Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PowerPivot in Excel 2010 - Have any questions about it?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    tina10

We are doing a series of Office 2010 interviews on June 1st and 2nd and I want to make sure we ask the right questions.  Is there anything you would like to know or like us to ask about Power Pivot in Excel 2010?  Thanks in advance. 

Tina

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Are there any advantages to querying against R2 vs 2008 RTM? Also, is it possible to get multiple PowerPivots into a single workbook? And where should I go to learn the in-and-outs of DAX?

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

And why do I get a "The value for column 'item_pack' in table 'Table_on_Items' cannot be determined in the current context.", when I create a calculated column "=Query[bottles]/Table_on_items[item_pack]"?  I created the relations, and that seemed to be a no-brainier. Table_on_item is a linked table and Query is a SQL query.

Even after the releationship is created, when I try to create  a non-compound measure

=RELATED(table_on_items[item_pack])

I get: The column 'table_on_items[item_pack]' either doesn't exist or doesn't have a relationship to any table available in the current context.

Edit: First I had to create the column item_pack on my Query table, within PowerPivot, using Related. Then I was able to create a column named cases, where cases = bottles / item_pack. I would say that something should kick-in and tell you to use the related function when it looks like you are trying to do something obvious that doesn't work.

Everything else is surprisingly quick, even with 30 million rows.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.