Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone still use WinDiff?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

Anyone still use the WinDiff tool that originally shipped with Visual Studio 5 (*I think)? I haven't found a better replacement for it yet...

• User profile image
    zian

I've switched to using DiffMerge.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I still use it regularly becaue it's more convienient than trying out all the different diff utilities out there.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

W3bbo said:

I still use it regularly becaue it's more convienient than trying out all the different diff utilities out there.

I tried a couple and they're very convoluted... WinDiff is like the notepad of diff' tools. If I found something else fairly like weight that had a few more options and allowed drag/drop-ing of files I'd be interested, but as I said everything else has a million features and a convoluted UI.

• User profile image
    rhm

ManipUni said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I tried a couple and they're very convoluted... WinDiff is like the notepad of diff' tools. If I found something else fairly like weight that had a few more options and allowed drag/drop-ing of files I'd be interested, but as I said everything else has a million features and a convoluted UI.

I use WinMerge

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ManipUni said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Saying WinDiff is the "Notepad of Diff utilities" if a fair description: it does the job fine, yet it misses out on one-or-two killer features that make it totally unusable for anything else. WinDiff's failings (see below) remind me of Notepad's failure to display \n documents acceptably.

All WinDiff needs is binary diff support, the ability to just compare directories without comparing file contents, and adding a "Browse..." button to the Compare Directories window. Right now it's a bit of a usability nightmare.

• User profile image
    wkempf

ManipUni said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Anyone who thinks the other tools (generalization here, since you didn't mention what other tools) are convoluted hasn't really needed a diff/merge tool (especially the latter). WinDiff being compared to notepad is somewhat accurate, other than I still occasionally find a use for notepad Wink.

The current "hot" tool in the open source world is KDiff3, which is a pretty nice tool, and is easy enough to use for casual diff/merge use. You can find it here: http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/. I'm currently using P4Merge (free) which you can find here: http://www.perforce.com/perforce/products/merge.html. I find P4Merge extremely easy to use, and it works great.

• User profile image
    PeterF

W3bbo said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Saying WinDiff is the "Notepad of Diff utilities" if a fair description: it does the job fine, yet it misses out on one-or-two killer features that make it totally unusable for anything else. WinDiff's failings (see below) remind me of Notepad's failure to display \n documents acceptably.

All WinDiff needs is binary diff support, the ability to just compare directories without comparing file contents, and adding a "Browse..." button to the Compare Directories window. Right now it's a bit of a usability nightmare.

If basic file comparison, binary comparison and directory compare is what you need, you might appreciate TotalCommander (http://www.ghisler.com) or for more advanced comparison Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/).

Regards,

Peter

• User profile image
    davewill

Beyond Compare rocks for both simple stuff and more complex stuff.  It also has a nice scripting language for creating standard diff jobs.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Every day.

• User profile image
    Frank Hileman

++WinMerge;

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

me does

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Windiff still works great.

• User profile image
    Minh

rhm said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

I use WinMerge

I also use WinMerge to double check my database change script... Why isn't THAT standard already FFS

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.