Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Finally I get it

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CKurt

Yesterday and today i watched the sessions from DevDays 2010 from (Hans and Scott H) featured on the front page and finally I really get what a lot of the stuff talked about in previous C9 video's was talking about.

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/matthijs/Lap-Around-NET-4-with-Scott-Hanselman/
    http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/matthijs/C-40-and-beyond-by-Anders-Hejlsberg/

The C9 video's were very good at talking to the programmer about the problems they faced at solving a problem (eg co and contravarience , introducing the dynamic keyword) but were not always really clear on what problem they wanted to solve in the first place (although charles usually askes in the beginning of an interview)

I really feel like they should have posted the DevDays sessions first (something allike because I know they were justed filmed a week ago) and then post the interview in Going Deep or Expert to Expert about the problems. I have a much better understanding now. Does anybody else feel the same way or is it because I'm a student and not in 'the field' I did not get the C9 videos initially ?

• User profile image
    contextfree

I've certainly run into problems as a working .net developer that having covariance would have solved, although if I didn't have a bit of a programming-language theory background I might not have thought of it in those terms.  Because I did, my reaction to hearing about variance annotations in 4.0 was more like "finally!" than "what's this?  another thing I have to learn?"

so, that illustrates why you need both theory and practice.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

I try to keep up with Erik, but that guy is just on a whole other level.

I always work around these problems in my daily life, because I have to time to think about that stuff. I need to get stuff done.

And most of what we write is just to boring for words. Seldom we get to go really geeky on projects.

• User profile image
    Charles

Presentations at events are designed(hopefully) to provide maximum efficiencty with respect to helping those watching the sessions come away with new understanding/perspectives/etc related to the specific topic - that's the goal... 

It doesn't seem useful to me to plan content we make on C9 to be pre- or post-cursors fo the information presented at specific events with speakers providing information in that narrow context. This seems to work for you (watching a technical presentation, then learning the theory behind it in some conversational context - like Channel 9 interviews...) and that's great. The option for you would be to watch the sessions related to the information that interests you (from MIX or PDC or DevDays or Whatever conference), then watch the related Going Deep or E2Es or Screencasts to get a different perspective on the topic, that should expand your mind.

C

• User profile image
    CKurt

Charles said:

Presentations at events are designed(hopefully) to provide maximum efficiencty with respect to helping those watching the sessions come away with new understanding/perspectives/etc related to the specific topic - that's the goal... 

It doesn't seem useful to me to plan content we make on C9 to be pre- or post-cursors fo the information presented at specific events with speakers providing information in that narrow context. This seems to work for you (watching a technical presentation, then learning the theory behind it in some conversational context - like Channel 9 interviews...) and that's great. The option for you would be to watch the sessions related to the information that interests you (from MIX or PDC or DevDays or Whatever conference), then watch the related Going Deep or E2Es or Screencasts to get a different perspective on the topic, that should expand your mind.

C

Don't get me wrong I really like C9 videos but it's just something I forget I should understand the title before I watch it. I know the events are top view stuff and videos here dive deep (hense the name of the shows) but sometimes it would be helpfull if you could link to a resource providing the top level information (other video, artikle , book) when posting a deep dive video.

• User profile image
    felix9

CKurt said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Don't get me wrong I really like C9 videos but it's just something I forget I should understand the title before I watch it. I know the events are top view stuff and videos here dive deep (hense the name of the shows) but sometimes it would be helpfull if you could link to a resource providing the top level information (other video, artikle , book) when posting a deep dive video.

yeah, that's what tags and search boxes are for, and, the most effective way is to write more code, be hit by more problems, workaround them in ugly and hard ways, and feel the itch, and pain ! Wink

• User profile image
    Charles

CKurt said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I understood you... Smiley

C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.