Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

how many fingers does your multitouch pc support at the same time?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    hordak3000

Last week I got the Acer 1825ptz, a small convertible similar to the device the pdc attendants were given last year. I was interested in checking out the new multitouch capabilities in wpf4.

I was a bit surprised when I recognized that the device, which is advertised as multitouch capable, actually supports only two fingers. Ok, that's more than one, so they can call it multi, I suppose. Still I was expecting something more.

Does anyone own some of those hp touchsmarts or similar devices? What are your experiences? What is the maximum number of fingers supported on the multitouch pcs or screens usually these days?

• User profile image
    Ian2

Before I had the PDC Tablet I had an HP TX2 which supported 4 touch points.  ( At the moment I am finding that two touch points is sufficient for most development purposes)

• User profile image
    wkempf

I believe the norm is 2, and it's generally sufficient.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

wkempf said:

I believe the norm is 2, and it's generally sufficient.

I'm fairly sure I've used at least five fingers in MS Paint on my EeePC Multitouch -- I shall check this evening assuming I can wrench it away from the kids for a few minutes.

Herbie

• User profile image
    intelman

Two on my HP Touchsmart TM2.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I don't have a touch device, but I believe the standard is two. It lets you do the moving and resizing gestures, which seem to be all people need.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

spivonious said:

I don't have a touch device, but I believe the standard is two. It lets you do the moving and resizing gestures, which seem to be all people need.

Good Lord -- I've just checked my touch PC and it does indeed only support 2 fingers!  Why on earth did I believe I had used up to five?

I must be getting old -- my mind's obviously not what it used to be.  Perplexed

Herbie

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Dr Herbie said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

I'm fairly sure I've used at least five fingers in MS Paint on my EeePC Multitouch -- I shall check this evening assuming I can wrench it away from the kids for a few minutes.

Herbie

For a paint application you can set the application to track each finger. In most other typical applications you typically have the motion detectors in the top left and right hand corners, so any more than two fingers results in fingers blocking the path of a motion detector and the application loses track of what it is meant to be tracking and you get jerky and wierd behavior

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.