Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Convincing coldfusion guys

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • TS

Hi Guys,

Came across this site the other day and its very informative!

I am currently developing websites as a hobby with a few friends using coldfusion. Its a great language, very simple and easy to prototype. We recently moved to a mcv framework in coldfusion, called coldbox.

I have recently been interested in getting into asp.net. I was look at the mvc framework and it seems very interesting and powerful. However, my friends are very reluctant to change as they say "they see no benefit changing to asp.net over staying coldfusion".

I was wondering if you guys could tell me, is asp.net more useful for creating web apps/sites and if so, can you help me convice my friends!!!

Thanks.

• magicalclick

I am just getting started as well. But, it is better you become a master before draging everyone else with you. It is not about our opinions if you can't carry out those claim yourself. It is important to let them feel secured that, there is one expert to resolve the issue when something goes bad. When you introduce a new thing, it is your responsibility more than theirs.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • Ray7

Well, it could just be that they're right; Coldfusion has just about everything you need right out of the box. It can be extended with Java and with the right frameworks does a fine job of MVC. It's actually hard to pick between them to be honest.

If they're used to doing Coldfusion, not sure what you're hoping to gain by changing.

• TS

Ray7 said:

Well, it could just be that they're right; Coldfusion has just about everything you need right out of the box. It can be extended with Java and with the right frameworks does a fine job of MVC. It's actually hard to pick between them to be honest.

If they're used to doing Coldfusion, not sure what you're hoping to gain by changing.

Thanks for the replys.

There are a number of reasons. One, coldfusion developers are hard to find! There is just so much more opportunity in .net. Also, coldfusion oop can be really slow. Well, in my experiences anyway. I just found asp.net a lot more snappy?

Cost is also a factor. Coldfusion 9 is pretty expensive. 

• W3bbo

TS said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Thanks for the replys.

There are a number of reasons. One, coldfusion developers are hard to find! There is just so much more opportunity in .net. Also, coldfusion oop can be really slow. Well, in my experiences anyway. I just found asp.net a lot more snappy?

Then you've got some good reasons right there.

ColdFusion's throughput speed will be acceptable, but I imagine there might be relatively long start-up times. Then there's also the question of scalability.

If you're starting a small to medium scale project from scratch, why not give ASP.NET a trial on that (it doesn't even need to cost anything: VWD is freeware, and Mono has a Free software implementation of ASP.NET (with MVC and AJAX)) and if you're looking for cheap ASP.NET webhosts they're everywhere (pssst, including me!). If it works well for you then that's that.

• magicalclick

TS said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Thanks for the replys.

coldfusion developers are hard to find

I think that would be an advantage form them.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • Ray7

TS said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Thanks for the replys.

Fair comment, though there are a number of Coldfusion servers that are free.

Blue Dragon and Railo spring to mind. I think the former also runs on top IIS.

But yes, CF developers are pretty rare these days.

• Bigfellahull

magicalclick said:
    TS said:
    *snip*

coldfusion developers are hard to find

I think that would be an advantage form them.

It is. A friend of mine told me the other day they hired a senior CF developer on a gigantic salary (more then they wanted to pay) because they couldnt find anyone cheaper with the same skill set!

However, whilst it may be advantageous to seasoned CF developers, not sure it would be so positive for a neebie just starting out. Like W3bbo said, try it out and see it you prefer it. 

• turrican

LOL Coldfusion, what is this, year 2000? If I were you, I would just leave the project. wtf wasting my time on a CF project, sheesh. You should work on projects which also give you good reference for job applications, and I CERTAINLY DOUBT that Coldfusion is one of them. :]

• W3bbo

turrican said:

LOL Coldfusion, what is this, year 2000? If I were you, I would just leave the project. wtf wasting my time on a CF project, sheesh. You should work on projects which also give you good reference for job applications, and I CERTAINLY DOUBT that Coldfusion is one of them. :]

Waaaaay to make a positive and constructive addition to the forum thread, turrican.

• turrican

W3bbo said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Waaaaay to make a positive and constructive addition to the forum thread, turrican.

But I did add a constructive and positive addition : "...I would just leave the project..."

Perhaps you missed that line.

Smiley

Many times, that IS the best solution to a problem imho.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.