Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Google TV

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CKurt

Google juste announced Google TV...

Basicly it's just a browser integrated with tv signal. So Picture in Picture of browser an TV channels. It has some other stuff in it. But it brings up one other question.

Why does Windows Media Center not include a browser? Would Windows Phone 7 apps not be very cool running on an HDTV panoramic like, and then use Nathal to navigate the app with the same guestures as in on your phone!

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Strange mine has a browser, I just take media center out of full screen and surf the web with the browse of my own choice. Smiley

• User profile image
    CKurt

PerfectPhase said:

Strange mine has a browser, I just take media center out of full screen and surf the web with the browse of my own choice. Smiley

Because your TV is a PC with a TV card in it right?

That's not what i mean. I'm talking about using the XBox 360 as media center extender and then browse in Media Center (without using a browser plugin for WMC). I'm talking about using search trough the tv guide and also getting results from the web to watch content on demand.

• User profile image
    intelman

Media Center better not fall behind. It is a pretty damn sweet addition. Extending it is kinda clunky, sometimes the file formats are clunky, but other than that it is awesome.

Sadly Media Center is serverely limited by DRM. I wish I could record a TV Show (with commericials) and then have it show up on my Zune. The other way is to use iTunes and pay for TV I am already getting (Zune does not have all the TV I want).

The sooner we move to true subscription TV access. You pay for content once and the rights to use it on all your devices the better. Getting TV from alternative sources is just so appealing. If they will not make it available in a format I can use or available easily, that is the way I will go.

Maybe Google TV can inspire a better system. Google has changed a lot. Gmail was introduced when Hotmail had 2MB space Yahoo had 4MB ....

• User profile image
    CKurt

intelman said:

Media Center better not fall behind. It is a pretty damn sweet addition. Extending it is kinda clunky, sometimes the file formats are clunky, but other than that it is awesome.

Sadly Media Center is serverely limited by DRM. I wish I could record a TV Show (with commericials) and then have it show up on my Zune. The other way is to use iTunes and pay for TV I am already getting (Zune does not have all the TV I want).

The sooner we move to true subscription TV access. You pay for content once and the rights to use it on all your devices the better. Getting TV from alternative sources is just so appealing. If they will not make it available in a format I can use or available easily, that is the way I will go.

Maybe Google TV can inspire a better system. Google has changed a lot. Gmail was introduced when Hotmail had 2MB space Yahoo had 4MB ....

Indeed i also hope it inspires. Writing an add-on / plugin for Media Center is hard. I ones tried to start someapp that would make it possible to choose subtitles on the video I was playing ( .avi and .srt files)... keywords being 'tried to start'

DRM is nasty but Google TV allows HULU integration? Yet somehow we all know Hulu blocks content from being deliverd to tv's because they don't have the rights to delever to TV's only to PC's . And it's like that for a lot of content. Rights for TV and PC are sold complety sepperatly.

But simple things like Search integration in the guide should be able to ship before Google TV making it obsoleet because people won't buy a set up box or special TV when they can just do it with there Xbox. Here is hoping for a nex NXE for XBox at E3 this year!

• User profile image
    CKurt

Also:

Don't panoramic Windows Phone 7 apps just lend them to be controlled via Project Natal? Google just introduced Google TV but the big problem is still you need a mouse or pointing device and a keyboard. Somehow Natal feel more natural to control Media Center. Swiping to switch channels, up down to control volume...

It would be a great new pool to dip into of a Windows 7 app could be easily displayed on bigger screens. It think the panoramic view offers more then just a 'bigger screen' as when you see scaled iPhone apps on the iPad. It would deliver more content in one viewing container...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

CKurt said:

Also:

Don't panoramic Windows Phone 7 apps just lend them to be controlled via Project Natal? Google just introduced Google TV but the big problem is still you need a mouse or pointing device and a keyboard. Somehow Natal feel more natural to control Media Center. Swiping to switch channels, up down to control volume...

It would be a great new pool to dip into of a Windows 7 app could be easily displayed on bigger screens. It think the panoramic view offers more then just a 'bigger screen' as when you see scaled iPhone apps on the iPad. It would deliver more content in one viewing container...

Because waving my arms around in the air is a great substitute for a remote control...

• User profile image
    Dovella
  • User profile image
    CKurt

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Because waving my arms around in the air is a great substitute for a remote control...

