34 posts

Dell Windows Phone 7 Leak?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • vesuvius

Harlequin said:
    Bigfellahull said:
    *snip*

Screw all this. I want dates....I want carriers....and I want them now =P

I would like one too, they look absolutely gorgeous.

• vesuvius

PaoloM said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

If you read the "leaked" OEM doc, they won't be able to.

I am on the three network, my phone broke, and they sent me a replacement with their hideous logo on it. Unfortunately I had opened the package (my initial phone did not have their ugly logo) so that was that.

I know the Dell has branding, but it looks to be of a high quality, and it's on the back.  When I get a phone I want exactly what I see, that includes no crapware. I know Microsoft have an intimate relationship with companies like Dell, but they must give people the option to have no utter rubbishware on their devices. Just like the stipulation that the phone must have 3 buttons, they must provide the option to remove all the 20% baked applications OEM manufacturers provide,if not ensure they do not in the first place.

• wkempf

vesuvius said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

I am on the three network, my phone broke, and they sent me a replacement with their hideous logo on it. Unfortunately I had opened the package (my initial phone did not have their ugly logo) so that was that.

I know the Dell has branding, but it looks to be of a high quality, and it's on the back.  When I get a phone I want exactly what I see, that includes no crapware. I know Microsoft have an intimate relationship with companies like Dell, but they must give people the option to have no utter rubbishware on their devices. Just like the stipulation that the phone must have 3 buttons, they must provide the option to remove all the 20% baked applications OEM manufacturers provide,if not ensure they do not in the first place.

Did you read the leaked doc? OEMs are restricted to installing 6 applications beyond those that come with the OS, and those applications must be approved by Microsoft. If a WP7 phone comes with crapware, the one to blame will be Microsoft, not the OEM. That's entirely the opposite of where we are with PCs today. I think it's going to be highly unlikely that any WP7 phone is going to come with what we traditionally think of as crapware. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't come with software you don't like... but that's true even for the iPhone which is entirely under the control of Apple.

• vesuvius

wkempf said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Did you read the leaked doc? OEMs are restricted to installing 6 applications beyond those that come with the OS, and those applications must be approved by Microsoft. If a WP7 phone comes with crapware, the one to blame will be Microsoft, not the OEM. That's entirely the opposite of where we are with PCs today. I think it's going to be highly unlikely that any WP7 phone is going to come with what we traditionally think of as crapware. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't come with software you don't like... but that's true even for the iPhone which is entirely under the control of Apple.

I had not read the complete article (@ work) so thanks for the clarification. I still think it's 6 applications too many, but the fact that there is monitoring is both a blessing and a curse I guess.

I've recently got a new OEM machine, and I've still not had the chance to remove the rubbish bundled along with it. It really does detract from the experience. They need to maintain high quality all the way with WP7.

• Bigfellahull

vesuvius said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

I had not read the complete article (@ work) so thanks for the clarification. I still think it's 6 applications too many, but the fact that there is monitoring is both a blessing and a curse I guess.

I've recently got a new OEM machine, and I've still not had the chance to remove the rubbish bundled along with it. It really does detract from the experience. They need to maintain high quality all the way with WP7.

I hope we get the option to remove the OEM apps (unlikely I know). I hate getting into a situation like I did with the iPhone where I move the apps I don't want to a page and have to try and forget about them.

• Minh

CreamFilling512 said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

One thing about WP7 that's not vaporware though, the awesome dev tools.  Screw Android's Java implementation or writing objective C on a Mac.

Can someone tell me what the Droid apps are based on? Strictly JAVA?  ... Objective-C is kinda kicking my a$$, so, I'm looking towards Droid or WP7.

With the Droid OS being free, I'm not sure if WP7 can compete with it for that #2 spot

• Bass

Minh said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

Can someone tell me what the Droid apps are based on? Strictly JAVA?  ... Objective-C is kinda kicking my a$$, so, I'm looking towards Droid or WP7.

With the Droid OS being free, I'm not sure if WP7 can compete with it for that #2 spot

Java or C

• vesuvius

Minh said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

But you are Win Phone 7 developer already. You can get a web service up and running quicker than I can drop a hat, and Silverlight has oodles of examples if you need to get up to speed.

