Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Apple sells 1,000,000th iPad

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ray7

... according to their marketing arm. Along with a boatload of tea trays, Apple has also shifted 1.5 million ebooks (and I said no one would read books on this thing). 

Apple PR said:
    "One million iPads in 28 days-that's less than half of the 74 days it took to achieve this milestone with iPhone," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Demand continues to exceed supply and we're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more customers."

Every time I hear someone describe this thing as 'magical' I want to break something...

Still, a stunning result.

• vesuvius

That is a lot of money.

• W3bbo

That really is surprising, because it took Apple over a year to get a million sales of the original iPod in 2002. It also took Apple a full quarter before it told a million iPhones.

I wish Apple would stop calling it "magical" but Microsoft needs to learn a lot from Apple about making desirable products.

• Harlequin

W3bbo said:

That really is surprising, because it took Apple over a year to get a million sales of the original iPod in 2002. It also took Apple a full quarter before it told a million iPhones.

I wish Apple would stop calling it "magical" but Microsoft needs to learn a lot from Apple about making desirable products.

I'll bring this up right now. Ballmer needs to retire and we need some fresh ideas at the helm.

• vesuvius

W3bbo said:

In 2002 people were more likely to be luddites (this has lasted in people like me, I still buy vinyl records), but over the last 5 years we have all become inured to being fleeced every 18 months for a phone that deteriorates in value faster than a lead baloon.

Walk into PC world and there are more laptops than desktops, board a train and everyone has some bit to technology they are using, so there is a lot more money available in people budgets for tech.

As a parent I think Christmas time must be "I want this new  games console, or phone, or iPad" where most people would have settled for several pairs of socks and a dodgy jumper or two.

The world has changed very quickly, and Apple seem to be able to move quicker than everyone else, especially in innovative product design, and are able to carve out niche products that sell in their millions.

• Ray7

W3bbo said:

Yes, I thought there was supposed to be a recession on.

Other numbers: 5,000 iPad-specific apps on the app store and 12 million (yes, you read that right) downloaded. 

All this and it isn't even available world-wide yet.

• Ray7

Harlequin said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I'll bring this up right now. Ballmer needs to retire and we need some fresh ideas at the helm.

Let's not even go there.

Besides, I think it's too late for that now.

• Ray7

vesuvius said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

In 2002 people were more likely to be luddites (this has lasted in people like me, I still buy vinyl records), but over the last 5 years we have all become inured to being fleeced every 18 months for a phone that deteriorates in value faster than a lead baloon.

Walk into PC world and there are more laptops than desktops, board a train and everyone has some bit to technology they are using, so there is a lot more money available in people budgets for tech.

As a parent I think Christmas time must be "I want this new  games console, or phone, or iPad" where most people would have settled for several pairs of socks and a dodgy jumper or two.

The world has changed very quickly, and Apple seem to be able to move quicker than everyone else, especially in innovative product design, and are able to carve out niche products that sell in their millions.

You hit the nail on the head. Furthermore, Apple is sweeping in a whole new era of disposable, recyclable consumer toys. 

• Dovella

Thanks to free adverting by Gizm.. Engad.... New Yourk T.... and #CIOFECA blogger 

3 m. Free advertsing +Hytpe = only 1 Milion ?

• Refrax

hmmm... i wonder how this will impact the IPv4 space. are the Ipads getting public IPs from at&t?

• blowdart

Refrax said:

hmmm... i wonder how this will impact the IPv4 space. are the Ipads getting public IPs from at&t?

Doubtful - iPhones don't, why should iPads?

• spivonious

Harlequin said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

+1

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

The iPad is magical--  it magically made > $500 disappear from a million customers' pockets and appear in Apple's bank accounts.  Tongue Out

• Ray7

CannotResolveSymbol said:

The iPad is magical--  it magically made > $500 disappear from a million customers' pockets and appear in Apple's bank accounts.  Tongue Out

That was very good. I see what you did there ... Smiley

• Maximus​Paynicus

It's news like this that makes me unsure about whether or not I'm doing the right thing in not buying Apple. All the same, I'm nobody to tell people what to spend their cash on. More power to Apple. 

• Maddus Mattus

I love computers.

Wether they are apples or oranges.

But I would never buy something, just because it is pretty. I want to tinker with stuff. And that's the reason why Apple fails for me.

• W3bbo

Maddus Mattus said:

I love computers.

Wether they are apples or oranges.

But I would never buy something, just because it is pretty. I want to tinker with stuff. And that's the reason why Apple fails for me.

I love computers.

Wether they are apple or oranges.

But I would never buy something that has poor build quality or is otherwise a pain to use because the creators put profitability before aesthetics and usability. I want to use stuff. And that's the reason why (Toshiba | Dell | Acer | Asus | HP) fails for me.

• Maddus Mattus

W3bbo said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

I love computers.

Wether they are apple or oranges.

But I would never buy something that has poor build quality or is otherwise a pain to use because the creators put profitability before aesthetics and usability. I want to use stuff. And that's the reason why (Toshiba | Dell | Acer | Asus | HP) fails for me.

But I can still tinker with them and mend them with a paperclip!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.