Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

When full disclosure regarding Aliens happens, what will you do?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    I, for one, will welcome ...

  • User profile image
    stun

    DCMonkey said:

    I, for one, will welcome ...

    Our New Overlords !!!

  • User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

    Declare war, steal their technology, and conquer their worlds.  Advance the human empire.

  • User profile image
    dahat

    CreamFilling512 said:

    Declare war, steal their technology, and conquer their worlds.  Advance the human empire.

    Wouldn't it just be easier to sneeze on them a bit and have the same end result?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    exoteric said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    "High" on "V"? Wink

    I haven't see the remake at all actually.

     

    Although I unpacked a bunch of DVDs at the weekend and found the original series. And Blake's 7....

  • User profile image
    rhm

    turrican said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Well, I ask this because I am certain that it'll happen very soon, between now and 1-3 years from now. And yes, I'm aware that it sounds very religious because I have no proof what so ever to back it up. It's just a gut feeling. So I was curious how people would react on such an event.

     

    From the looks of the replies here, we won't have much of a panic. hehhe... although, we are probably less xenophobic in the tech community than "others" since we are "hopefully" more science related people.

    Now that we've got a shape-shifting lizard as British Prime Minister, it can't be long before more people notice and David Icke is finally proved right.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    If they are hot and indeed looking for a pet like me, come adopt me Tongue Out

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    > When full disclosure regarding Aliens happens, what will you do?

     

    I would go on outside and cry "I knew it!!!!" Smiley

  • User profile image
    justth3fax

    turrican said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Well, I ask this because I am certain that it'll happen very soon, between now and 1-3 years from now. And yes, I'm aware that it sounds very religious because I have no proof what so ever to back it up. It's just a gut feeling. So I was curious how people would react on such an event.

     

    From the looks of the replies here, we won't have much of a panic. hehhe... although, we are probably less xenophobic in the tech community than "others" since we are "hopefully" more science related people.

    Day 1 - no announcement, follow-up planned and calendared...

  • User profile image
    Charles

    justth3fax said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

    Day 1 - no announcement, follow-up planned and calendared...

    I'll ask them if they use integers in their form of computation or, more interestingly, hand them a calculus text book and see if they recognize the language, mathematics, it contains.

     

    C

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Charles said:
    justth3fax said:
    *snip*

    I'll ask them if they use integers in their form of computation or, more interestingly, hand them a calculus text book and see if they recognize the language, mathematics, it contains.

     

    C

    While math might be the universal language, I'm fairly sure mathematical notation is not. Smiley

     

    EDIT: Also, once that day comes, I'd write a program to try and find a message in pi.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    Sven Groot said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    While math might be the universal language, I'm fairly sure mathematical notation is not. Smiley

     

    EDIT: Also, once that day comes, I'd write a program to try and find a message in pi.

    True. Jaron Lanier, who will appaear on C9 this week, has an interesting perspective on alien math. I agree that notation may be planet-specific Smiley

     

    Remember what happens when you discover the numeric essence of Pi...(from the movie of the same name). Wink

     

    C

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    Charles said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

    True. Jaron Lanier, who will appaear on C9 this week, has an interesting perspective on alien math. I agree that notation may be planet-specific Smiley

     

    Remember what happens when you discover the numeric essence of Pi...(from the movie of the same name). Wink

     

    C

    I"m sorry I picked your post to respond to, it's a bit of lazyness on my part.

     

    We'll never, ever meet 'aliens'.  You folks are bright, so you know about the distances involved and the horribly life stunting results of trying to move those distances.  I hate it as much as the next guy, but the best we can hope for, ever; and I mean EVER; is to have human exploration of the solar system.  The reason that other solar systems would never come to see us is the same reason that we would never come to see them.  It would always result in a bunch of dead ambassadors, and tech that cannot survive outside of the magnetic bubble that is our planet/sun.

     

    The voyager drones have started to break down simply because they happen to be outside of the sun's magnetic protection.  The time it would take for us to figure out how to avoid that, aim correctly, given the way light fools us on large scales, and then show up in some new system is the same kind of challenge that any other alien life form would have to face.

     

    We might end up communicating with foreign intelligence, but I'll bet dollars to andromeda donunts that we'll never, ever meet aliens.

     

    The sad part, is that I would love for this to be otherwise. 

     

    Sad

  • User profile image
    Charles

    ScanIAm said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    I"m sorry I picked your post to respond to, it's a bit of lazyness on my part.

     

    We'll never, ever meet 'aliens'.  You folks are bright, so you know about the distances involved and the horribly life stunting results of trying to move those distances.  I hate it as much as the next guy, but the best we can hope for, ever; and I mean EVER; is to have human exploration of the solar system.  The reason that other solar systems would never come to see us is the same reason that we would never come to see them.  It would always result in a bunch of dead ambassadors, and tech that cannot survive outside of the magnetic bubble that is our planet/sun.

     

    The voyager drones have started to break down simply because they happen to be outside of the sun's magnetic protection.  The time it would take for us to figure out how to avoid that, aim correctly, given the way light fools us on large scales, and then show up in some new system is the same kind of challenge that any other alien life form would have to face.

     

    We might end up communicating with foreign intelligence, but I'll bet dollars to andromeda donunts that we'll never, ever meet aliens.

     

    The sad part, is that I would love for this to be otherwise. 

     

    Sad

    But you're assuming that we actually understand all of the possibilities. How anthropomorphic of you, Scan. Smiley

     

    The amount we don't know about life in the universe, technological capabilities for travel over astronomically large distances, etc is itself astronomically large...

     

    C

  • User profile image
    turrican

    justth3fax said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

    Day 1 - no announcement, follow-up planned and calendared...

    You will owe me one beer if it happens withing 3 years.

     

    - Day 2.

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Charles said:
    justth3fax said:
    *snip*

    I'll ask them if they use integers in their form of computation or, more interestingly, hand them a calculus text book and see if they recognize the language, mathematics, it contains.

     

    C

    You read Anathem yet then? If not, thoroughly recommended.

  • User profile image
    JeremyJ

    ScanIAm said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    I"m sorry I picked your post to respond to, it's a bit of lazyness on my part.

     

    We'll never, ever meet 'aliens'.  You folks are bright, so you know about the distances involved and the horribly life stunting results of trying to move those distances.  I hate it as much as the next guy, but the best we can hope for, ever; and I mean EVER; is to have human exploration of the solar system.  The reason that other solar systems would never come to see us is the same reason that we would never come to see them.  It would always result in a bunch of dead ambassadors, and tech that cannot survive outside of the magnetic bubble that is our planet/sun.

     

    The voyager drones have started to break down simply because they happen to be outside of the sun's magnetic protection.  The time it would take for us to figure out how to avoid that, aim correctly, given the way light fools us on large scales, and then show up in some new system is the same kind of challenge that any other alien life form would have to face.

     

    We might end up communicating with foreign intelligence, but I'll bet dollars to andromeda donunts that we'll never, ever meet aliens.

     

    The sad part, is that I would love for this to be otherwise. 

     

    Sad

    Once upon a time someone would have called you crazy for suggesting that we could cut through steel with a beam of light.  Your opinion is very short-sighted.

  • User profile image
    stun

    CreamFilling512 said:

    Declare war, steal their technology, and conquer their worlds.  Advance the human empire.

    or call Will Smith !!!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.