Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Recovering the Microsoft’s Matrix Spoof

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    schrepfler

Hi,

Can anyone inside MS check if the general public might actually ever see the MS Matrix Spoof for the 2003 Comdex?

Thanks!

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

The first half is out and about on the web:

On a related note, anyone know where an unadultered version of the longhorn PDC rock video can be found? The only one I've been able to find was the one Paul Thurrot uploaded to MSN Soapbox - now Soapbox is gone the video is lost. Last time I checked on You Tube the few unmodified ones had had the soundtracks removed by You Tube for copyright reasons.

• User profile image
    schrepfler

GoddersUK said:

The first half is out and about on the web:

On a related note, anyone know where an unadultered version of the longhorn PDC rock video can be found? The only one I've been able to find was the one Paul Thurrot uploaded to MSN Soapbox - now Soapbox is gone the video is lost. Last time I checked on You Tube the few unmodified ones had had the soundtracks removed by You Tube for copyright reasons.

Of course I meant the original full-length video Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Officially, no; because apparently the production company holds the copyright and Microsoft only licensed it for a one-off showing at PDC and not for reshowing. There was a fair ruckous caused by the leak of the "The Office: Values", it wasn't just Microsoft who complained, but also Ricky Gervais was also a bit peeved too because the video was made after he stopped officially playing the David Brent character.

In retrospect the video wasn't that funny: it generalises Linux as being unstable (at least for desktop/laptop use) and only available from Big Iron companies like IBM when the reality is quite different: *nix platforms are especially known for their stability especially in mission-critical systems and there are dozens of reputable yet affordable companies you could get support from back then. It was a weak mud-slinging exercise. Fortunately Microsoft changed the tone of their later campaigns to focus on (more or less) valid comparisons.

• User profile image
    schrepfler

W3bbo said:

Officially, no; because apparently the production company holds the copyright and Microsoft only licensed it for a one-off showing at PDC and not for reshowing. There was a fair ruckous caused by the leak of the "The Office: Values", it wasn't just Microsoft who complained, but also Ricky Gervais was also a bit peeved too because the video was made after he stopped officially playing the David Brent character.

In retrospect the video wasn't that funny: it generalises Linux as being unstable (at least for desktop/laptop use) and only available from Big Iron companies like IBM when the reality is quite different: *nix platforms are especially known for their stability especially in mission-critical systems and there are dozens of reputable yet affordable companies you could get support from back then. It was a weak mud-slinging exercise. Fortunately Microsoft changed the tone of their later campaigns to focus on (more or less) valid comparisons.

Bill Gates as Morpheus. Enough said. If that is not worthy to be saved for future generations, I don't know what is. As far as the tone of the campaigns, who cares, it was 7 years ago, everybody was/is/will be doing it.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.