Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

WOW! XP blue theme beats aero blue theme!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

WHOOOOOHAAAAAAA! I think I just blew my own mind!

I have been setting my work PC to use the old "classic " theme when in RDP. ( old NT look ) Today I went and switched off the menu animation which also accidentally activated XP blue theme for some reason. Bare in mind I had not seen XP theme personally for a loooong time now.

I got such a "WOW moment"! I now understand why XP was/is so popular.

The blue theme in XP beats aero blue theme hands down! It's just soooo nice and "colory".

I have worked in aero blue theme ( non-glass ) for a while too and I TRUELY dislike it. It's so pale to put it mildly.

Next time someone sais "I like XP", I will not argue.

Tongue Out

( Speaking strictly about looks now. )

[ Windows 7 rocks ofcourse and I'm aware it's possible to use other themes for it. ]

but anyway, thought it was kind'a cool.

Smiley

• User profile image
    turrican

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo whaaaaaaaaat thhhhhheeeeee....... I just realized, I can't have XP theme in Windows 7 at all! WTF?

This kind'a sucked.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Yeah, the non-glass theme in Vista/Win7 is rather bland. I don't know why Luna (that's XP's theme) isn't available in Vista/Win7. Possibly because many people said they hated it, and that it looked unprofessional. But I don't know.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I think the majority of people don't like Luna because it's too colorful. I don't mind it myself. It's loads better than the Win95 theme.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot said:

Yeah, the non-glass theme in Vista/Win7 is rather bland. I don't know why Luna (that's XP's theme) isn't available in Vista/Win7. Possibly because many people said they hated it, and that it looked unprofessional. But I don't know.

Luna is unprofessional compared to Aero Basic, but Aero Basic's colour scheme and general design gives me seasickness. Windows 7 is better as it tones down the sea-greenness.

My personal favourite is Luna Element, it's a nice professional-looking theme with Luna's warm colour scheme without looking like it was made by Fischer-Price. It also comes with a "Compact" variant that uses less screen-space for the taskbar and window titlebars.

I'm looking to port Luna Element to Windows 7 when I get the time.

• User profile image
    figuerres

BAH!!!  Windows 3.1 .... lol.....

flat white on white with lots of borders....

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

figuerres said:

BAH!!!  Windows 3.1 .... lol.....

flat white on white with lots of borders....

White on white?

Generic Forum Image

Hot Dog Stand > All  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    turrican

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

White on white?

Generic Forum Image

Hot Dog Stand > All  Tongue Out

Must... wash... eyes... with... soap... uuuug... hehhhe...

Smiley

I kind'a like the win 3.x buttons. They feel sooooo very "buttony". Not even win9x buttons come close to the "buttony" feeling of win 3.x imho.

• User profile image
    spivonious

turrican said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*

Must... wash... eyes... with... soap... uuuug... hehhhe...

Smiley

I kind'a like the win 3.x buttons. They feel sooooo very "buttony". Not even win9x buttons come close to the "buttony" feeling of win 3.x imho.

I miss the old minus sign system menus. Lots of people who's computers I fix don't even know that the icon in the upper left of a window is a menu.

What's MS Bob doing on there!?!?!?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

spivonious said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

I miss the old minus sign system menus. Lots of people who's computers I fix don't even know that the icon in the upper left of a window is a menu.

I've got a dual-mon setup, so thanks to Fitt's law it's hard for me to press the normal close button for a maximised window on the left screen but the icon in the top-left retains the double-click-to-close functionality and I use it a lot.

During the Office 2007 Beta they removed this feature (and gave the windows a rounded top-left corner), they only fixed it just before RTM. I hope no other product decides to change it.

• User profile image
    wkempf

spivonious said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

The "minus button" was hardly intuitive. I can also count the number of times I've had a use for the system menu on one hand. I think the system menu could be entirely removed from the OS and hardly anyone would notice, and even fewer would complain.

• User profile image
    intelman

I think OSX's look is appealing because it is simple and not colorful. It is essentially black and white with blue scroll bars. It really is a nice look.

• User profile image
    spivonious

wkempf said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

The "minus button" was hardly intuitive. I can also count the number of times I've had a use for the system menu on one hand. I think the system menu could be entirely removed from the OS and hardly anyone would notice, and even fewer would complain.

I double-click it to close windows, so I would definitely miss it.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

spivonious said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

Same here.

• User profile image
    wkempf

spivonious said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

That's not using the menu, though Smiley. I think the number of people who know you can do that is probably fewer than the number of people that know there's a menu hidden behind there, so I still think that statistically what I said still applies. Very few people would notice, and even fewer would complain.

I should point out, though, that I'm not suggesting it should be removed. I'm only suggesting that the fact that it's not discoverable isn't really a detriment in any sort of way. People that have no clue about the system menu (or the double click to close) aren't really missing out on anything important.

Want to have some fun? See if you can figure out how this conversation applies to the Office 2007 UI.

• User profile image
    spivonious

wkempf said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

That's not using the menu, though Smiley. I think the number of people who know you can do that is probably fewer than the number of people that know there's a menu hidden behind there, so I still think that statistically what I said still applies. Very few people would notice, and even fewer would complain.

I should point out, though, that I'm not suggesting it should be removed. I'm only suggesting that the fact that it's not discoverable isn't really a detriment in any sort of way. People that have no clue about the system menu (or the double click to close) aren't really missing out on anything important.

Want to have some fun? See if you can figure out how this conversation applies to the Office 2007 UI.

That's true, there's not much in the system menu that people use. Maximize/Restore/Minimize are all available with one-click in other places, and I can honestly say I've never figured out how Move works.

• User profile image
    figuerres

spivonious said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

That's true, there's not much in the system menu that people use. Maximize/Restore/Minimize are all available with one-click in other places, and I can honestly say I've never figured out how Move works.

Move == WIndow Drag.

have used it a few times when i was using a keyboard to work on a pc w/o a mouse.

• User profile image
    jamie

*note to c9 admins - please REMOVE or relocate the CANCEL button... you know the one you accidentally hit after writing a WHOLE post?

delete it - or stick it on the left. 

anyway...

Luna - aka Rubbermaid tactile utilitarian soft theme was great. 

some hated it - MOST loved it

I dont see what the big deal would be to offer it as a theme in 7

big whoop

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.