Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Torys win

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    ...yay?

  • User profile image
    CSMR

    Current betting on betfair shows about 45% chance of outright Tory win, 55% hung parliament.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    CSMR said:

    Current betting on betfair shows about 45% chance of outright Tory win, 55% hung parliament.

    Well, I mean hung parliament but with a Tory majority.

  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

    W3bbo said:
    CSMR said:
    *snip*

    Well, I mean hung parliament but with a Tory majority.

    Not yet, just exit polls, right now they have none

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Kryptos said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Not yet, just exit polls, right now they have none

    That's because all the votes haven't been tallied yet.

  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

    W3bbo said:
    Kryptos said:
    *snip*

    That's because all the votes haven't been tallied yet.

    that was my point....... lol

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Kryptos said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    that was my point....... lol

    Do we know who this creepy guy is? Weird having a fist raised like that.

     

    Derek Jackson of the "Land is Power" party, but only a paltry 57 votes. Apparently the party's website is http://www.landlesspeasants.org but I can't access it.

     

    Generic Forum Image

  • User profile image
    dahat

    W3bbo said:
    CSMR said:
    *snip*

    Well, I mean hung parliament but with a Tory majority.

    Hung can still be fun... I'm still hoping that the LibDems vote just say "screw you Labour" Smiley

  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    W3bbo said:
    CSMR said:
    *snip*

    Well, I mean hung parliament but with a Tory majority.

    That doesn't mean the torries will be in the next government. The incumbent prime minister has the first shot at forming a majority government, so we could see a lib/lab coalition yet. Labour are certainly going for it, the Lib Dems don't seem so keen though. Only after that falls through will Cameron be able to try and either form a majority government (Con/LD) or rule with a minority government.

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    GoddersUK said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    That doesn't mean the torries will be in the next government. The incumbent prime minister has the first shot at forming a majority government, so we could see a lib/lab coalition yet. Labour are certainly going for it, the Lib Dems don't seem so keen though. Only after that falls through will Cameron be able to try and either form a majority government (Con/LD) or rule with a minority government.

    Clegg seems to be blowing hot-and-cold -- first says that if they form a coalition it will all be about Proportional Representation (which would mean linking with Labour), but this morning he has said that Cameron should run the show because he's got the most seats. Maybe he's just laying the groundwork for horse-trading.

     

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    How did the Lib Dem's get LESS seats? ...

    They even got more votes and less seats. In fact they seem to be the second most popular party in a lot of areas but yet still are no.3? Our system is so lame...

     

    My local MP (Tory) has never been here, she does know where it is, she won't even live here after the election, and people elected her with a clear majority because the box next to her name said Tory... Explain to me how this is democratic? People are just too f-ing stupid to vote.

     

    Also, C9 - I now need to log in like four times, refresh the thread about half a dozen and only then I get the reply box which might or might not time out... Install PHPBB, seriously...

  • User profile image
    CSMR

    ManipUni said:

    How did the Lib Dem's get LESS seats? ...

    They even got more votes and less seats. In fact they seem to be the second most popular party in a lot of areas but yet still are no.3? Our system is so lame...

     

    My local MP (Tory) has never been here, she does know where it is, she won't even live here after the election, and people elected her with a clear majority because the box next to her name said Tory... Explain to me how this is democratic? People are just too f-ing stupid to vote.

     

    Also, C9 - I now need to log in like four times, refresh the thread about half a dozen and only then I get the reply box which might or might not time out... Install PHPBB, seriously...

    That's because there is strict party discipline in the UK. Your party indicates what you are going to vote for in parliament. If they are not going into ministerial positions the party affiliation is pretty much the only thing that is important.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    David Cameron is our new PM.

     

    If it's any consolation, the economic situation will force the Conservatives to make massive spending cuts which will cause their popularity to drop dramatically, ensuring a Labour victory in 4 years' time.

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    W3bbo said:

    David Cameron is our new PM.

     

    If it's any consolation, the economic situation will force the Conservatives to make massive spending cuts which will cause their popularity to drop dramatically, ensuring a Labour victory in 4 years' time.

    They should have made a coalition with Labour so that Labour would have been the ones doing that, ensuring an overwhelming victory in 4 years time, with all of the unpopular work already already having been done.

  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

    Comment removed at user's request.

  • User profile image
    dahat

    W3bbo said:

    David Cameron is our new PM.

     

    If it's any consolation, the economic situation will force the Conservatives to make massive spending cuts which will cause their popularity to drop dramatically, ensuring a Labour victory in 4 years' time.

    That assumes what they do doesn't work, where is your optimism for the change that Cameron promised?

     

    Now all we need is someone from the House of Stuart to re-take the throne, and you Brits will be back on the path towards sanity again Wink

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    yman said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*

    I'm so glad to see the back of Labour. In my opinion, they did some good (increased hospitals spending, equality agenda, devolution amongst others) but their failings are truly awful: unbelievable public debt (caused by uncontrolled fiscal spending pre-bail out), the growth of an intrusive state such as the all-seeing databases, the rampant increase in regulation and general taxation, the dilution of exam standards etc. 

     

    I hope the new coalition with the Liberals works. It could potentially be a good move for Britain. We all know there's going to have to be massive public spending cuts which will be testing on the population. The combined argument and support of Tory and Lib Dems should make the cuts easier to "sell" to the population. This is vital if we want to ensure our credit rating and general economic confidence. 

     

    In the long term, I wonder if the coalition could potentially realign politics in this country? It was Thatcher's dream to have a non socialist party as the opposition - could there ever be a situation in 10 years time where the Lib Dems/Tories are the main two parties? One does hope. 

    The public debt situation wasn't that bad prior to the mortage recession, and the encroachment of the 'database state' was caused the introduction of knee-jerk legislation in response to 'terror' attacks. It isn't like the Tories have a reputation for stoicism in the face of tabloid adversity either (quite the opposite: consider the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, or the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991; and let's not get started on Section 28).

     

    Anyway, labour isn't socialist; they've been centrist ever since New Labour. For "Socialist" Labour you have to go back to the 1970s.

     

    My prediction is the coalition will break down after the Tories won't concede to LibDem demands on things like electoral reform (AV is not substitute for PR) after a year or so. The "Deputy Prime Minister" post being considered for Nick Clegg is an empty gesture: the last DPM, John Prescott, was only in the news for all the wrong reasons.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    W3bbo said:
    yman said:
    *snip*

    The public debt situation wasn't that bad prior to the mortage recession, and the encroachment of the 'database state' was caused the introduction of knee-jerk legislation in response to 'terror' attacks. It isn't like the Tories have a reputation for stoicism in the face of tabloid adversity either (quite the opposite: consider the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, or the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991; and let's not get started on Section 28).

     

    Anyway, labour isn't socialist; they've been centrist ever since New Labour. For "Socialist" Labour you have to go back to the 1970s.

     

    My prediction is the coalition will break down after the Tories won't concede to LibDem demands on things like electoral reform (AV is not substitute for PR) after a year or so. The "Deputy Prime Minister" post being considered for Nick Clegg is an empty gesture: the last DPM, John Prescott, was only in the news for all the wrong reasons.

    Oh no, the public debt really was in a bad situation, it's just PFI kept the majority of it defferred and off the books. That was the main purpose of PFI - it allowed brown to keep to his 40% nonsense about public sector debt and look like a financial wizard. If that suddenly comes back onto the books, because the Tories won't play that game then you'll see an even bigger mess, with about £200 billion (UK billion) coming back.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.