Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel9 request

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    figuerres

I see a thing happening more and more:

SMB customers who are dropping OFFICE and dropping SBS Server and buying only Windows Home SKU.

what are they doing?  buying Google and downloading Open office.

our tech guys looked at hosted Exchange but it tends to cost  more per user than the Google option.

MS needs to get the hosted Exchnage + Word and Excell and a sharepoint down to less than $52 per user per year.

or at least get really close to that...  the Hosted stuff i have seen on the partner site was more like $120 per user per year.

So will MS launch a new option that will compete with Google before they swallow all the SMB customers?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Judging from their past mistakes they will launch a counter attack when it's too late to stop people from converting. Expect the counter attack in about 5 years.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV said:

Judging from their past mistakes they will launch a counter attack when it's too late to stop people from converting. Expect the counter attack in about 5 years.

And Microsoft's online offering will give the best experience in Internet Explorer only, non-MS browsers will be arbitrarily labelled "Downlevel" and even then the enhanced features offered just don't feel right (e.g. overuse of postbacks) and Google's experience is cleaner and snappier in general.

• User profile image
    figuerres

ZippyV said:

Yeah like the iPhone .... in 5 years ... LOL

Really I have long been a fan of many things MS has done but the last few years I see HUGE mistakes that I can't forgive.

the WIndows Phone should have been release at the same time as the Zune.

thats one example.

in SIlverlight and .Net I think they are doing good stuff.

I like Expression.

I Like VS 2010

I like Office 2010

I Like WIn 7

But I am not so happy with the way Live and Mesh and the Hosted Services have went so far.

Not sure if Azure will really work out... might but I am not sure.

I can't see spending any time or money right now in the new Phone....

I hate the lack of work on Virtual PC

I would love to see an Office/Exchange live - over the net package that would compete with Google in less than 16 months.

*IF* MS top bress made it a goal i am sure they can do it...

that would help shore up sales of Office for some uses and would also help sell the Phone with good tie-in to the system.

MS is slipping .... they better watch out or it will get really bad...

• User profile image
    spivonious

figuerres said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

Yeah like the iPhone .... in 5 years ... LOL

Really I have long been a fan of many things MS has done but the last few years I see HUGE mistakes that I can't forgive.

the WIndows Phone should have been release at the same time as the Zune.

thats one example.

in SIlverlight and .Net I think they are doing good stuff.

I like Expression.

I Like VS 2010

I like Office 2010

I Like WIn 7

But I am not so happy with the way Live and Mesh and the Hosted Services have went so far.

Not sure if Azure will really work out... might but I am not sure.

I can't see spending any time or money right now in the new Phone....

I hate the lack of work on Virtual PC

I would love to see an Office/Exchange live - over the net package that would compete with Google in less than 16 months.

*IF* MS top bress made it a goal i am sure they can do it...

that would help shore up sales of Office for some uses and would also help sell the Phone with good tie-in to the system.

MS is slipping .... they better watch out or it will get really bad...

It's interesting that the apps you like are the main apps that MS focuses on (Windows, Office, Visual Studio). Honestly I think if they dropped everything else, we'd see a much more agile Microsoft, able to react in time to movements by others in the marketplace (e.g. Apple, Google).

• User profile image
    figuerres

spivonious said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

It's interesting that the apps you like are the main apps that MS focuses on (Windows, Office, Visual Studio). Honestly I think if they dropped everything else, we'd see a much more agile Microsoft, able to react in time to movements by others in the marketplace (e.g. Apple, Google).

In some ways i almost think that back when they were in the DOJ mess that possibly a split might have been a short term bad thing but a long term good thing...

I see that it may be that MS now has so many things going on it's hard to really focus on getting them right.

Some things that have great possibility are stuck in the red tape and stuff i think.

some things come out rather too late...

IE getting to V8 was too long (from V6 the big gap from 6 to 7)

the Phone - way to slow.

Mesh

VirtualXP mode - should have been part of Vista - would have made a lot of good press back then for that cycle.

and things like the Steady State tools not beeing done for 7

and like i said I see MS lossing a lot of the small offices as they move to using Google and other low cost options.

heck even some mid-sized companies run a lot of windows home if they don't have a centeral IT controller who orders pc's

cause if you walk into Best Buy you find Home all over but not Pro.

so when they shop for a low cost desktop at the "corner store" they get Home and they do not want to spend the money or the time ordering pc's from a Dell or HP.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.