Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSN Messenger encryption

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lars

I'm looking for something that will encrypt/decrypt my MSN Messenger traffic on the fly. It doesn't have to be amazingly secure, I'm just trying to stop the casual snooper watching my traffic on the wire. Since it would have to be installed on the recipients machine as well it should be as cheap as possible.

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    Jaz

q1:  why does html keep showing up, what are you all doing to your thread titles?

q2:  do you really talk about anything that important.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Lars, check out SimpLite from Secway:

SimpLite-MSN is free for personal use at home or at the office. The only restriction is that only one product from the SimpLite family can be launched at the same time: either SimpLite-MSN, SimpLite-AIM, SimpLite-ICQ or SimpLite-Yahoo!.

We also recommend that you check our new SimpPro, especially designed for corporate environments or more demanding home users.

• User profile image
    lars

jonathanh wrote:
    Lars, check out SimpLite from Secway:

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!

Jaz wrote:
    q1:  why does html keep showing up, what are you all doing to your thread titles?

I'm kinda wondering that myself. I checked the "no smileys for this post". Could that have something to do with it?

Jaz wrote:
    q2:  do you really talk about anything that important.

No, it's just for my own peace of mind. If anyone is interested enough to do some basic crypto analysis, which I seriously doubt, they're welcome. The default setting in SimpLite is RSA/2048. That's more than enough to make me happy. Smiley

• User profile image
    dani3l3

GAIM (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/) has a plugin for this: http://gaim-encryption.sourceforge.net/
    Of course it won't work with the *official* MSN Messenger, so with GAIM you won't have all of the other MSN features.
    But since it uses also other networks (Yahoo, ICQ, etc), you can encrypt those too.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.