirected to new addresses, the rest just gave 400 level errors.

• User profile image
    Balclutha

1. How can students find out more about the internals of Windows, and how the system is really implemented, without Microsoft giving away its competitive advantage? The fact that many excellent students are not interested in Windows or .Net development should be worrying Microsoft because students are the future innovators. Even when CS departments run Windows, they tend to use it in connection with Java technology. Surely students are important to Microsoft's competetive strategy?

(Incedently, when Microsoft came to my university, just as Windows 2000 was released, they just made alot of cheap wisecracks about Linux and gave away lots of freebies. That's not the way to impress people.)

2. Can Martin see how the marketing that exists around Microsoft products can be off-putting to some people? Although everything from languages to OSes have active and vocal communities, you know, for example, that smalltalk.org is run by people trying to communicate and cultivate knowledge and technology they consider beautiful, interesting, and worth conserving whilst MSDN exists ultimately (arguably exclusively) to extract money from someone's wallet. Step into Microsoft’s world and it can feel like a bland world of products, step into other communities and it’s a world of colour and diversity. The open source world feels more like a library, whilst Microsoft world feels more like a travel agent full of holliday brochures.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Why isn't Microsoft lowering prices on (some of) their products?

• User profile image
    nektar

Ask about WindowsMedia Formats and DRM on Linux. Why is not DRM licensed on other platforms? How can Linux uses view WMV videos on other platforms legally? If Microsoft want to create a Media Platform which will be open and licensable for every company and online musidc shop to implement, shouldn't this platform be also available on all oses not only Windows?

• User profile image
    Charles

Wow. That was a great interview! I can't wait until we release it.

We got to all the points mentioned on this thread and many others (if not explicitly, certainly implicitly).

Stay tuned. Thanks for taking part in this discussion.

Cheers,

C

• User profile image
    Manip

I know Scoble is busy, but when do you think you will release it? This week?

• User profile image
    Charles

I'm trying to get Scoble to expedite this. Of course, we will have to make sure we get it by PR successfully.

C

• User profile image
    Charles

We are close. I want to go live with this next week.

• User profile image
    Tensor

So nothing yet. Has this been canned or somthing?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.