Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

quick support? where is securtity tab in 2003?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

in xp pro - / properties of folder - there is a security tab

*i need to set permissions for das blog - got dasblog working with c9 themes.. demo anyway - in xp only though

im all set to go - copied/setup to server - and 2003 has removed the security tab

where do i go in 2003 to allow read/write - "Network Service" nt authority - on the 3 directorys (wwwroot/dasblog/logs - siteconfig - content

anyone?

• User profile image
    Steve411

You need to shut off simple file sharing. Wink
    Open my documents
    Tools > Folder Options > View [tab] > Scroll way down and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing [Recommended]". Click OK. Smiley
    God Bless,
     Steve

• User profile image
    jamie

that option has also been removed in 2003 - or put someplace else

ill try a search for it

there should be a big button - security settings sheesh Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

its not there

bah
    in xp - i just hit properties / security / local account (.net account) etc - grant

where is that in 2003?

• User profile image
    jamie

re: "I was personally baffled by the security tab on 2003 web and standard editions."

i'd look forward to being baffled by it - if i could just find it Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

set read write permissions on folders - outside of IIS

in 2003 = ?

• User profile image
    jamie

i point my wwwroot folder to d:\web

thats www.jgrant.com  - has never been an issue before - probably not one now?

www.jgrant.com/dasblog/   is what im trying to get running

• User profile image
    jamie

its standard ver

• User profile image
    pikatung

You mentioned that you switched back to FAT32 after trying out NTFS in another topic.

Think about it.

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Since I've been playing with dasBlog aswell, here are my 2 cents:

IIS: 6.0
    dasBlog: 1.7

When I open the folder properties on a folder inside wwwroot, I see this image:

On the security tab, I have to grant "Full control" to the user "Network Service":

After adding a virtual application on that folder, everything works fine.....

Btw, Jamie, since I have been working on the same project, maybe we should combine "forces" Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Beer28 wrote:
    As for your problem, that's really odd,  because as you can see in my remote desktop login screenshot there is that security tab. I much prefer linux security permissions though. Good luck keeping track of 500 users' permissions on 10,000 different folders.... I like the simplicity of groups...

Yes, because as we all know, Windows doesn't have any groups.</sarcasm>

• User profile image
    sbc

Stitch 2.0 wrote:
    Since I've been playing with dasBlog aswell, here are my 2 cents:

On the security tab, I have to grant "Full control" to the user "Network Service":

Btw, Jamie, since I have been working on the same project, maybe we should combine "forces"

Full control is probably a bit too much. All you really need is modify access (and only one folders you are writing to, not the entire site).

Permissions do require NTFS. If you use FAT32 there is no security at all - people could probably get in and read any file on a FAT32 drive. FAT32 is just to be used when you dual boot with Windows 98/ME. There is no benefit of having it if you only boot into Windows 2000/2003.

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

sbc wrote:
    Stitch 2.0 wrote: Since I've been playing with dasBlog aswell, here are my 2 cents:

[img removed]

[img removed]

Btw, Jamie, since I have been working on the same project, maybe we should combine "forces"

Full control is probably a bit too much. All you really need is modify access (and only one folders you are writing to, not the entire site).

You are right, this was just a quick-and-dirty attempt.
    You only need to set the following permissions on the "SiteConfig", "content" and "logs" folders:

since this is almost "Full Control", I simply took that option Wink
    But it is actually only needed on the three named folders above..

@jamie: The error you're getting looks more like a wrong macro call in your template, than a security problem....

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

You basically only need Full Control if the user should be able to modify the security rights of the folder, which is almost never, especially not for something like the Network Service account.

Looks like Jamie is indeed using FAT32.

• User profile image
    jamie

so das blog neeeds ntfs to run

its a web log  sheesh

ntfs is evil

why cant i set read/write in iis like every other asp

does aspx need ntfs? 

re - macro - that error goes away with permissions set

so i guess this laptop has ntfs - never checked
    format time = more speed

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    ntfs is evil

Why? Name one reason? And don't say speed, because the overhead is so minimal you can only detect the difference on modern computers if you are superhuman. It's more likely you perceive a non-existent speed gain because you somehow expect it to be faster.
    Now advantages of NTFS over FAT32 are easy: better support for larger disks, security, reliability (transactioned file system means you never have to run chkdsk again, and I've not lost a single bit of data since I started using NTFS, even with blackouts and everything, more than I can say for FAT32), more efficient, support for compression (several parts of Windows are compressed by default, like the dllcache and hotfix uninstall folders), support for encryption.

• User profile image
    jamie

"Previous PC World tests have indicated that NTFS is far slower than FAT32, due to additional file security and logging overhead. The Search and Replace test in Word corroborated this result: Both Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 (which by default also uses NTFS) took a dramatically longer time than Windows 98 SE to complete the task.

NTFS vs. FAT32

Microsoft says this delay happened because Word's search-and-replace feature generates numerous file-open and -close operations. NTFS dutifully logs these actions in case something goes wrong; FAT32 doesn't. But NTFS's added security takes time. A Microsoft engineer told us the company would try to modify future versions of Word to minimize the slowdown."

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,14926,00.asp

• User profile image
    sbc

The only advantage of FAT32 over NTFS is that it is supported by older Windows systems, and other OS's (although there could have been a problem at one point with the FAT patent). Linux does support NTFS though (not sure to what extent), but other file systems are probably better for it (you wouldn't install SuSE/Mandrake/Fedora etc on an NTFS formatted drive). Pity you can't get support for file systems other than FAT32 and NTFS on Windows (native support (can third parties add support for other file systems - if not, then that could be a feature for Longhorn?), i.e. via Windows Explorer).

NTFS is a much better option than FAT32.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.