16 posts

Windows 8 requests

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

Windows 8 is work in progress, Ok .

Dev you have a request ? Pls post here!

My small request

Media Player , Media Center and Zune software.

MS .  pls decide , only one and stop

(i love Zune software)

you request ? Pls post here.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Media Center is a 10 foot interface. The others are not.

Can Zune software sync with any mp3 device? If so, then kill off Media Player. Redirect any DLL calls to Zune.

As far as Windows 8 requests...

• .NET/WPF takes a more central role, moving more of the OS code to managed where possible
    • Removing more compatibility code. There's no reason to continue support for Win 9x applications
    • Required Internet connection with only basic drivers included on installation disc
    • Central place to find, buy, install, and uninstall applications (similar to Ubuntu's software center).
  • User profile image
    exoteric
  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

spivonious said:

Media Center is a 10 foot interface. The others are not.

Can Zune software sync with any mp3 device? If so, then kill off Media Player. Redirect any DLL calls to Zune.

As far as Windows 8 requests...

• .NET/WPF takes a more central role, moving more of the OS code to managed where possible
    • Removing more compatibility code. There's no reason to continue support for Win 9x applications
    • Required Internet connection with only basic drivers included on installation disc
    • Central place to find, buy, install, and uninstall applications (similar to Ubuntu's software center).

I say bring back the Program Manager to replace the Start Menu. Its app icon would be where the Start orb is now. Similar to your suggestion, it would a central app to find, install, uninstall, update, organize and launch apps. Commonly used apps would of course be dragged to the taskbar. handle update notification and install/update progress like the iPhone, with little red badges and on-icon progress bars.

• User profile image
    algorith

I'd like them to keep the same philosophy as with Windows 7 and slim it down even more. Make it faster. Definitely keep the search bar in the start menu (haven't clicked to open a program in ages on Win 7). If a feature/tool is not necessary, take it out and reduce the memory footprint.  Overall, make it fast and simple. 

• User profile image
    Charles

exoteric said:

Smiley I'd imagine this will take place, but it is way too early for this...

C

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

DCMonkey said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

I say bring back the Program Manager to replace the Start Menu. Its app icon would be where the Start orb is now. Similar to your suggestion, it would a central app to find, install, uninstall, update, organize and launch apps. Commonly used apps would of course be dragged to the taskbar. handle update notification and install/update progress like the iPhone, with little red badges and on-icon progress bars.

In early Windows 7 builds there was something called a "Programs Explorer":

http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/12/27/nostalgia-programs-explorer-in-old-windows-7-m1-builds/

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    spivonious

brian.shapiro said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/12/27/nostalgia-programs-explorer-in-old-windows-7-m1-builds/

Generic Forum Image

Ah, good. I'll take this to mean that they couldn't get it working in time for Beta 1 but it will be included in Win8.  The Software Center in Ubuntu is probably my favorite feature.

Was there ever any word on what that "Get New Programs" link did?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

spivonious said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

Ah, good. I'll take this to mean that they couldn't get it working in time for Beta 1 but it will be included in Win8.  The Software Center in Ubuntu is probably my favorite feature.

It probably went to the Windows Marketplace which has been abandoned.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

spivonious said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

I'm not sure I like it as was designed, but I think Windows needs to allow you to organize the All Programs list by metadata instead of shortcut folders. I'm kind of sick of the fact that some companies (Adobe, Microsoft used to do it with Office) dump all of their shortcuts in the root folder and it creates a mess.

The shortcuts should be able to be assigned some metadata for Product Name (Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop), Package Name (Microsoft Office, Adobe CS5), etc..

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

brian.shapiro said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

Generic Forum Image

That's a good start. I'd make the items on the left under "All Programs' like Explorer favorties; based program metadata (I notice the icons in that screenshot have "Publisher" metadata) and end user tagging. I would only include a few default items like "Recently Installed", "Gadgets" and "Games". I'm not sure I'd put "Windows Features" there*.

I don't think the Uninstall links should be there. They should be buttons on the toolbar that appear for the selected program(s). I would instead have links to the App Store (which would display integrated into the shell) and to a list of available program updates.

As for the suggestion that it replace the Start Menu, that is coming from two directions. One is the discussion in that other thread about how cramped the All Programs list is (though I suppose linking this to that menu item would solve the problem). The other is that with commonly used apps on the Task Bar and Jump Lists (put recently used apps on the PM jump list and the common folders on the FM jump list), the Start Menu seems a bit redundant.

* I'm not 100% sure of this opinion, but I think OS configuration and updates should be separate from end user app updating UI wise, even if they share common back-end infrastructure.

• User profile image
    exoteric

Charles said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

Smiley I'd imagine this will take place, but it is way too early for this...

C

e8.ToObservable().Subscribe(...) Smiley

• User profile image
    Dovella
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Dovella said:

Official? When there's no source, and it's not published by anyone from Microsoft? Interesting definition of official.

• User profile image
    windowsdeve​loper

I have an additional Windows game request!

Add the GO Game among Windows games as a new Windows 8 game.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I hope they make a standard XML based application manager. This will not change how older software installs. But, I hope some right minded developer would follow this standard application manager installation.

Basically it is like Gadget install. NO installer!!!! NO uninstaller!!!!. Because even Yahoo and Google failed to make a proper uninstaller and they are so annoying. Run uninstaller and nothing really uninstalled. If it is completely managed by Windows, I wouldn't have this evil developer making crap uninstaller problems.

Certainly this is not a mandatory way to install a software, because application manager should have limited flexibility. Thus, users can expect certain safty from it, like installing something won't damage IE or FF because the managere doesn't allow it to change other program space.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.