Well it's better then a mice for some people. You should see my dad trying to use a mouse! Also it does not have to be great big guestures. Maybe small ones while sitting down just in front of chest. You don't have to be in the middle in front of the tv.

• User profile image
    kettch

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

That would depend on how sensitive and accurate Natal is. If it was a small gesture like "these aren't the droids you're looking for", it would be a lot better than waving your hands around. That would be a lot more convenient than having to grab the remote.

• User profile image
    kitron

Microsoft has said many times that they won't bring a browser for Xbox360. Maybe this will change their mind.

Microsoft should  also add an app section to xbox360 (silverlight and xna) just like on wp7.  Combine that with upcoming natal and they got a good package.

• User profile image
    RLO

intelman said:

Are you using a Cablecard, intelman?  I have zero issues with mapping the zune software to my recorded t.v. and pulling my recordings over to my device.  Then again, I am not using cablecard either.

I love media center, but there's no true satelite support.  The EPG is disjointed, and I have to go and "reboot" my recievers once a day.  (Yeah, I know should have went with cable, but I wanted to protest lack of cablecard support in my area.)  Last I was aware Direct TV cancelled their plans for better integration, and rumor has it Dish's draco was killed as well.  Looking at project snowbird, one has to wonder what's in store. http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/15/niveus-shows-how-it-can-help-cable-and-satellite-providers-get-h/

What I consider really funny, is that Windows 7 Media Center Supports "Internet TV", but it's not supported on extenders, not even the 360. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/learn-more/internet-tv/articles/internet-tv-overview.aspx#Access

• User profile image
    intelman

RLO said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

Are you using a Cablecard, intelman?  I have zero issues with mapping the zune software to my recorded t.v. and pulling my recordings over to my device.  Then again, I am not using cablecard either.

I love media center, but there's no true satelite support.  The EPG is disjointed, and I have to go and "reboot" my recievers once a day.  (Yeah, I know should have went with cable, but I wanted to protest lack of cablecard support in my area.)  Last I was aware Direct TV cancelled their plans for better integration, and rumor has it Dish's draco was killed as well.  Looking at project snowbird, one has to wonder what's in store. http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/15/niveus-shows-how-it-can-help-cable-and-satellite-providers-get-h/

What I consider really funny, is that Windows 7 Media Center Supports "Internet TV", but it's not supported on extenders, not even the 360. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/learn-more/internet-tv/articles/internet-tv-overview.aspx#Access

Yeah cable card is last I tried. I actually have DTV now, so perhaps then I can do something amazing? The bad integration scared me away. How is the quality?

• User profile image
    RLO

intelman said:
    RLO said:
    *snip*

Yeah cable card is last I tried. I actually have DTV now, so perhaps then I can do something amazing? The bad integration scared me away. How is the quality?

Quality is ok, I am running Dish.  Unfortunately the tuners have a reboot/shutdown period in which they pull information, and then go to a screensaver.  Of course, media center doesn't know how to send the proper code to restore the video signal.  So every day, I walk down to my basement, push select on the recievers, then go back upstairs to watch tv.  It's a pain in the tail.  I would first check and make sure your recievers don't reboot and require you to send a signal to restore video.  If so, then you might want to give it a shot, at least to be able to take tv on  the go.  As far as quality on the Zune, they are perfect, on most standard tv's perfect.  On HDTV's not as crisp.  I have a third tuner set up to play direct to my big screen in the basement that I use for home theater purposes.  The quality on HD channels on it outshines what media center outputs, but in most cases I am fine with the quality on my smaller screens.

• User profile image
    intelman

RLO said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

Quality is ok, I am running Dish.  Unfortunately the tuners have a reboot/shutdown period in which they pull information, and then go to a screensaver.  Of course, media center doesn't know how to send the proper code to restore the video signal.  So every day, I walk down to my basement, push select on the recievers, then go back upstairs to watch tv.  It's a pain in the tail.  I would first check and make sure your recievers don't reboot and require you to send a signal to restore video.  If so, then you might want to give it a shot, at least to be able to take tv on  the go.  As far as quality on the Zune, they are perfect, on most standard tv's perfect.  On HDTV's not as crisp.  I have a third tuner set up to play direct to my big screen in the basement that I use for home theater purposes.  The quality on HD channels on it outshines what media center outputs, but in most cases I am fine with the quality on my smaller screens.

