Coffeehouse Thread

130 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Windows era is over

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    fknight

exoteric said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

I believe this is a failure to understand the importance of usability. A cube mapped desktop or window flip may have some initial attraction but its appeal will quickly fade and it has near zero usability advantages.

Interestingly, I think this presentation on digital comics by Scott McCloud shows great usability ideas. Highly recommended.

I especially liked the part of the movie where the virtualized instance of Windows XP ran pretty smooth, but the native OS w/Compiz running on the bare metal lagged most of the time. I know for a fact from using Ubuntu 10.04 that it really isn't as laggy as the video indicates -- it's actually quite smooth with all of the effects -- I just thought the fact that this video was judged adequate to put on YouTube is humorous -- and if I didn't know better and was only exposed to this video, I'd stay the hell away from Compiz.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Bass said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Cube desktop is cute. Now where is the other 99% of Compiz Fusion?  Smiley

It rotates desktop. How much more does it need to do?

• User profile image
    Ray7

Bass said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

You are free to think Compiz is yawn worthy, I guess that is one of the many places where we differ. Fact of the matter is, I can't get it on Windows. Smiley

Fact of the matter is it's not even an app.

• User profile image
    Bass

exoteric said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

I believe this is a failure to understand the importance of usability. A cube mapped desktop or window flip may have some initial attraction but its appeal will quickly fade and it has near zero usability advantages.

Interestingly, I think this presentation on digital comics by Scott McCloud shows great usability ideas. Highly recommended.

I know a lot of the UI affects are useless, but it has gotten to the point that any OS without Compiz Fusion (inc. Linux with it disabled) feels primative and outdated. But yeah, some of the plugins are actually useful IMO.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.