Coffeehouse Thread

56 posts

Courier Dead

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

That's assuming it was ever on track to be an actual product, but apparently the Courier project is dead.

Too bad. Maybe someone will create Courier-like software for the iPad.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/29/microsoft-confirms-kills-courier-in-one-fell-swoop/

• User profile image
    rhm

I said it was just a research concept, and from the UI interaction video I just watched, not a very good one.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

How do you make software Courier-like?  Something like OneNote?

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

CreamFilling512 said:

How do you make software Courier-like?  Something like OneNote?

Yeah. I guess.

• User profile image
    xgamer

Though I have been skeptic  about ( as that many other MS Research - Techfest / Concept Video  - Prototypes ) Courier and was expecting it to be another vaporware, I feel sad sometimes when my feeling become truth.

I think MS Management has to seriously rethink their product lifecycle management style, where they overpromise or atleast create great enthusiasm thru videos and their talks and then never deliver ( not even under ... ).  I think in the current network connected world where news travels so fast ... it will create a disillusion about MS promises in the minds of general public and specially in the minds of MS followers ... 

So whats next Natal Cancellation ... I dont think Dovella will be a fanboy of MS a lot longer Tongue Out

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I have never consider it alive to begin with. I never understand why they even make such eleborate video to begin with.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ray7

Mmmm. I was a huge fan of this concept. Disappointing to see MS drop it, but not altogether surprising given the runaway success of the iPad.

• User profile image
    Ray7

magicalclick said:

I have never consider it alive to begin with. I never understand why they even make such eleborate video to begin with.

Well, at some point I think they were actually planning to release it, but lost their bottle (which they tend to do with most of their innovative stuff).

Although I would love to have something like this, from a business point of view the decision makes sense. They have the iPad finally showing folk how tablets should be done (though I'm not a fan) and Android making its way onto other devices.

To cap it all, HP has come to its senses and cancelled the awful Slate abomination, which is excellent news because it means they've probably decided to work on a tablet device running WebOS.

The market for mobile devices is getting pretty crowded and MS is getting forced out. They can't afford to dilute their efforts. I think we'll see a few more interesting project cancellations before Christmas.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Ray7 said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

Well, at some point I think they were actually planning to release it, but lost their bottle (which they tend to do with most of their innovative stuff).

Although I would love to have something like this, from a business point of view the decision makes sense. They have the iPad finally showing folk how tablets should be done (though I'm not a fan) and Android making its way onto other devices.

To cap it all, HP has come to its senses and cancelled the awful Slate abomination, which is excellent news because it means they've probably decided to work on a tablet device running WebOS.

The market for mobile devices is getting pretty crowded and MS is getting forced out. They can't afford to dilute their efforts. I think we'll see a few more interesting project cancellations before Christmas.

The real disappointment for me is that this will probably mean the end for handwriting recognition.

Ah, well…

• User profile image
    Ray7

magicalclick said:

Speculation from a few comments on Engadget. 

MS was hoping to slow iPad sales by releasing more videos and leaking a 'tentative release date'. 

I think they were going to release something, but realised that with their partners deserting Windows left, right and centre then they could no longer afford to introduce another OS paradigm. 

• User profile image
    ManipUni

While I think the concept is a bad one, what you might see happen is that when screens get a lot cheaper, less power hungry, and lighter than today - that this device might come back to life. The problem is that if Microsoft release this today it would be as heavy as a Tablet PC but with much weaker hardware behind the scenes, and perhaps a three hour battery life if you're lucky.

• User profile image
    Bas

Microsoft unable to deliver something cool and hugely anticipated? Shocker.

• User profile image
    turrican

You scared me, I thought you were talking about THE FONT. *lol*... I went like "WTF?".

I think it was research project but kind'a cool. I would have bought one of those if it was out.

• User profile image
    turrican

Bas said:

Microsoft unable to deliver something cool and hugely anticipated? Shocker.

*lol* yepp, right on the spot.

• User profile image
    spivonious

turrican said:

You scared me, I thought you were talking about THE FONT. *lol*... I went like "WTF?".

I think it was research project but kind'a cool. I would have bought one of those if it was out.

lol!

• User profile image
    RLO

I guess Microsoft has decided that it wants to be IBM.

In one fell swoop they just conceded the tablet market, the e-reader market, the education market, and the professional business organizer market.  I will be glad when Microsoft is lead by someone that has vision enough to create the future and not just follow it when it's financially convenient.  All the while Online Services eats up more and more of the company in the chase for "three screens and a cloud" while competition plans, creates, and executes circles around them.

Microsoft doesn't get it, and HP is showing that they do.  The future is the computing appliance, not a jack of all trades system.  We don't expect our refrigerators to microwave our food and in the future we won't expect our computing experience to revolve around a PC.  Instead we will continue to evolve to points where we use specialized computing devices designed to handle tasks at hand.  This is where the market is, not the "cloud."  We have come to a point in computing where all the manufacturers are the same, most are just branding companies that assemble a parts list of common components and a shiny case. There isn’t any innovation and there isn't any model that can continually succeed in that environment.  The only way these companies can innovate further is to control the software completely.   As such, Microsoft will find itself pushed further and further away as companies strive to increase profits in a commoditized market and cut out the software middle man. This is where HP gets it with the purchase of Palm and the change of plans for the slate.

In the meantime, the one computer manufacturer that does distinguish itself using commoditized hardware today is Apple. You better believe that Dell and HP are watching their success and wondering how they can emulate it.  Apple has with OSX cut out the middleman and built a platform that allows them to distinguish themselves and control their own destiny.

• User profile image
    turrican

RLO said:

I guess Microsoft has decided that it wants to be IBM.

In one fell swoop they just conceded the tablet market, the e-reader market, the education market, and the professional business organizer market.  I will be glad when Microsoft is lead by someone that has vision enough to create the future and not just follow it when it's financially convenient.  All the while Online Services eats up more and more of the company in the chase for "three screens and a cloud" while competition plans, creates, and executes circles around them.

Microsoft doesn't get it, and HP is showing that they do.  The future is the computing appliance, not a jack of all trades system.  We don't expect our refrigerators to microwave our food and in the future we won't expect our computing experience to revolve around a PC.  Instead we will continue to evolve to points where we use specialized computing devices designed to handle tasks at hand.  This is where the market is, not the "cloud."  We have come to a point in computing where all the manufacturers are the same, most are just branding companies that assemble a parts list of common components and a shiny case. There isn’t any innovation and there isn't any model that can continually succeed in that environment.  The only way these companies can innovate further is to control the software completely.   As such, Microsoft will find itself pushed further and further away as companies strive to increase profits in a commoditized market and cut out the software middle man. This is where HP gets it with the purchase of Palm and the change of plans for the slate.

In the meantime, the one computer manufacturer that does distinguish itself using commoditized hardware today is Apple. You better believe that Dell and HP are watching their success and wondering how they can emulate it.  Apple has with OSX cut out the middleman and built a platform that allows them to distinguish themselves and control their own destiny.

Microsoft never really was a hardware company, they do software.

I can argue against what you said with just one word :

Silverlight.

• User profile image
    Ray7

turrican said:
    RLO said:
    *snip*

Microsoft never really was a hardware company, they do software.

I can argue against what you said with just one word :

Silverlight.

What about it?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.