Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

VS2010: I can't hide the close button for a tab? TELL ME IT AIN'T SO JOE!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Is there any way to hide the darn close button on tabs in VS2010? I hope there is! I switch between tabs very often and I keep accidentally closing my documents.

I can not imagine that it wouldn't be possible to remove/hide this darn close button? Tell me it ain't so joe! What kind of moron would do such a thing? Why not give backward options for people who have been used to it for years and years and years.

EDIT : For those people who read this in the future, you can vote it up in case you want this option added : https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/550531/accidental-closing-of-documents-due-to-active-close-buttons-on-all-tabs

EDIT2 :
    Turns out, the angry C9 mob was wrong and I was most likely right after all. This is good enough for me to get the licenses now.

Quote : "Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, we are currently in the process of creating an extension to enable users to customize how the tab well looks and feels.

I will re-activate this bug this and include a link to the download once it is ready for release.

Thanks for your time,
    The Shell Team"

EDIT3 :

This is what I call good customer care. Microsoft rules! Big thanks!

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/550531/accidental-closing-of-documents-due-to-active-close-buttons-on-all-tabs

Posted by Microsoft on 6/7/2010 at 6:17 PM
    Hi,

Previously, you have commented on the Document Tab Well in Visual Studio. Today we released an extension which enables users to customize the Tab Well to suit their personal preferences; from the ordering of tabs to the position of the close buttons, users can now configure dozens of different options for their tabs.

The extension is part of the free Visual Studio Productivity Power Tools pack. Please download the pack and try the out the Document Tab Well extension. If you have any feedback or questions, please add your comments to the Visual Studio Gallery page or e-mail the Document Tab Well team:

docwell2010plus[at]microsoft.com

The Pro Pack can be downloaded from the following location:

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/d0d33361-18e2-46c0-8ff2-4adea1e34fef

After installing the Pro Pack, Go to

Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Document Tab Well

From there you can customize a wide variety of options, including scrollable tabs and color coding.

Thank you for your time,
    The Shell Team

• User profile image
    rhm

Given that all the wailing about the reversing of document tab order in VS2005 went unanswered, I think you're sh!t out of luck.

• User profile image
    turrican

rhm said:

Given that all the wailing about the reversing of document tab order in VS2005 went unanswered, I think you're sh!t out of luck.

I can't believe with all these bells and whistles, they just don't add options for old style working with tab. It's an essential part of the editor imho. Whoever made that decision is a complete fool.

I'm so so very pissed right now I am out of words. I'm certain there will be a ton of devs who will keep accidentally closing tabs. I can understand not fixing the tab reverse thingy ( well, not really ) but this seems way too critical of an issue to me.

Imagine having to reopen the freaking tabs several hundred times a week just for this stupid close button.

I got like 10 files open with variable length names, so the tabs are variable length. So the close button placement also varies depending on the tab size.

I am so utterly disappointed and frankly, I am doubting the sanity of the person(s) who made this decision.

• User profile image
    turrican

So they want the devs to become like robin hood? Use the mouse like a bow and arrow, try to catch and hit that tab without clicking on the dumb close button, say 400 times a day...

...good thing I installed this thing in a hyper-v machine... heh... HELLO SNAPSHOTS!... I'm rolling back this baby for sure.

I'll stick to VS2008 and maybe VS2012 will have the tabs without close buttons in it. Until then, they lost fees for 10 pro licenses.

Smiley

• User profile image
    kettch

turrican said:

So they want the devs to become like robin hood? Use the mouse like a bow and arrow, try to catch and hit that tab without clicking on the dumb close button, say 400 times a day...

...good thing I installed this thing in a hyper-v machine... heh... HELLO SNAPSHOTS!... I'm rolling back this baby for sure.

I'll stick to VS2008 and maybe VS2012 will have the tabs without close buttons in it. Until then, they lost fees for 10 pro licenses.

Smiley

I've been using VS2010 since the first publicly available build, and I can't remember a single time that I've closed a tab that I didn't mean to close. Perhaps it's time to get tested for Parkinson's?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

This has always been the case, CTPs probably. Everyone had a chance to provide feedback, did you open a connect bug? I personally can't remember myself closing a tab by mistake. In fact I quite like the new design.

• User profile image
    rhm

Ion Todirel said:

This has always been the case, CTPs probably. Everyone had a chance to provide feedback, did you open a connect bug? I personally can't remember myself closing a tab by mistake. In fact I quite like the new design.

The Vogon defense Smiley

• User profile image
    felix9

Hehe, my firefox tabs have always worked this way, and in fact, to me, the most annoy thing about IE7/8's tabs is, only the active tab has the close button !! I was SO frustrated. Tongue Out

Thats why I really like this feature of VS2010 Smiley

http://blogs.msdn.com/visualstudio/archive/2010/03/20/tips-and-tricks-quickly-closing-documents.aspx

and, talking about the tab order, maybe you can try this in 2010:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\General]

"DocumentDockPreference"=dword:00000001

• User profile image
    PaoloM

turrican said:

Smiley

If you use a mouse to switch between tabs, you're doing it wrong.

