Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Come out clean and admit it! :)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Ok, I go first.

I watch "LOVE HINA" and love it!

Smiley

• User profile image
    spivonious

I have to admit that the Love Hina girl is mega cute. Yes, I know she's a cartoon. Yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

spivonious said:

I have to admit that the Love Hina girl is mega cute. Yes, I know she's a cartoon. Yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy.

I like Hillary Duff.

What?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

spivonious said:

It's not a "she" it's a "it", and it's not a cartoon it's an anime, there is a HUGE difference between the 2!

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

> I watch "LOVE HINA" and love it!

Just watch more anime, and you'll love most of it Smiley it's not just one that's great.

P.S. There is nothing to admit, it's a fact proven mathematically Wink

• User profile image
    spivonious

Ion Todirel said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

It's not a "she" it's a "it", and it's not a cartoon it's an anime, there is a HUGE difference between the 2!

I say cartoon as in "animated", not implying any recommended viewer age (although at 28 I think I'm way too old for the target audience of Love Hina).

As far as anime in general, I prefer the more sci-fi/action ones with Akira probably my favorite movie.

• User profile image
    turrican

Ion Todirel said:

> I watch "LOVE HINA" and love it!

Just watch more anime, and you'll love most of it Smiley it's not just one that's great.

P.S. There is nothing to admit, it's a fact proven mathematically Wink

ah yeah, I eat that stuff a lot. hehhe... I also enjoy Hayao Miyazaki's works.

• User profile image
    bureX

The only anime I ever watched throughly was Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z on TV as a kid, and even then I couldn't get who's bright idea was it to constantly slow things down so much to achieve some non-existing dramatic effect (3-4 episodes could have easily be morphed into one), or connect an awesome all-powerful macho superhero with a "kawaii" anthropomorphic pig, or write "Kame House" on a freakin' house... No other anime has caught my attention since.

Recently tried to watch "Serial Experiments Lain" on YouTube and couldn't get what the heck was going on, so I just gave up. Maybe I'm just a shallow "baka gaijin", but what the heck...

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

spivonious said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

I say cartoon as in "animated", not implying any recommended viewer age (although at 28 I think I'm way too old for the target audience of Love Hina).

As far as anime in general, I prefer the more sci-fi/action ones with Akira probably my favorite movie.

> As far as anime in general, I prefer the more sci-fi/action ones with Akira probably my favorite movie.

Have you tried Ghost in the Shell? From the recent ones, Yukikaze also comes in my mind.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

bureX said:

The only anime I ever watched throughly was Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z on TV as a kid, and even then I couldn't get who's bright idea was it to constantly slow things down so much to achieve some non-existing dramatic effect (3-4 episodes could have easily be morphed into one), or connect an awesome all-powerful macho superhero with a "kawaii" anthropomorphic pig, or write "Kame House" on a freakin' house... No other anime has caught my attention since.

Recently tried to watch "Serial Experiments Lain" on YouTube and couldn't get what the heck was going on, so I just gave up. Maybe I'm just a shallow "baka gaijin", but what the heck...

> Recently tried to watch "Serial Experiments Lain" on YouTube and couldn't get what the heck was going on

And you started with something so "extreme", that's not something an non anime fan will endure Smiley You probably want something ala Garden of Sinners/Kino's Journey, perhaps?

• User profile image
    algorith

Ion Todirel said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

> As far as anime in general, I prefer the more sci-fi/action ones with Akira probably my favorite movie.

Have you tried Ghost in the Shell? From the recent ones, Yukikaze also comes in my mind.

I do like Ghost in the Shell. The first movie was great. 

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Love Hina was one of the first anime I ever watched (besides the stuff that was on TV like Dragonball Z). Also the first one I watched in Japanese with subtitles (the English dub really is god-awful). I still like it. It's got cute girls and a wacky sense of humour, what more do you want? Smiley

Plus, as a current student at "toudai" (University of Tokyo) I can tell you that the way people react in Love Hina when told someone is a student there is absolutely true.

