Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

feature request for the c9 live video player

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    felix9

the silverlight live video player (Microsoft.Mix10.UI.Silverlight.xap) used in Mix10/VSLaunch events is very nice !

but I really want to request an important feature: out of the browser and always on top !

because I always need to browse the web (searching, downloading, discussing the just-released good stuff ),

or even try some cool tricks and features in visual studio, then the video player embedded in a web page goes behind and become useless,

it will be nice if I can make the player 'always on top', and silverlight 4 OOB does support the Window.TopMost property, so please take advantage of it

• User profile image
    Bass

Isn't there some kind of way to make a window as "always on top" using Windows's window manager?

• User profile image
    Dan

Hey Felix, thanks for your feedback, we've been considering adding the ability to optimize for a full screen on a monitor and use SL4's ability to keep something full screen but switch apps. Would that solve your issue?

• User profile image
    bitdisaster

Dan said:

Hey Felix, thanks for your feedback, we've been considering adding the ability to optimize for a full screen on a monitor and use SL4's ability to keep something full screen but switch apps. Would that solve your issue?

I would be fine with this

• User profile image
    spivonious

Bass said:

Isn't there some kind of way to make a window as "always on top" using Windows's window manager?

I wish, Bass. It's an application-implemented feature in Windows.

• User profile image
    felix9

Dan said:

ah, you mean I'll be able to play the video fullscreen in the background and switch to my browser/ide windows to the front ?

that will work I think, but I still believe that  the browser/ide windows will work better when maximized, and the video window can be a smaller but topmost window in the front, that will be better.

but the fullscreen mode can be implemented as a 'in the browser' app, and topmost windows requires OOB, maybe thats an overkill.

• User profile image
    felix9

well, ok, maybe I can use some third-party free programs to make my browser window top-most, like this one:

_http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

solved Big Smile

• User profile image
    rhm

Dan said:

Is there any chance you could take into account feedback lodged in the feedback forum 6 months or more ago? Like how about the player remembering the point you were in the video so when you accidentally navigate away from the page you don't have a tedious job of finding your place again?  No need for any server infrastructure if the 'next gen channel 9' site design is what's holding this up - just use isolated storage.

Oh and how about starting videos at max volume (except Laura's obviously Smiley )? Or at least remember the volume setting.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Dan said:

Well this is a bit more but here goes:

C9 OOB video app.....

let us have a 9 Guy icon that can run a SL4 app that shows recent videos and lets us pick one and play it. let us size the window and move it like any other windows app or do fullscreen.

you have feeds of the shows / videos already in the C9 system right? seems like it would not be that hard to make and a really cool demo of SL4 at the same time.

• User profile image
    CKurt

Dan said:

+1 do it asap Tongue Out I have multiple screens and would use it all the time Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.