Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials functionality

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • deedubb

Please help me, I consider myself a rather 'advanced' Windows user but I'm having a simple problem...

Microsoft Security Essentials has this context-menu option, "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials..." -- what I want is the ability to scan things on the fly, so google showed some discouraging entries, such as http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/af9ea7da-2ea7-4455-95cd-875646bdde59...

But I'm so sure if there is a context menu and there is a way to make it scan files or directories... So I started in the registry. I found a MSSE shell extenstion reference to "{0365FE2C-F183-4091-AC82-BFC39FB75C49}", which points at c:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\shellext.dll; makes sense. But now what? When I look at the exported functions of the DLL all I see are the typical register/unregister type stuff

Then I thought I was digging too deep, so i tried scanning a file and just looking at the running command line, that just revealed /hide /runkey command line options.

So, in hopes of learning some fundamental Windows troubleshooting I've come to the experts to assist me in what seems to be a simple question which has already taken me too long to answer Wink

Thanks,
    Dane

• magicalclick

Huh? It is automatic anyway, as long as its system tray icon is green. All anti-virus does that.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • Bass

I can confirm that MSE already does this. It will auto-scan anything new that pops up on your computer.

• giovanni

I am comfused at why you find the forum discussion on MS Answers discouraging: someone asked about the CMD interface for MSE: you can run it on a CMD in two ways: running any command on the file name (echo will work just fine) or using the official command line c:\program files\microsoft security essentials\MPCMDRUN.EXE. All of this was on a link posted on the Answers page.

But of course, as everyone else mentioned above you should not need to do that as the real time protection takes care of it.

• blowdart

So what are you trying to do? Find a way to programmatically scan a file? If that's what you need then the antivirus API may work better, as it will run any compatible anti-virus, which the majority are these days. Mind you, you're suddenly in pinvoke territory

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.