Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Dell Windows Phone 7 Leak?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ian2
  • kettch

I'm sure we are going to see some nice devices over the next few months. They better be available at launch time. I don't want to have to import the phone I want from another country. I'm looking at you HTC.

Otherwise, this is a good start.

• giovanni

kettch said:

I'm sure we are going to see some nice devices over the next few months. They better be available at launch time. I don't want to have to import the phone I want from another country. I'm looking at you HTC.

Otherwise, this is a good start.

Somehow I have the feeling that won't be world wide...

• ManipUni

The term "leak" is thrown around a lot these days...

I think it is very safe to say that based on the stories Engadget has written about Dell's phones that there is a contract in place with big wads of $$$ going into Engadget's pockets. Frankly you'd have to be a fanboy to not think you're reading an advert.

• Sven Groot

Interesting, especially since when Dell stopped making PocketPCs there reason was that Windows Mobile was moving away from PocketPC devices in favour of the smartphone, and they didn't want to make smartphones. Perplexed

• Ray7

ManipUni said:

The term "leak" is thrown around a lot these days...

I think it is very safe to say that based on the stories Engadget has written about Dell's phones that there is a contract in place with big wads of $$$ going into Engadget's pockets. Frankly you'd have to be a fanboy to not think you're reading an advert.

And this applies equally to Apple.

Still, a nice-looking phone. But which to go for? Win7 or Android?

Generic Forum Image

The Dell Thunder

• ManipUni

Ray7 said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Generic Forum Image

The Dell Thunder

Neither. In my view it is a bad time to being buying a phone. While a few years ago Apple owned the market, you are now seeing all of the phone manufacturers trying to carve out a little niche in the market for themselves. Until they find what it is they want to be doing you might very well find yourself with an unsupported product in two years time (24 month contract).

Android still needs work and a lot more community support. Windows 7 is vaporware at this stage and Apple is locking down the iPhone so hard it is hardly fun any longer.

• Ian2
  • Cream​Filling512

ManipUni said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Neither. In my view it is a bad time to being buying a phone. While a few years ago Apple owned the market, you are now seeing all of the phone manufacturers trying to carve out a little niche in the market for themselves. Until they find what it is they want to be doing you might very well find yourself with an unsupported product in two years time (24 month contract).

Android still needs work and a lot more community support. Windows 7 is vaporware at this stage and Apple is locking down the iPhone so hard it is hardly fun any longer.

One thing about WP7 that's not vaporware though, the awesome dev tools.  Screw Android's Java implementation or writing objective C on a Mac.

• magicalclick

Best time to get a Win Phone 7 before those cursed OEM start to find loopholes to load more crapware to destroy WinPhone experience. One way I already can imagine is to make a FM radio not detectable by OS and only detectable by their crapware. Thus, the music won't show FM and has to use their ad based crapware. Imagine they start doing that on camera, GPS, and more. Scary OEM and MS only makes cheap phones, arrrr.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • PaoloM

Ray7 said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Generic Forum Image

The Dell Thunder

Damn, why can't the WP7 one be keyboardless? Mad

• PaoloM

magicalclick said:

Best time to get a Win Phone 7 before those cursed OEM start to find loopholes to load more crapware to destroy WinPhone experience. One way I already can imagine is to make a FM radio not detectable by OS and only detectable by their crapware. Thus, the music won't show FM and has to use their ad based crapware. Imagine they start doing that on camera, GPS, and more. Scary OEM and MS only makes cheap phones, arrrr.

If you read the "leaked" OEM doc, they won't be able to.

• spivonious

I haven't had a cell phone for 5 years now but I have to admit that WinPhone7 is making me rethink my decision.

• PaoloM

CreamFilling512 said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

One thing about WP7 that's not vaporware though, the awesome dev tools.  Screw Android's Java implementation or writing objective C on a Mac.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Damn it, yes.

• Bas

It looks good, but I'm not convinced by the portrait keyboard. Never used one, but I'd imagine a landscape one would be more convenient. Also I'm not sure how fat this thing is. In the rightmost shot it looks pretty fat, but the sideways shot on engadget looks way thinner.

What's that blue thing on the keyboard?

• Bigfellahull

Bas said:

It looks good, but I'm not convinced by the portrait keyboard. Never used one, but I'd imagine a landscape one would be more convenient. Also I'm not sure how fat this thing is. In the rightmost shot it looks pretty fat, but the sideways shot on engadget looks way thinner.

What's that blue thing on the keyboard?

I would say the blue button is probably a function key?

The phone looks good, a little retro perhaps, but I like that. Although if my experiences with Dell PC's are anything to go by, the device won't be very reliable.

• Harlequin

Bigfellahull said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

I would say the blue button is probably a function key?

The phone looks good, a little retro perhaps, but I like that. Although if my experiences with Dell PC's are anything to go by, the device won't be very reliable.

Screw all this. I want dates....I want carriers....and I want them now =P

• Bass

Looks a nice phone, both the Android and the WinMo7 versions. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.