Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

When full disclosure regarding Aliens happens, what will you do?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    exoteric

blowdart said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

I haven't see the remake at all actually.

Although I unpacked a bunch of DVDs at the weekend and found the original series. And Blake's 7....

It's okay although much less entertaining than (genre context switch) Dexter and Breaking Bad.

• User profile image
    exoteric

Charles said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

True. Jaron Lanier, who will appaear on C9 this week, has an interesting perspective on alien math. I agree that notation may be planet-specific Smiley

Remember what happens when you discover the numeric essence of Pi...(from the movie of the same name). Wink

C

Planet-specific notation, nice expression! Smiley

• User profile image
    stevo_

Topic was kinda strange

Seemed a tad less strange after reading

Seemed completely insane once close estimates of alien contact popped out

Prognosis: nutcase, get help, your grasp of reality is slipping / gone / was never there.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

stevo_ said:

Topic was kinda strange

Seemed a tad less strange after reading

Seemed completely insane once close estimates of alien contact popped out

Prognosis: nutcase, get help, your grasp of reality is slipping / gone / was never there.

I was thinking "When the government tells us about the aliens, I shall stop thinking that you're a fantasist."

Herbie

• User profile image
    Minh

exoteric said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Planet-specific notation, nice expression! Smiley

So... on this planet... what does "." mean and what does "," mean?  Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

So... on this planet... what does "." mean and what does "," mean?  Smiley

In mainland Europe, the dot is for digit grouping and the comma for the radix point. Everywhere else in the world the dot is for radix and the comma for digit grouping.

Fun planet we live on.

There was an amusing in-joke on Babylon 5 agggess ago that referenced how in sci-fi romps on TV alien races tend to be generalised. All Klingons are warrior-like and imperialistic, they all seem to have the same skin tone, and religion or philosophy. The segment turns this on its head by showing how diverse the human race is. It would be massively naive of us to assume EBEs would be the same.

Video-games kinda got away with generalising alien races by having so many of them. In Half-Life all of the different aliens were identical to each other, but the non-Vortigaunt and synth aliens are all just wild faunae that got sent through the portals into Black Mesa. In Doom it's because Satan has legions of different classes of demons. In Halo it's because the enemy is a collective of different alien races.

I'd like to see a humans vs. aliens game where it's our race against theirs, but one that shows all the diversity right. Unreal Tournament 2003 (and later) sort-of gets it, but whatever.

• User profile image
    Charles

Massif said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

You read Anathem yet then? If not, thoroughly recommended.

I'd recommend that you read this: http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/ge/feyerabe.htm

C

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

In mainland Europe, the dot is for digit grouping and the comma for the radix point. Everywhere else in the world the dot is for radix and the comma for digit grouping.

Fun planet we live on.

There was an amusing in-joke on Babylon 5 agggess ago that referenced how in sci-fi romps on TV alien races tend to be generalised. All Klingons are warrior-like and imperialistic, they all seem to have the same skin tone, and religion or philosophy. The segment turns this on its head by showing how diverse the human race is. It would be massively naive of us to assume EBEs would be the same.

Video-games kinda got away with generalising alien races by having so many of them. In Half-Life all of the different aliens were identical to each other, but the non-Vortigaunt and synth aliens are all just wild faunae that got sent through the portals into Black Mesa. In Doom it's because Satan has legions of different classes of demons. In Halo it's because the enemy is a collective of different alien races.

I'd like to see a humans vs. aliens game where it's our race against theirs, but one that shows all the diversity right. Unreal Tournament 2003 (and later) sort-of gets it, but whatever.

> I'd like to see a humans vs. aliens game where it's our race against theirs, but one that shows all the diversity right.

Halo (though it's their race against ours, if you exclude the flood (no diversity)). Define right and define diversity.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

> I'd like to see a humans vs. aliens game where it's our race against theirs, but one that shows all the diversity right.

Halo (though it's their race against ours, if you exclude the flood (no diversity)). Define right and define diversity.

Well, Halo gets it wrong: with the exception of a few special NPCs at the beginning of the game all of the marines have American accents.

By "does diversity right" I mean it gives an accurate portrayal of how things would be. Not every marine has the same accent, neither would every alien solider (assuming they have voiceboxes).

I think procedural generation can help a lot in this area, or at least recording a whole load of voice samples. But this is just one small portion of a bigger problem.

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Fun planet we live on.

Viet Nam, which was a French colony also go by the 1.000,57 system

• User profile image
    Blue Ink

Minh said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Viet Nam, which was a French colony also go by the 1.000,57 system

Reminds me of one of Feynman's "Lectures on Physics" in which he proved how, unless we can exchange physical objects (or even just a light beam), we would never be able to tell a remote alien culture what we mean by "left" and "right".  Decimal notation looks like a minor nuisance in comparison.

(no pun intended on anybody's driving habits).

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

ManipUni said:

Obviously aliens will land in America...

I think you mean New Jersey. What is ironic is that if it happened, no one would probably care, because they would think it is a parody of the famous radio broadcast.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

W3bbo said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Fun planet we live on.

