Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

HP Slate Dead?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • DCMonkey

Hmm. HP Buys Palm. HP kills Windows 7 based Slate PC.

I wonder if the project to port WP7 to a tablet type device is already up and running.

Edit: And maybe this post was actually posted before the other one but the C9 AJAX froze and I reposted it.

• magicalclick

I wonder which part they want to use the most. Maybe porting the UX from WebOS and slap on WinPh OS/Win7 for slate? I personally don't think HP would want to manage the entire WebOS.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • Dovella

OK.

Courier  Stop

Hp Slate dead

=

Windows Phone 7 on Tablet

Bye Wink

• Ray7

magicalclick said:

I wonder which part they want to use the most. Maybe porting the UX from WebOS and slap on WinPh OS/Win7 for slate? I personally don't think HP would want to manage the entire WebOS.

According to their press release, that is precisely their plan. They want to take the whole WebOS and scale it in all directions. Sounds ambitious.

I think HP has realised that a market crowded with similar Win7 phones is not something that is going to do anyone any good. They're taking the Apple approach: the hardware and software under their roof. They'll still make a Win7 phone, but I don't expect them to push it very hard (what would be the point?)

• kitron

Ray7 said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

According to their press release, that is precisely their plan. They want to take the whole WebOS and scale it in all directions. Sounds ambitious.

I think HP has realised that a market crowded with similar Win7 phones is not something that is going to do anyone any good. They're taking the Apple approach: the hardware and software under their roof. They'll still make a Win7 phone, but I don't expect them to push it very hard (what would be the point?)

Maybe Microsoft needs to buy HTC or Motorola and start building their own hardware.

Seriously who is building windows slates now?

• Ray7

Dovella said:

OK.

Courier  Stop

Hp Slate dead

=

Windows Phone 7 on Tablet

Bye Wink

Possibly.

• Ray7

kitron said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Maybe Microsoft needs to buy HTC or Motorola and start building their own hardware.

I think the HP news just proves that Windows slates are a failure and have been for quite some time. The OS is built for keyboards and mice and there's no getting away from that. 

• kitron

Ray7 said:
    kitron said:
    *snip*

I think the HP news just proves that Windows slates are a failure and have been for quite some time. The OS is built for keyboards and mice and there's no getting away from that. 

Exactly that's what I have been saying all along.  Windows 7 is not suited for tablets. 

Windows Phone 7 os is the only hope right now but Microsoft seems to take their sweet time to deliver that.

• kitron

kitron said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Exactly that's what I have been saying all along.  Windows 7 is not suited for tablets. 

Windows Phone 7 os is the only hope right now but Microsoft seems to take their sweet time to deliver that.

Windows 7 on a slate is wrong like Windows mobile is wrong on a phone.  Microsoft realized that very late and started working on Windows Phone 7.  Same needs to happen to tablets.  Copy Apple's model and do it fast.

• Ray7

kitron said:
    kitron said:
    *snip*

Windows 7 on a slate is wrong like Windows mobile is wrong on a phone.  Microsoft realized that very late and started working on Windows Phone 7.  Same needs to happen to tablets.  Copy Apple's model and do it fast.

Mmm. Dunno. With the HP news, I reckon it's too late. 

• Sabot

Ok, so I've spoken to afew contacts I have in HP and they have confirmed the HP Slate is still a go!

One said that the pre-sales teams will get their hands on them next month and then can start taking them out to customers, so I will hopefully get to play with one ... just as well I have a mobility project where this product would be ideal.

• vesuvius

kitron said:
    kitron said:
    *snip*

It won't be windows phone but Silverlight. Scott Guthrie mentions here that Silverlight is the UI they are now targeting for use in embedded systems and thinks like TV menus and so on. There is no reason why one could not develop an application that ran on a slate machine. It is certainly doable.

• USArcher

kitron said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

re: Buy HTC or Motorola.  I tell you what, if Microsoft's partners begin to splinter into Android and WebOS.  Then yeah, I think they may have to consider this.  The problem with cellphones and inexpensive slate devices is that you know these will be used as gateway devices into desktop computers down the line.  Microsoft must have a significant marketshare.  It needn't be 80-90% but it does need to be in the high 60s if Microsoft doesn't want to start losing desktop marketshare in 12-24 months.

• Maximus​Paynicus

Whether this rumor is true or not, it's a win/win for HP. On one hand, if they iced the Win7 Slate it's all but certain that they'll be adapting webOS for some kind of tablet function. On the other hand, having used Windows 7's touch features for quite some time now (on a TouchSmart tx2-1377nr) I can definitely working on a tablet device. 

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.