Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Epic Success

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    exoteric
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

How can you ask us to choose?  There are so many.  On top of that list, VS documentary and the History of MS are well worth a mention.

Seems like Channel9 has really been on fire lately with the videos.  The C9 Live stuff, E2E, the lecture series, all great stuff.

It's a real shame you can't sort the video list by rating, it would be inreasting to see the ones the members rate the highest. (OData feed on the videos please so we could do this ourselves?)

• User profile image
    Charles

PerfectPhase said:

How can you ask us to choose?  There are so many.  On top of that list, VS documentary and the History of MS are well worth a mention.

Seems like Channel9 has really been on fire lately with the videos.  The C9 Live stuff, E2E, the lecture series, all great stuff.

It's a real shame you can't sort the video list by rating, it would be inreasting to see the ones the members rate the highest. (OData feed on the videos please so we could do this ourselves?)

Stay tuned for sorting features... Smiley
    C

PS: I loved the VS documentary. Hoping Tina will do one on Windows, too. History of Microsoft was great. Channel 9 Live is fantastic and brings Niners into the conversation in real time - something we've wanted to do for several years. Kudos to Nic et al for pulling it off so well. Great to ask your questions live!!

• User profile image
    exoteric

PerfectPhase said:

Too few people bother to give a thumbs up, unfortunately. The view count is probably a better measure.

And of course the Functional Programming Lecture Series must not be forgotten!

• User profile image
    Charles

exoteric said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*

Too few people bother to give a thumbs up, unfortunately. The view count is probably a better measure.

And of course the Functional Programming Lecture Series must not be forgotten!

Agreed. We are working on making it more obvious...
    C

PS: Two new Lectures series in the works: STL (for the C++ devs out there) and a special series on type systems with a special (secret) guest lecturer..

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Charles said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

C

PS: Two new Lectures series in the works: STL (for the C++ devs out there) and a special series on type systems with a special (secret) guest lecturer..

Just one other things...  I went looking for the Corrinne Yu - Part 2 video on http://channel9.msdn.com/Media/ It was posted on 19th of May but does not show in the list?  You can find it via the tag cloud and the front page.  Just wondering now how many other videos just vanish into the mists of time?

• User profile image
    rhm

Charles said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

C

Channel 9 University! Where do I pick up my diploma?

• User profile image
    Charles

PerfectPhase said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Just one other things...  I went looking for the Corrinne Yu - Part 2 video on http://channel9.msdn.com/Media/ It was posted on 19th of May but does not show in the list?  You can find it via the tag cloud and the front page.  Just wondering now how many other videos just vanish into the mists of time?

Fixed Smiley

This happens because we sometimes forget to set the media type on our posts (it defaults to No media, which means it won't show up in the /media/ feed...).

C

• User profile image
    Charles

rhm said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Channel 9 University! Where do I pick up my diploma?

I like the sound of that: Channel 9 University. Smiley

We'd have to provide tests for you to pass in order to get your C9 Degree... Hmm.

C

• User profile image
    davewill

Charles said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

I like the sound of that: Channel 9 University. Smiley

We'd have to provide tests for you to pass in order to get your C9 Degree... Hmm.

C

Please don't let Erik come up with the test.  Smiley

OR actually let Erik come up with the test based on previous C9 content.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Gotta say I like the Bertrand one  - a lot - with the sleeping barbers, I also enjoy the expert to expert ones a lot, and any with the Technical fellows (been a bit thin lately - the Butler Lampson one was great), but Daniel Moth, Beth Massi, Ron Jacobs even the 5 minute vid on creating a network diagram with Visio has got me out of a fix, contributing to the epic success of whatever I was working on at the time.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Definitely Singularity videos. They were like methadone version of Longhorn videos. I still haven't forgiven Microsoft for Longhorn.. I remember when it was just after XP got released and those videos started to come out. They made it look like second coming of Jesus.. Singularity videos were kinda like that. Charles, we want more of our favorite binary drug..  Smiley

