Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

question on podcast radio

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

Ok heres the vague idea.

I know this may be the wrong place to ask but this is the only place i can really think of asking.

As a student in the UK (please note this this is rather a UK specific question), we have a student radio station.  Now the station at the moment runs only 8 weeks of the (academic) year because we haven't been able to get a community radio license.  however as you can imagine, running 8 weeks of the year means that diversity in radio shows is good but well could be so much better.

now of course the way to combat this would to be setup podcasts of various shows that haven't been able to get the time to run for whatever reason, however now here comes the question.  If such a solution was to be taken up, how does license fees come into it.  basically theres little point in the show (unless of course download your own tunes, include the inbetween bits and you can mix n' match your own show but lets not delve that way) without music, so while the radio station is payed up and allowed to run, would it also cover podcasts and any songs included in those podcasts?

does anyone know or am i asking a question with no real answer yet?

forwarded to scoble, dave winer and adam curry (as those are the only people i know who are huge on this sorta scene, sorry i'm a newb) 

• User profile image
    Minh

I'm, by no means, even a half-way decent source of information for these legal matters. So all I know, I've gathered by listening to Adam Curry.

1) RIAA is the licensing body here in the US
    2) Webcasting is a separate licensing than radio broadcasting
    3) Fees for webcasting is some cents / song / play
    4) ASCAP is another licensing model?
    5) ASCAP is much cheaper ($200 / yr ?) and it's allowable on Podcasts as long as you don't publicize your song list (I'm guessing to avoid turning it to a web radio station model)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh wrote:
    I'm, by no means, even a half-way decent source of information for these legal matters. So all I know, I've gathered by listening to Adam Curry.

1) RIAA is the licensing body here in the US
    2) Webcasting is a separate licensing than radio broadcasting
    3) Fees for webcasting is some cents / song / play
    4) ASCAP is another licensing model?
    5) ASCAP is much cheaper ($200 / yr ?) and it's allowable on Podcasts as long as you don't publicize your song list (I'm guessing to avoid turning it to a web radio station model)

So I need to pay some people money to run my own Shoutcast or WMS server?

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:

So I need to pay some people money to run my own Shoutcast or WMS server?
    Only if you plan to play pre-recorded music AND want to be legit.

• User profile image
    Jaz

scobles the man!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Jaz, I don't have the answers to this one. I'm trying to get them, though.

• User profile image
    Jaz

scoble, it's the fact that you're trying that rocks.  it's not something that you have to do you're just going that extra mile.  the world needs more scobles.

hmm gonna have to wait and see if mr winer and mr curry reply.  i hold less hope.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.