I know WPF pretty well now, and WCF, so developing for the device should be a walk in the park. The costs will be passed onto the customer, who will love the fact that it is Microsoft who are not going to go out of business anytime soon, and they can expect a reasonable period of support so that wins the argument for me.

It would be good to get a pure Linux or mono solution as they are just having to jump through stupid obstacles that people place in their way. For my money, The WPF images look better than the Driod.

• Minh

vesuvius said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

But you are Win Phone 7 developer already. You can get a web service up and running quicker than I can drop a hat, and Silverlight has oodles of examples if you need to get up to speed.

I know WPF pretty well now, and WCF, so developing for the device should be a walk in the park. The costs will be passed onto the customer, who will love the fact that it is Microsoft who are not going to go out of business anytime soon, and they can expect a reasonable period of support so that wins the argument for me.

It would be good to get a pure Linux or mono solution as they are just having to jump through stupid obstacles that people place in their way. For my money, The WPF images look better than the Driod.

Yeah, I know. It should be easy to transition from .Net to Silverlight to WP7. I'm just covering my bases since Android has a headstart... and it's free for manufacturers.

• Maximus​Paynicus

It certainly looks sharp, but I'm not quite ready to trust Dell with making a quality cell phone just yet. Not to mention the portrait keyboard is a deal breaker for me -- it's why I stayed away from Palm and wound up buying a Cliq. 

• magicalclick

PaoloM said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

If you read the "leaked" OEM doc, they won't be able to.

Actually my case is legilimate. It didn't crap the media hub in WinPh7. The FM function simply can't detect FM hardware because it wasn't "build" as a FM tuner. That's call it a FFM tuner so WinPh7 can't use it in media hub. Then, out of those 6 pre-installed program, one is called FFM-Player. Totally legilimtate.

Make GPS detectable since it is required, but it will never update location properly until you used their GGGGGPS-app. OEM can so do this.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • magicalclick

wkempf said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Assume MS is actually able to block evil OEMs. If all OEMs refuse to co-operate, then, what is MS going to do? MS doesn't make any hardware that runs Windows/Windows Phone.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • PaoloM

Minh said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

From what I saw so far, WP7 kicks Androids * to the next zipcode in terms of consistency and ease of development.

And yes, I've tried to develop Android apps. Not fun. Smiley

• magicalclick

PaoloM said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

From what I saw so far, WP7 kicks Androids * to the next zipcode in terms of consistency and ease of development.

And yes, I've tried to develop Android apps. Not fun. Smiley

BTW, is the WinPh7 silverlight the same as silverlight4? Does this mean SL4 has multi-touch and works across platforms?

Last modified
  • kettch

magicalclick said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

BTW, is the WinPh7 silverlight the same as silverlight4? Does this mean SL4 has multi-touch and works across platforms?

WP7 development is currently based on Silverlight 3 with some additions to support phone scenarios. Multitouch for Silverlight was first introduced in v3.

• wkempf

magicalclick said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

Assume MS is actually able to block evil OEMs. If all OEMs refuse to co-operate, then, what is MS going to do? MS doesn't make any hardware that runs Windows/Windows Phone.

Ahh... a conspiracy theorist. I'll try once to let reality into your life, and then I'll move on.

OEMs are legally bound by the agreement. They can be "evil" all they want, they can't get away with bypassing the agreement without legal repercussions. So, yes, Microsoft can stop them. It remains to be seen if they will, but if they don't the consumer ire will for the first time be rightfully aimed at them. I really don't expect to see that happen, and if you do, well, you're back to fantasy land IMO.

There's little chance that all the OEMs will refuse to co-operate. It's not in their best interest. Let's assume that they do, however. You're argument is that Microsoft will have nothing they can do about it because they don't make phone's that will run WP7. That's a silly argument, though, because they do make phones, and therefore there's no barrier to making a phone that will run WP7 (I'm not sure that the two recently announced phones couldn't run WP7, but let's assume they can't).

So, you're predicting doom and gloom when there's very little likelyhood of it in reality. WP7 might flop for any number of reasons, but it won't be due to the combination of all vendors refusing to abide by the agreement and Microsoft not having their own hardware. Taking into consideration all indicators, I'll go out on a limb and predict it's not really likely that WP7 will flop for other reasons as well.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.