Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Webcasts need some help (again)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Blkbam

I'm posting this again in hopes that it will hold its formating plus I think feedback here is needed...

Ever since I discovered the Webcasts the MS offers I've taken full advantage of them.  This is one of the things I like about MS, free product training and info. 

Over the last couple months they have gone through some changes and I've tried to remain upbeat about them but now I need to say something about it.  I've tried leaving feedback in the surveys, emailing the webcast team and even posting on the WebCast Blog but nothing seems to be happening so since I know some of you guys and gals here watch/listen to the webcasts I thought I'd get your feedback as well and hope the webcast team takes notice. 

Here are somethings I've notice that needs to be fixed...

1. Registration Process:  There seems to be multiple paths to take during the registration process.  This was a little understandable when there was more than one means of delivering the webcast but now they have settled on using the Live Meeting software there is no excuse.  Please make it simple by having me: a) select my webcast and view its description 
    b) login after selecting that I want to view it
    c) Stop asking me for my attendee name.  Use my registration name or save the previous name I have entered.  Default the "Confirm" button as the next button and not the "Edit Profile" button.
    d) assuming the above step is removed have me confirm my user setting are valid by pressing the "Confirm" button.
    e) Take me to the confirmation page and show me the webcast deatails again with date and time in my timezone.
    f) bring back the OutLook reminders.  I don't know if Thunderbird has a calendar but hey support them too.

2. Webcast Client:  Agree on one!  Since I've been attending webcasts there has been at least three different clients.  Pick one and stay with it. 

3. Audio Quality:  Just when you finally had an audio provider that worked on a consitant basis with good quality you switched clients now we have to do this dance all over again.   The last one you used (I think it was Placeware) was great and reliable.  Now we have a new client and the same problems all over again.  Polls on the audio content every year is getting old.

4. Webcast list: The means of searching for a webcast is a bit akward.  I don't think it should be mixed in with the other events.  The upcoming list was a lot better when the webcasts were broken down by technology.  Maybe have the columns sortable.  Though I do like the idea of the calendars  but I think you need to find a way to put all of the webcast for the day on one calendar.  Also again, the times are PST, I don't live there!

5. Previously Recorded Webcasts: Too many steps to view a previous webcast.  There are more steps than viewing a live webcast.  How can this be?  I like the multi-format you offer but getting there is a pain.  Use something like:
    a) select my webcast and view its description 
    b) login after selecting that I want to view it
    c) Stop asking me for my attendee name its prerecorded (though I think this is fixed)
    d) take me to the page to select the webcast format.

Also there seems to be some problem with the server.  Every other click gives me a "The Server is currently unable to process your request. Please try again shortly. Thank you." error. 

And some of them say "We’re sorry, due to the popularity of this event, registration is currently closed. Please search for another event." after you get through the registration process.  WTF It's prerecorded!

6. Code Samples:  Give presenters a centralized location to keep and store code samples and slides.  I know space isn't cheap (sure it is) but having a presenter say "I don't have this available yet but it will be" is just a pain in the * (sorry got carried away there).  Maybe not the slides but code samples yes.  That way presenters may be able to use other code already available and say "Hey, modify that and you can to this".

OK I've taken up the end of my work day typing this like I've planned so I'm heading home.  Have a good weekend!!!!

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Oh forget it!!!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I'll make sure the webcasts team sees this. Thanks!

• User profile image
    androidi

During one webcast I asked why the audio quality of the presenters voice is so bad. And apparently some moderator of the live meeting thing was listening in and answered "Call 123-456-789 by phone for better audio".

Perhaps I could have avoided the transatlantic charges by using VOIP, but what if this was an archived webcast? And not being able to push atleast phone-quality audio through the traditional streaming used by thousands of internet radios..

But I guess after everyone has .NET and WinFX, there will be some improvement to this area Smiley

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Thanks Robert.  I hope they don't mind the formatting.

• User profile image
    lars

Blkbam wrote:
    1. Registration Process:  There seems to be multiple paths to take during the registration process.  [...]  Please make it simple

I only watch on demand webcasts, and it's amazing how horrendously awkward it is to just get the thing to start playing. I have to log in over and over again, register, supply a screen name and only God knows what. It feels like 10 steps just to get it on my screen. I just want to watch the d*mned thing!

By the time I get it on my screen I'm already in a bad mood and less receptive than I could have been. I think I would watch more webcasts if the whole process of getting to them didn't piss me off.

Sorry for the rant, but that's something that's been brewing for some time.

• User profile image
    Blkbam

lars wrote:
    I only watch on demand webcasts, and it's amazing how horrendously awkward it is to just get the thing to start playing. I have to log in over and over again, register, supply a screen name and only God knows what. It feels like 10 steps just to get it on my screen. I just want to watch the d*mned thing!

By the time I get it on my screen I'm already in a bad mood and less receptive than I could have been. I think I would watch more webcasts if the whole process of getting to them didn't piss me off.

Sorry for the rant, but that's something that's been brewing for some time.

For that reason alone I've given up on the prerecorded ones but I's tried to stay up on the live ones.  (I guess it might be more convienient for me to view them live that you.)

They keep adding cool features but I don't want those.  I just want it to work smoothly.

Keep the rants coming.  That's more or less what this thread was for.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.