• User profile image
    exoteric

RoyalSchrubber said:

Definitely Singularity videos. They were like methadone version of Longhorn videos. I still haven't forgiven Microsoft for Longhorn.. I remember when it was just after XP got released and those videos started to come out. They made it look like second coming of Jesus.. Singularity videos were kinda like that. Charles, we want more of our favorite binary drug..  Smiley

I think the current approach is for projects on the scale of Longhorn to be in private incubation, precisely because Microsoft doesn't want the public to expect whatever new research or incubation they lanch will turn into the next version of Product X when they are themselves not sure when or if these projects will turn into products. That said, one could argue that the main problem with Longhorn is that it was not an incubation project but rather in line to replace Windows with an unrealistic time schedule and unproven technologies.

I surely hope the dream of a managed code operating system is not dead within Microsoft but rather that the fundamentals needed to make it work will be tried and tested so that the next bet will be a sure one. One lesson is that's it's extremely important to manage expectations and to label projects correctly, be it Internet Explorer (Platform Preview; "where is my address bar") or Windows + 1. It's clear that Windows 7 is a very lean and cool but still incremental Windows. Maybe Windows 8 will be too. There is an interview with a member of the Windows core architechture team performed by Robert Hess (behind the code) where the architect, Richard Ward, says that he's working two versions ahead of the current version of Windows. Pretty cool.

The Singularity videos rock. No doubt about it.

• User profile image
    Charles

exoteric said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

I think the current approach is for projects on the scale of Longhorn to be in private incubation, precisely because Microsoft doesn't want the public to expect whatever new research or incubation they lanch will turn into the next version of Product X when they are themselves not sure when or if these projects will turn into products. That said, one could argue that the main problem with Longhorn is that it was not an incubation project but rather in line to replace Windows with an unrealistic time schedule and unproven technologies.

I surely hope the dream of a managed code operating system is not dead within Microsoft but rather that the fundamentals needed to make it work will be tried and tested so that the next bet will be a sure one. One lesson is that's it's extremely important to manage expectations and to label projects correctly, be it Internet Explorer (Platform Preview; "where is my address bar") or Windows + 1. It's clear that Windows 7 is a very lean and cool but still incremental Windows. Maybe Windows 8 will be too. There is an interview with a member of the Windows core architechture team performed by Robert Hess (behind the code) where the architect, Richard Ward, says that he's working two versions ahead of the current version of Windows. Pretty cool.

The Singularity videos rock. No doubt about it.

You've been paying attention, exoteric. Excellent.

Richard Ward is great. I love the Behind the Code series and I occasionally pressure Hess to do more interviews (he's a master at it) for 9.

Here's another piece, though old (I had no gray hair....) where Windows architects discuss the thinking behind Windows evolution. One of my favorites. All that they said is still as true now as it was then (and before then). Interesting to note the dependencies among modules that comprise Windows are much better understood today than when this conversation took place. Windows has become more composable. There is still a great deal of work to do in order to achieve the vision.

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Rob-Short-and-kernel-team-Going-deep-inside-Windows-Vistas-kernel-architecture/

C

• User profile image
    Bass

I really enjoy the E2E series, as well as the lectures. There was one with a technical fellow (I don't recall his name) which I thought was excellent. You are definately doing some great work Charles.

• User profile image
    tfraser

The ones with Brian Beckman on the history of old computers (with the Curta, I think) and the physics simulation in Forza were great.

Edit: Links ...

• User profile image
    soum

Can't believe I missed the 2nd Singularity video (Singularity Revisited). But its missing the media downloads. Charles, can you take care of the missing download link?

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

davewill said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Please don't let Erik come up with the test.  Smiley

OR actually let Erik come up with the test based on previous C9 content.

Or Brian for that matter!

3 + (product ((1 + 1/k)^3)/(1 + 3/k) k=1 to infinity)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.