Coffeehouse Thread

72 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ubuntu 10.04

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bass

    Sorry, I had to make a post on this, since it is two days till RTM.

     

    It seems to be shaping up to be an interesting release.

     

    Radically new default theme (ZOMG window controls on the left), shiny new boot loader (Plymouth), kernel-mode setting (for some video drivers), and a improved Software Center that is actually quite usable. Smiley

     

    Anyone planning on downloading/using it? (I already am.) More importantly, anyone planning on baking me some Ubuntu cookies

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    I've been using it since the first beta--  even back then, it was the best Ubuntu release yet.  Fast, stable...  this one might actually be worthy of calling a Long Term Support release (the last one wasn't, thanks to some changes they made before the software they switched to was ready).

  • User profile image
    turrican

    CannotResolveSymbol said:

    I've been using it since the first beta--  even back then, it was the best Ubuntu release yet.  Fast, stable...  this one might actually be worthy of calling a Long Term Support release (the last one wasn't, thanks to some changes they made before the software they switched to was ready).

    wow, so u'll be able to use this for 6 months now?

    Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    turrican

    Have you seen this "Can it blend" thing on YouTube? I see ubuntu as that, a bunch of other OSes blended together ( gUI ) in the worst possible way... and now, the buttons on the left by default... probably change for sake of change and nothing else. "Yeah, let us be different."

     

    I find it major "lolwtfbbq".

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    turrican said:

    Have you seen this "Can it blend" thing on YouTube? I see ubuntu as that, a bunch of other OSes blended together ( gUI ) in the worst possible way... and now, the buttons on the left by default... probably change for sake of change and nothing else. "Yeah, let us be different."

     

    I find it major "lolwtfbbq".

    Yeah I don't know about buttons on the left, but I'm sure the user won't be locked into that. Linux is all about options.

     

    After using Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop for the past 3-4 months, I have to admit that I have no complaints, aside from it failing to reconnect my wireless connection after resume. And the compiz effects blow anything Microsoft or Apple has away. It's silly, but my favorite part is the animation that happens when you move a window.

  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

    Comment removed at user's request.

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    I have been using it at work with KVM. It has worked without problems. It's not my distro of choice* but I have no much bad things to say about it.

     

    (Fedora 13 + Intel Core i5 + 4G + integrated GPU / open source driver)

  • User profile image
    Bass

    SharePoint Guy said:

    I had a bad experiance with it!! I have a Satellite Pro with an i5 CPU. Beta 1 and Beta 2 crashed all the time. I disabled the nVIDIA drivers, number of crashes went down but still very very bad experiance. Maybe because it's beta.. because 9.10 ran without any problems!

    Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking it is probably related to a serious memory leak bug in X.org/DRI2 that affects almost anyone using Intel GPUs. This bug [should] be fixed by the final release.

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    Bass said:
    SharePoint Guy said:
    *snip*

    Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking it is probably related to a serious memory leak bug in X.org/DRI2 that affects almost anyone using Intel GPUs. This bug [should] be fixed by the final release.

    "We got a great deal of feedback, thanks a lot to everybody! This allowed us to push this change into lucid final"

    Ubuntu devel mailing list: Re: Call for testing: X.org server update [URGENT]

  • User profile image
    Bass

    It looks like it was just recently released.

     

    http://www.ubuntu.com

     

    Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop Edition torrents:

    http://hr.releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent(32-bit)

    http://hr.releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent (64-bit)

     

    Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition torrents:

    http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-server-amd64.iso.torrent (64-bit)

    http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-server-i386.iso.torrent (32-bit)

     

    There doesn't seem to be a torrent for the netbook edition, but you can [try] downloading from the site if that even works.

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    Bass said:

    It looks like it was just recently released.

     

    http://www.ubuntu.com

     

    Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop Edition torrents:

    http://hr.releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent(32-bit)

    http://hr.releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent (64-bit)

     

    Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition torrents:

    http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-server-amd64.iso.torrent (64-bit)

    http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubuntu-10.04-server-i386.iso.torrent (32-bit)

     

    There doesn't seem to be a torrent for the netbook edition, but you can [try] downloading from the site if that even works.

    Bass, will this show up in the Update Manager, or do I need to download something extra? Will it do an in-place upgrade?

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    spivonious said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

    Bass, will this show up in the Update Manager, or do I need to download something extra? Will it do an in-place upgrade?

    I don't know when or if they'll push it out so that it shows by default (for all I know, they could be pushing it now), but (on 9.10) you should be able to run "update-manager -d" (no quotes) and be prompted to upgrade.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    spivonious said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

    Bass, will this show up in the Update Manager, or do I need to download something extra? Will it do an in-place upgrade?

    It should already show up in Update Manager, but the update servers are EXTREMELY slow right now.

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    Bass said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

    It should already show up in Update Manager, but the update servers are EXTREMELY slow right now.

    It popped up this morning. I started the update process before I left for work. How does this release compare to a Windows release? Is it more like a service pack, or is it a major release?

  • User profile image
    Bass

    spivonious said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

    It popped up this morning. I started the update process before I left for work. How does this release compare to a Windows release? Is it more like a service pack, or is it a major release?

    It's a bit hard to quantify compared to Windows. Maybe somewhere between a service pack and a major release?

     

    When you upgrade Ubuntu, it actually upgrades everything on your computer (ie. all the software you have installed via apt-get, your IDEs, your games, everything). That is a 'little' different then when you upgrade Windows.

  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

    I noticed something slick with this, besides its blazing speed.  When your session is locked, and someone wakes the machine, they can leave you a message without having to unlock the machine.  This is a really nice feature that I would like to see ported to Windows.

     

    -Josh

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    JoshRoss said:

    I noticed something slick with this, besides its blazing speed.  When your session is locked, and someone wakes the machine, they can leave you a message without having to unlock the machine.  This is a really nice feature that I would like to see ported to Windows.

     

    -Josh

    Yes...  that's a nice little feature that's been in the past several versions of Gnome's screen lock utility (I don't know exactly when it was introduced, but it's not new).  Surprised no one else has picked up on it...  it's not a hugely critical feature, but it's nice on the rare occasion that you do need it.

  • User profile image
    daniel.forga

    turrican said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*

    wow, so u'll be able to use this for 6 months now?

    Tongue Out

    this is a long term support release. 3 years on the desktop, 5 on the server. no match to microsoft, but hey - the wikipedia servers are running it  Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.