Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

When full disclosure regarding Aliens happens, what will you do?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

    So... this being the coffeehouse, lets speculate a bit... Imagine for a second that full disclosure regarding Alien life happens, the whole 9 yards, press release and live TV. The president talking and all... heck even an alien sitting next to him.

     

    What will you do? Celebrate? Nothing changes? Panic?

     

    I for one will open a bottle of old wine.

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    Obviously aliens will land in America...

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    I'll remember that episode of Doctor Who and go out and buy lots of guns.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Your post seems to be based on the premise that there is a government-level conspiracy.

     

    Anyway, if they did I would pay massive attention, then I would get worried: no good can come from first-contact, we're still a very primitive civilization compared to what we could be, and we don't need external influences that would just mess things up.

     

    And then there are theological issues to contend with.

     

    Why are you asking this all of a sudden?

  • User profile image
    mstefan

    W3bbo said:

    Your post seems to be based on the premise that there is a government-level conspiracy.

     

    Anyway, if they did I would pay massive attention, then I would get worried: no good can come from first-contact, we're still a very primitive civilization compared to what we could be, and we don't need external influences that would just mess things up.

     

    And then there are theological issues to contend with.

     

    Why are you asking this all of a sudden?

    Not to worry, I hear that the aliens have a book titled To Serve Man. What could possibly go wrong?

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    mstefan said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Not to worry, I hear that the aliens have a book titled To Serve Man. What could possibly go wrong?

    As long as we still have Sigourney .. we'll be OK.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Eat my hat.

  • User profile image
    turrican

    W3bbo said:

    Your post seems to be based on the premise that there is a government-level conspiracy.

     

    Anyway, if they did I would pay massive attention, then I would get worried: no good can come from first-contact, we're still a very primitive civilization compared to what we could be, and we don't need external influences that would just mess things up.

     

    And then there are theological issues to contend with.

     

    Why are you asking this all of a sudden?

    Well, I ask this because I am certain that it'll happen very soon, between now and 1-3 years from now. And yes, I'm aware that it sounds very religious because I have no proof what so ever to back it up. It's just a gut feeling. So I was curious how people would react on such an event.

     

    From the looks of the replies here, we won't have much of a panic. hehhe... although, we are probably less xenophobic in the tech community than "others" since we are "hopefully" more science related people.

  • User profile image
    turrican

    ManipUni said:

    Obviously aliens will land in America...

    Good point. I was just making an example. My guess is that probably USA will be first on the disclosure and then other countries will follow in the following days-weeks of the event. Just speculating here.

  • User profile image
    turrican

    Ian2 said:
    mstefan said:
    *snip*

    As long as we still have Sigourney .. we'll be OK.

    The question is, would they really be like the ones from "Aliens"? My guess they wouldn't be much different from us in terms of, they would most likely need to have arms and legs to move around. Eyes... nose... hm, or maybe they are cyborg organisms.

     

    Hm... or maybe just completely robotic, having already killing off their "creator race". haha... now THAT would scare the heck out of me.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    turrican said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Well, I ask this because I am certain that it'll happen very soon, between now and 1-3 years from now. And yes, I'm aware that it sounds very religious because I have no proof what so ever to back it up. It's just a gut feeling. So I was curious how people would react on such an event.

     

    From the looks of the replies here, we won't have much of a panic. hehhe... although, we are probably less xenophobic in the tech community than "others" since we are "hopefully" more science related people.

    Dream on.

     

    You're hardly any different to dispensationalists who believe they'll have the Second Coming during their lifetime too.

  • User profile image
    dahat

    spivonious said:

    I'll remember that episode of Doctor Who and go out and buy lots of guns.

    So you'll wait until there is a run on them? Best to stock up now on your firearms, food, water, flashlights, and duct tape now and avoid the rush!

     

    That reminds me... my duct tape supply is currently dangerously low...

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    dahat said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

    So you'll wait until there is a run on them? Best to stock up now on your firearms, food, water, flashlights, and duct tape now and avoid the rush!

     

    That reminds me... my duct tape supply is currently dangerously low...

    I'm reading "The Road" right now...maybe you're right. Time to build a bomb shelter in the backyard.

  • User profile image
    exoteric

    turrican said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Well, I ask this because I am certain that it'll happen very soon, between now and 1-3 years from now. And yes, I'm aware that it sounds very religious because I have no proof what so ever to back it up. It's just a gut feeling. So I was curious how people would react on such an event.

     

    From the looks of the replies here, we won't have much of a panic. hehhe... although, we are probably less xenophobic in the tech community than "others" since we are "hopefully" more science related people.

    A gut feeling that the aliens will arrive within a 3-year timeframe? That sounds slightly... Strange.

     

    It's like having an n-sided die (where n is unknown) and having a gut feeling that the number x with pop up after m tries.

     

    That sounds more like religion than statistics.

     

    Still, I too tremendously enjoyed Into the Universe.

     

    Smiley

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    dahat said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

    So you'll wait until there is a run on them? Best to stock up now on your firearms, food, water, flashlights, and duct tape now and avoid the rush!

     

    That reminds me... my duct tape supply is currently dangerously low...

    The sad thing is how I can't tell how serious you are in that posting.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Obviously I'll just discard my human costume.

  • User profile image
    dahat

    W3bbo said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*

    The sad thing is how I can't tell how serious you are in that posting.

    Only half... while it's true I do maintain an extra supply of food and water in my apartment, the exist just as a basic precaution that any reasonable person/household should take, doubly so if they think there is any chance of a natural or other disaster which could prevent them from getting to a stocked grocery store... something that does exist in the Seattle area.

     

    As far as the firearms... I am a hunter, and a collector... so having a few is expected... and given me not being a religious man, I think I'm required to double up on my clinging to them.

     

    Now my ammunition stockpile... isn't all that much (assuming you ignore the 22 ammo) as it just takes up too much space (& weight).

     

    And finally, when it comes to flashlights & duct tape... you can never have too much of either!

     

    The underlying point though is simple... if you think you will have a need for something in future and maybe not be able to get it then... best to plan ahead.

  • User profile image
    exoteric

    blowdart said:

    Obviously I'll just discard my human costume.

    "High" on "V"? Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.