• User profile image
    kettch

felix9 said:

Hehe, my firefox tabs have always worked this way, and in fact, to me, the most annoy thing about IE7/8's tabs is, only the active tab has the close button !! I was SO frustrated. Tongue Out

Thats why I really like this feature of VS2010 Smiley

http://blogs.msdn.com/visualstudio/archive/2010/03/20/tips-and-tricks-quickly-closing-documents.aspx

and, talking about the tab order, maybe you can try this in 2010:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\General]

"DocumentDockPreference"=dword:00000001

With regards the tab order, you might be referring to the option found by going to Tools>Options>Environment>Documents and then checking the box that says "Insert documents to the right of existing tabs"

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

PaoloM said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

If you use a mouse to switch between tabs, you're doing it wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. May I suggest looking at the keyboard shortcut posters.

-Josh

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Initially, I felt this frustration, but you soon get used to it. There is no progress without change. I always wondered why you had to go across the sceen to close a tab control on the other side, so I think this is the way it should have always have been, but they could not change it because the shell was written in Win32/winforms and not WPF. Spend a week in Visual Studio and you will soon change your mind.

By the way, how does this feature not get in your way in your beloved Opera. I believe they work the same?

• User profile image
    Bas

Maybe you should try to relax a bit.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

turrican said:

Smiley

How to have a hissy fit:  take a minor change to the UI, blow it up out of all proportion, claim entire software package is useless.  For extra points ensure others that you work with cannot use the new software because of your personal, subjective childishness.

Well done.

Herbie

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Dr Herbie said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

How to have a hissy fit:  take a minor change to the UI, blow it up out of all proportion, claim entire software package is useless.  For extra points ensure others that you work with cannot use the new software because of your personal, subjective childishness.

Well done.

Herbie

"Drama Queen" springs to mind.

• User profile image
    turrican

vesuvius said:

Initially, I felt this frustration, but you soon get used to it. There is no progress without change. I always wondered why you had to go across the sceen to close a tab control on the other side, so I think this is the way it should have always have been, but they could not change it because the shell was written in Win32/winforms and not WPF. Spend a week in Visual Studio and you will soon change your mind.

By the way, how does this feature not get in your way in your beloved Opera. I believe they work the same?

Opera has the option to remove the close buttons. All I say is, WHERE IS THE OPTION? I'm not saying take it away from the people who like it.

• User profile image
    turrican

Dr Herbie said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Well done.

Herbie

...heh

NOT EVEN INTERNET EXPLORER has the close button like this, NOW WHY DO YOU THINK IT IS THAT WAY?

You people call this FORWARD DEVELOPMENT?

I mean seriously, just because YOU never accidentally closed a tab, you say for real that this is not a design flaw?

"I" am a user, "I" close tabs accidentally often. Hence it's a design flaw. End of story.

Or maybe you all have become like the linux community?

"YOU DON'T NEED THAT!"

"NO ONE DOES THAT."

"USE ANOTHER OS!" 

"LAMER NOOB!" 

Surely they could have put an option to remove the darn close buttons, no? How much time would that take in say WPF, 10 minutes? 30 minutes for testing, another 60 minutes for unforseen stuff.... say 2 hours work. Isn't it worth it? Now I have to wait until 2012 or find a hack in order to be able to use this thing.

How much does 2 hours, heck one day cost for Microsoft to add such a small option?

How much did Microsoft lose just from me alone by not being able to purchase the pro licenses I need?

It is just sad to watch you all defend a design flaw.

It is also very enlightening to see how developers think and how they have no "business side" of things in their way of thinking.

At the end of the day, it is a design flaw and I will stand by it.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

turrican said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

...heh

NOT EVEN INTERNET EXPLORER has the close button like this, NOW WHY DO YOU THINK IT IS THAT WAY?

You people call this FORWARD DEVELOPMENT?

I mean seriously, just because YOU never accidentally closed a tab, you say for real that this is not a design flaw?

"I" am a user, "I" close tabs accidentally often. Hence it's a design flaw. End of story.

Or maybe you all have become like the linux community?

"YOU DON'T NEED THAT!"

"NO ONE DOES THAT."

"USE ANOTHER OS!" 

"LAMER NOOB!" 

Surely they could have put an option to remove the darn close buttons, no? How much time would that take in say WPF, 10 minutes? 30 minutes for testing, another 60 minutes for unforseen stuff.... say 2 hours work. Isn't it worth it? Now I have to wait until 2012 or find a hack in order to be able to use this thing.

How much does 2 hours, heck one day cost for Microsoft to add such a small option?

How much did Microsoft lose just from me alone by not being able to purchase the pro licenses I need?

It is just sad to watch you all defend a design flaw.

It is also very enlightening to see how developers think and how they have no "business side" of things in their way of thinking.

At the end of the day, it is a design flaw and I will stand by it.

• This has always been the case, CTPs probably. Everyone had a chance to provide feedback, did you open a connect bug? I personally can't remember myself closing a tab by mistake. In fact I quite like the new design.

Please desist from posting further on this issue. I had issues with Visual Studio and posted at connect.

Furthermore most developers here on channel nine have been using Visual Studio from Beta 1 to RC to the full release, so they love how it works.

</endof>

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.