Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

"Apps" in our cars?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • intelman

Ford just announced the support for Android and Blackberry Applications.

http://mashable.com/2010/04/20/ford-sync-applink/

This is kinda cool. I can envision some pretty sweet applications if the auto manufactures allow it. Imagine running the same application between your phone and your car. Perhaps we can have streaming of music from our home collection using Windows 7's media streaming feature in Windows Media Player. Or perhaps the streamign feature in the next Windows Home Server.

Maybe even geeky stuff. Applications similar to that of our PCs that measure voltages on the different rails, temperatures and fan RPM speeds. Imagine some slick apps that could graph your engine temperature or gas mileage over time. All these geeky things could be a real possibility.

Cars have gotten quite complicated, complicated to the point that many cannot do their own auto work. But perhaps this could keep mechanics honest if all information is available to us. Who knows, it just sounds neat.

Hopefully there is not much market segmentation in the future. If all cars supported this (which wont happen soon), would you have to buy separate apps for your toyota, audi, and ford?

• ZippyV

I'd like to see Bluetooth audio streaming. WinMo 6.1 supports it but not the media player.

• mstefan

ZippyV said:

I'd like to see Bluetooth audio streaming. WinMo 6.1 supports it but not the media player.

Awesome. More fart, lolcats and clock apps, this time for your car! Alas, where there are cool things, stupid inevitably follows (heck, what am I saying... a lot of the time stupid is at the front of the line, leading everything else).

• Maddus Mattus

mstefan said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

Awesome. More fart, lolcats and clock apps, this time for your car! Alas, where there are cool things, stupid inevitably follows (heck, what am I saying... a lot of the time stupid is at the front of the line, leading everything else).

Drove behind a lady this morning doing her makeup whilst driving 120 km/h. She was all over the place.

Imagine women using apps, doing makeup and driving their car. Recipe for disaster!

• Bigfellahull

Maddus Mattus said:
    mstefan said:
    *snip*

Drove behind a lady this morning doing her makeup whilst driving 120 km/h. She was all over the place.

Imagine women using apps, doing makeup and driving their car. Recipe for disaster!

Great... another distraction whilst driving is just what I need!  Smiley

The idea and possibilities are amazingly cool though. A diagnostic app, to solve simple mechnical problems would be very welcome.

• Maximus​Paynicus

I'm torn on the idea. On one hand, endless potential with the use of turn-by-turn GPS apps that go through your stereo speakers and, just maybe, some kind of automotive diagnostic program that can highlight or otherwise list what is malfunctioning on your vehicle.

On the other hand, someone'll end up dead because the dingle berry behind 'em was distracted by their game of Bejeweled. 

• intelman

I was thinking under the assumption of applications that would be heavily filterd (Apple style) so that one cannot be distracted while driving. I suppose one would like to see all their voltages and fuel consumption graphs in real time, would that distract them, I dunno.

People already have voltage, oil pressure, boost gauges for turbo cars...etc.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.