From birth we learn to distinguish features from our own "kind". This is a natural proces. That's why all Chinese people look alike to us and why we all look alike to them. They learned to look at features that sets them apart, those features are not present in the western people. So to them, we all look alike.

It might be that to the untrained eye, all aliens in Star Trek look alike. But if you watched enough episodes you will learn to distinguish the small features.

Oh, not all Klingons are warriors, not all Romulans are bastards and not all Ferengi suck Smiley

Back on topic;

E.T. does exist and he is intelligent. That's exactly the reason they havent contacted us yet.

We, as a human race, need a lesson in humility. We think we can set everything to our hand. Mold the planet (destroy the planet for that matter) so to speak. But in the grand scale, we are not even as important as a flea on a fly on the back of a dog. And I think, when we've come to accept that E.T. will show up.

• User profile image
    turrican

Maddus Mattus said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

From birth we learn to distinguish features from our own "kind". This is a natural proces. That's why all Chinese people look alike to us and why we all look alike to them. They learned to look at features that sets them apart, those features are not present in the western people. So to them, we all look alike.

It might be that to the untrained eye, all aliens in Star Trek look alike. But if you watched enough episodes you will learn to distinguish the small features.

Oh, not all Klingons are warriors, not all Romulans are bastards and not all Ferengi suck Smiley

Back on topic;

E.T. does exist and he is intelligent. That's exactly the reason they havent contacted us yet.

We, as a human race, need a lesson in humility. We think we can set everything to our hand. Mold the planet (destroy the planet for that matter) so to speak. But in the grand scale, we are not even as important as a flea on a fly on the back of a dog. And I think, when we've come to accept that E.T. will show up.

Well said. I would certainly never contact the human race if I was an advanced race of aliens. ...well, unless I had a lot of military fire power because humans are... stupid. We are still kind'a like apes which attack outsiders. Get afraid of change or new things.

Let us not forget, it was not that long ago that we burned witches. Perhaps we never stopped... maybe it is the terrorists now? and before that the big bad communists... oh boy, are we in deep doodoo as a race.

• User profile image
    kettch

Maddus Mattus said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Back on topic;

Maddus Mattus said:

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

Well, Halo gets it wrong: with the exception of a few special NPCs at the beginning of the game all of the marines have American accents.

By "does diversity right" I mean it gives an accurate portrayal of how things would be. Not every marine has the same accent, neither would every alien solider (assuming they have voiceboxes).

I think procedural generation can help a lot in this area, or at least recording a whole load of voice samples. But this is just one small portion of a bigger problem.

Well that's one criteria, accent. Diversity may mean different things, different race, different nationality, different skin color or different language. Halo has them all. For example in the original game you can see Afro-Americans, Mexicans and typical Americans. If think there was a Mexican marine with a distinctive accent, check the first flood encounter level. The covenant is also very rich in diversity, race-wise and authority wise, for example you'll see brutes with different levels of authority.

• User profile image
    turrican

Ion Todirel said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Well that's one criteria, accent. Diversity may mean different things, different race, different nationality, different skin color or different language. Halo has them all. For example in the original game you can see Afro-Americans, Mexicans and typical Americans. If think there was a Mexican marine with a distinctive accent, check the first flood encounter level. The covenant is also very rich in diversity, race-wise and authority wise, for example you'll see brutes with different levels of authority.

On a side note, I dislike the term "African-American". America is not about a race of people. It's the country where anyone can go there and fulfill his/her dreams. Once they are there, they are no longer "African-Mexican-Japanese-Chinese"-American anything, but only "Americans". Especially when they are born in that country.

Generation after generation are born in the country, they are no longer "Africans". They are Americans.

The above applies only to American and no other country in the world I think because America was based upon a dream, a dream of being truely free where your rights come from the creator and not the state. The only country in the world where you have creator given rights and not state given rights in the constitution where state can never legalize them away from you.

The only ones who deserve that term are "Native Americans" because they were here first and it was their land.

People don't say chinese-american, japanese-american, mexican-american... irish-american... let us please drop the african-american too and truely become "color blind".

We are ALL just "Americans".

Note : This relpy is not personal and suggest nothing, it is intended only generally about the "African-American" term.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

turrican said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

On a side note, I dislike the term "African-American". America is not about a race of people. It's the country where anyone can go there and fulfill his/her dreams. Once they are there, they are no longer "African-Mexican-Japanese-Chinese"-American anything, but only "Americans". Especially when they are born in that country.

Generation after generation are born in the country, they are no longer "Africans". They are Americans.

The above applies only to American and no other country in the world I think because America was based upon a dream, a dream of being truely free where your rights come from the creator and not the state. The only country in the world where you have creator given rights and not state given rights in the constitution where state can never legalize them away from you.

The only ones who deserve that term are "Native Americans" because they were here first and it was their land.

People don't say chinese-american, japanese-american, mexican-american... irish-american... let us please drop the african-american too and truely become "color blind".

We are ALL just "Americans".

Note : This relpy is not personal and suggest nothing, it is intended only generally about the "African-American" term.

I'm not an American,...!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.