Other favourites of mine include The Vision of Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell (particularly Stand Alone Complex, i.e. the TV series), Read or Die, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (strangest thing you'll ever see, guaranteed) and Cowboy Bebop.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Sven Groot said:

Love Hina was one of the first anime I ever watched (besides the stuff that was on TV like Dragonball Z). Also the first one I watched in Japanese with subtitles (the English dub really is god-awful). I still like it. It's got cute girls and a wacky sense of humour, what more do you want? Smiley

Plus, as a current student at "toudai" (University of Tokyo) I can tell you that the way people react in Love Hina when told someone is a student there is absolutely true.

Other favourites of mine include The Vision of Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell (particularly Stand Alone Complex, i.e. the TV series), Read or Die, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (strangest thing you'll ever see, guaranteed) and Cowboy Bebop.

A thread about manga and the Guyver doesnt come up?!?!

Shame on you guys!

• User profile image
    kettch

bureX said:

I've never understood any of what I've seen. Perhaps it's better in the original Klingon? I've tried, I really have, but I guess that tastes differ.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Sven Groot said:

Really enjoyed Ghost In The Shell, also quite enjoyed Appleseed Ex Machina the over day.  Off the other end of the scale is Titan Maximum Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Maddus Mattus said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

A thread about manga and the Guyver doesnt come up?!?!

Shame on you guys!

an anime only about unrealistically big machines fights is not really on my tastes, but that's just me

• User profile image
    spivonious

Ion Todirel said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

Ghost in the Shell was neat, but there was too much needless boobage. It really turns off a lot of "outsiders" since they assume it's all aimed at horny teenage boys. I haven't seen the second movie or the TV series.

I thought of another favorite of mine: Record of Lodoss War. I had a major crush on Deedlit about 10 years ago. lol

My roommate in college was an anime nut so I've seen most of the standards (Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, DBZ, etc.). It's very hard to filter out the "fan service" series.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

spivonious said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

Ghost in the Shell was neat, but there was too much needless boobage. It really turns off a lot of "outsiders" since they assume it's all aimed at horny teenage boys. I haven't seen the second movie or the TV series.

I thought of another favorite of mine: Record of Lodoss War. I had a major crush on Deedlit about 10 years ago. lol

My roommate in college was an anime nut so I've seen most of the standards (Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, DBZ, etc.). It's very hard to filter out the "fan service" series.

I haven't seen the second movie or the TV series.

I really prefer the TV series (Stand Alone Complex) over the movie. It's a well constructed sci-fi thriller rather than the philosophical nature of the movie, and just greatly appeals to me. The second season (2nd Gig) in particular was extremely well done and because it had fewer "stand alone" episodes than the first season also felt much more like like a seamless whole.

My main problem with the series is similar to your boobage complaint about the movie: Major Kusanagi's outfit. Her default outfit is fairly rediculous, especially for an elite soldier such as herself, and just seems there to show off her *.

I know that as a full-body cyborg she's probably not concerned about protection or how warm the clothes keep her, and that her outragious costumes are in the manga meant as an expression of her rebellious personality. But in the anime, that side of her is almost never shown and is even subverted (for example, her relationship with the chief in the anime is one of highest respect and trust, while in the manga she's very callous and disrespectful towards him). Because of that, the outfits just seem incongruous.

Fortunately 2nd Gig also improved that situation; the Major wore a military uniform much more often, and her combat suit and casual outfits were also much more reasonable than her standard outfit from the first season.

Another minor niggle are the Tachikoma. Yes, they're pretty cool and funny and used to great effect on occasion. But their child-like personality just isn't logical for what are essentially self-aware mini tanks. It's also feels incredibly out of place with the rest of the mood of the series.

Neither of those is nearly enough against the positive points of the show though. It simply rocks, and Aramaki is simply the most badass anime character ever. More badass than Major Kusanagi even, albeit in a totally different way. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.