That certainly is an interesting DRM loophole. Wont be long before they require HDMI with HDCP or something dumb. I might have to try this.

• User profile image
    CKurt

RLO said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

[quote]What I consider really funny, is that Windows 7 Media Center Supports "Internet TV", but it's not supported on extenders, not even the 360. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/learn-more/internet-tv/articles/internet-tv-overview.aspx#Access[/quote]

Well... I guess that is just contract thing since the website's providing the content might not have the rights to deliver it to a TV but only the rights to deliver it to a PC. They must really work on that , altough that might be hard because some set up boxes require you to pay to get series/movies on demand and most internet tv does not so they would  love revenue...

Then again, this really sucks in Belgium (europe) because Internet TV is not available here in Media Center (again because of TV rights). Even though most new channels here also provide there shows free online! Microsoft should really work on better internationalisation regarding this. Why not set up a team in every country to research wath internet tv is available and bring it to that country his media centers!

• User profile image
    RLO

CKurt said:
    RLO said:
    *snip*

[quote]What I consider really funny, is that Windows 7 Media Center Supports "Internet TV", but it's not supported on extenders, not even the 360. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/learn-more/internet-tv/articles/internet-tv-overview.aspx#Access[/quote]

Well... I guess that is just contract thing since the website's providing the content might not have the rights to deliver it to a TV but only the rights to deliver it to a PC. They must really work on that , altough that might be hard because some set up boxes require you to pay to get series/movies on demand and most internet tv does not so they would  love revenue...

Then again, this really sucks in Belgium (europe) because Internet TV is not available here in Media Center (again because of TV rights). Even though most new channels here also provide there shows free online! Microsoft should really work on better internationalisation regarding this. Why not set up a team in every country to research wath internet tv is available and bring it to that country his media centers!

After recently installing the update on my laptop, I can see where the problem may lie.  It takes an install of Flash on media center in order to work. 

Internet TV is not as robust as advertised and is very similar to the Extras that were introduced in Media Center 2005.  Think BBC iPlayer, but not as good.

Overall, I still believe in the Media Center platform and I was excited to see the ban lifted for OEM Cablecard requirements, but there are still problems that need to be resolved.

One:  You have the option to sync through Media Center, but not if you have a Zune.

Two:  Partners are dropping the platform left and right.  The United States National Public Radio for one that removed their extras channel last year.

Three: Lack of extender support from third parties.

Chris Lanier makes some good points about the platform over at the green button.  http://thegreenbutton.com/blogs/chris_blog/archive/2009/08/22/going-beyond-the-enthusiast-market.aspx

Now Google is the new kid on the block, and unlike Apple TV, I think it may make some inroads. The bigger question is how will Microsoft respond to this.  Will they see it as a threat, and move to compete?  Will they sit back and let a competitor take another chunk of market?

In the meantime, I am watching TV through my Xbox and enjoying it.

• User profile image
    CKurt

RLO said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

After recently installing the update on my laptop, I can see where the problem may lie.  It takes an install of Flash on media center in order to work. 

Internet TV is not as robust as advertised and is very similar to the Extras that were introduced in Media Center 2005.  Think BBC iPlayer, but not as good.

Overall, I still believe in the Media Center platform and I was excited to see the ban lifted for OEM Cablecard requirements, but there are still problems that need to be resolved.

One:  You have the option to sync through Media Center, but not if you have a Zune.

Two:  Partners are dropping the platform left and right.  The United States National Public Radio for one that removed their extras channel last year.

Three: Lack of extender support from third parties.

Chris Lanier makes some good points about the platform over at the green button.  http://thegreenbutton.com/blogs/chris_blog/archive/2009/08/22/going-beyond-the-enthusiast-market.aspx

Now Google is the new kid on the block, and unlike Apple TV, I think it may make some inroads. The bigger question is how will Microsoft respond to this.  Will they see it as a threat, and move to compete?  Will they sit back and let a competitor take another chunk of market?

In the meantime, I am watching TV through my Xbox and enjoying it.

Question: What do you mean by watching TV trough your Xbox ?

Is your Xbox connected to your TV set but you are using a TV card in a pc that is running media center and XBox as an extender to get TV channels onto your TV? This seems like a detour, although it does help not having to switch 'input' on your tv set.

My TV card is rather old and we have a brand new tv. Also we have a proprietary set up box in belgium from Telenet to decode digital signals witch gives a much better picture then my analog tv card in my pc.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.