Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

which cloud?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

I have heard cloud service, but, how easy they are to setup and develop? Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and others. What's the price comparison and feature comparison in general? I think Azure is first year free only? Google App is 500MB free. Not sure about Amazon. I am thinking about making a website where people can sign-up and post their ads and I will charge the clicks. Which one is more suitable and has better community and documentations?

Thank you.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Note that different "cloud" service providers have limitations on what kind of software you can run. Google App Engine, for example, only supports Java and Python; Amazon EC2 is meant for cloud compuation rather than cloud service-hosting (though you can do that). It supports both Linux and Windows. Microsoft's Azure is probably the most mainstream of the three: it supports ASP.NET and PHP, but I don't know about Python or Java at this point. I see it being marketed as a kind of expand-on-demand webhosting operation similar to Rackspace Cloud (aka Mosso) but geared more towards typical developers rather than designer/developers as Mosso is.

Personally, if you're just testing the water with some service of yours start off on a shared webhosting provider, they're the original cloud hosting solution. The risk is much lower since monthly fees are less than $15/month rather than the $50/month or so Azure works out for.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

W3bbo said:

Note that different "cloud" service providers have limitations on what kind of software you can run. Google App Engine, for example, only supports Java and Python; Amazon EC2 is meant for cloud compuation rather than cloud service-hosting (though you can do that). It supports both Linux and Windows. Microsoft's Azure is probably the most mainstream of the three: it supports ASP.NET and PHP, but I don't know about Python or Java at this point. I see it being marketed as a kind of expand-on-demand webhosting operation similar to Rackspace Cloud (aka Mosso) but geared more towards typical developers rather than designer/developers as Mosso is.

Personally, if you're just testing the water with some service of yours start off on a shared webhosting provider, they're the original cloud hosting solution. The risk is much lower since monthly fees are less than $15/month rather than the $50/month or so Azure works out for.

Why would ASP.NET and PHP more mainsteam than Python or Java? Is ASP .NET really that big?

I checked rackspace, the WebHosting is starting $149 /month. Arrr.... so expensive. I am fairly good at C# and VS from MS. Is there a good transition to Azure?

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

magicalclick said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Why would ASP.NET and PHP more mainsteam than Python or Java? Is ASP .NET really that big?

I checked rackspace, the WebHosting is starting $149 /month. Arrr.... so expensive. I am fairly good at C# and VS from MS. Is there a good transition to Azure?

BTW, what's the differnece between cloud and ASP.NET web hosting? Feels like I can just use web hosting with build-in SQL server storage. Is there a reason why cloud?

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bass

magicalclick said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

BTW, what's the differnece between cloud and ASP.NET web hosting? Feels like I can just use web hosting with build-in SQL server storage. Is there a reason why cloud?

"Scalability", or more accurately "Rapid scalability". With most of these "cloud services", you can grow and shrink your share of the "cloud" quickly.

On the negative side, overall these "cloud services" are much more expensive then regular hosting.

(I use "buzzwords" in "quotes")

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

magicalclick said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

ORCSWeb is $69/month for ASP.Net shared hosting  https://www.orcsweb.com/hosting/shared/ people like http://www.dotnet-webhosting.com are even cheaper.

Azure is going to cost you at a minimum of $86 (small compute node at $0.12/hour) and that's before you get into storage, bandwidth and database costs. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/pricing/  Azure is not the right choice if you just want a small personel site.  UNLESS your an MSDN premium subscriber, then you can get a small compute node for free.

Cloud != cheap

The advantage of systems like azure is it packages your app into a deployable package which the fabric keeps hold of.  If you need more power, you just change the settings in the control panel (node size or number of nodes) and the fabric creates new instances and deploys your app to those instances and load balances them for you.  Also if the physical node your running on fails your node will be automagically redeploy to a new host for you.

I'd start with a shared host if I was you.

EDIT: you can't change the node size on line, it's part of the deployment package so you must change the package and re-deploy it to change the node size.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Thanks for answering guys. I will go with dotnet-webhosting route before Azure. Seems like Azure is more suitable for a much larger user than me.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

magicalclick said:

Thanks for answering guys. I will go with dotnet-webhosting route before Azure. Seems like Azure is more suitable for a much larger user than me.

Shameless plug time Tongue Out I run my own Windows web-hosting biz and I typically beat DiscountASP's pricing, let me know if you're interested. Big Smile

• User profile image
    MoNail

magicalclick said:

For ISVs looking to get their feet wet, there are some free opportunities coming up such as Windows Azure Boot Camp in the Mid-West and Eastern U.S. http://www.azurebootcamp.com/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.