Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    elmer

brian.shapiro said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

I just found this article on Reuters,

Microsoft echoes Apple view on Adobe's Flash

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63T47V20100430?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reuters/technologyNews+(News+/+US+/+Technology)">http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63T47V20100430?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reuters/technologyNews+(News+/+US+/+Technology

Which seems pretty biased, by suggesting that Microsoft is endorsing Apple's position when there's no evidence they are. The general manager of IE just agreed with Apple that Flash has some technical issues. Obviously, because they're developing Silverlight, they think Flash has some place in the market too.

That's from IEBlog

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2010/04/29/html5-video.aspx

Posted by Dean Hachamovitch... for whatever that's worth.

• User profile image
    brichpmr

Regarding the quality of Flash video presence on the web, just about the only place where I find the format to be implemented with excellent quality is at the Berlin Philharmonic's Digital Concert Hall (that's an awesome implementation, btw). Other than that, I'll invoke ClicktoFlash in any place where I can opt for a higher quality H.264 option....and, that includes YouTube.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

brian.shapiro said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*

Wait what does he mean by natively

Given Silverlight's rapid release schedule, I'd have thought the worst thing you could do would be in anyway tie it to IE.

• User profile image
    exoteric

PaoloM said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

Beats me. Silverlight works fine here on IE9...

I suspect he means that it is not "built into" the browser or shipped with the browser.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

exoteric said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

I suspect he means that it is not "built into" the browser or shipped with the browser.

Nor should it be. Silverlight updates much more quickly than IE, so the usefulness of shipping Silverlight with IE would be only short-lived, and Adobe would likely complain that MS is using their dominance in the browser space to push Silverlight if they bundled it.

• User profile image
    exoteric

Sven Groot said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

Nor should it be. Silverlight updates much more quickly than IE, so the usefulness of shipping Silverlight with IE would be only short-lived, and Adobe would likely complain that MS is using their dominance in the browser space to push Silverlight if they bundled it.

A pre-selected option in the installer to install Silverlight is fine. That's for separate installations. Windows should probably come with Silverlight pre-installed and auto-updated when it boots for the first time. For the EU, the browser ballot Internet Explorer choice would implicitly include Silverlight. The EU couldn't possibly defend a "plugin ballot". A browser ballot okay but a plugin ballot, that would be seriously rediculous. Also, there are security considerations: what is the security track record of Flash vs Silverlight? Then again, one could argue that Silverlight has not been properly "field tested" because it's not interesting enough of a target, ironically, due to its low market penetration.

• User profile image
    elmer

Rumours are that Jobs might have to explain Apple's position on this (and other things) to the DOJ and/or FTC

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/an_antitrust_app_buvCWcJdjFoLD5vBSkguGO

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.