Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

oil spill / MS help?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

    ...only because youre so huge (and it woud be good PR)

     

    is there ANYTHING you could do to help?

     

    software... money... expertise... cameras...  donation?

     

    edit:

     

    "Microsoft's Steve Ballmer today pledged 500 million in cleanup aid...

     

    (or less than buying one small company...

     

    ?

     

     

    *ha oops i meant 50 million.. but 500 ...sure why not!

     

     

    edit 2:    5 million?

     

     

    edit 3:  i hate to invite the responses - but when bill was at the helm - this would have been a no brainer... = pre-ACT

     

    edit 4: wasnt Vista marketing 500 mil?  Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    exoteric

    The oil company ought to have the resources and they ought to be held fully financially responsible.

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    SAY NO TO CARS, that's how you can help

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    Well, I don't care about oil spill now. It already happened and it sux. Now, what's the next BS is going to happen? I am sure it will happen as we have so many old intrustructures. I expect some power plant just blow up because we didn't build new one to retire them. Let's see how long before they blow up and see people whine and pretent they didn't know it is coming.

     

     

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    giovanni

    Ion Todirel said:

    SAY NO TO CARS, that's how you can help

    I would love to park mine and never have to drive it again, but I am afraid it will take a lot more than 500 millions to make up for railroads we abandoned in favor of highways.

     

    Jukes aside, I am afraid this will be a necessary step, yet a very hard one to take if we want to minimize our need for oil.

  • User profile image
    intelman

    Ion Todirel said:

    SAY NO TO CARS, that's how you can help

    It is not just cars, petroleum is needed for almost everything. Plastics ... lubricants ... manufacturing....

  • User profile image
    raptor3676

    intelman said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

    It is not just cars, petroleum is needed for almost everything. Plastics ... lubricants ... manufacturing....

    Totally.... But most of it is burned just to power cars.  So ending the massive consumption, and given the fact that most plastics can be reused/recycled, will end the lust for oil, a long with the need search for oil in exotic locations, such as sea beds or the poles, or other environmentally sensitive locations.

     

    So I'm going with Ion here! Say no to cars/oil, hope the US learn from this and start to back alternative power sources, lowering the prices and making sense (economically) for the rest of the world to adopt them too.

  • User profile image
    elmer

    giovanni said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

    I would love to park mine and never have to drive it again, but I am afraid it will take a lot more than 500 millions to make up for railroads we abandoned in favor of highways.

     

    Jukes aside, I am afraid this will be a necessary step, yet a very hard one to take if we want to minimize our need for oil.

    Public transport inrfastructue is an important part of the solution, but it's going to take a lot more than that.

     

    City planning that has encouraged urban sprawl and located services (e.g. supermarkets & shopping malls) on the assumption of motor vehicle access, will be diffiicult to resolve without some mode of personal transport.

     

    Personally, I choose a bicycle for my personal transport, but I doubt that would work for enough people in a car-dependant city.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    didnt hear of any annoucement yet...

     

     

     

    * this ...might be about defending more than a coastline... but about defending corporations as they stand.

     

    as an ... artist and musician - i love to watch you do nothing ( as all else are doing) - but as  an ms fan - i want you to step UP

     

    *either way ... i win - but one way - you DONT

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    jamie said:

    didnt hear of any annoucement yet...

     

     

     

    * this ...might be about defending more than a coastline... but about defending corporations as they stand.

     

    as an ... artist and musician - i love to watch you do nothing ( as all else are doing) - but as  an ms fan - i want you to step UP

     

    *either way ... i win - but one way - you DONT

    So what could MS do? Donate cash? To what - BP? There's no central clean-up operation as yet as far as I can see.

     

    Software? Same problem applies? Donate to who? And why? What good would it do?

  • User profile image
    jamie

    blowdart said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

    So what could MS do? Donate cash? To what - BP? There's no central clean-up operation as yet as far as I can see.

     

    Software? Same problem applies? Donate to who? And why? What good would it do?

    ms/ ballmer could come out and say "bla bla america -save it / protect it - bla bla - 5mil  / 50 mil / 500 mil

     

     

    = heroes

     

     

    edit: im assuming the "all corps should be wary" message wasnt lost on you... ?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    ms/ ballmer could come out and say "bla bla america -save it / protect it - bla bla - 5mil  / 50 mil / 500 mil

     

     

    = heroes

     

     

    edit: im assuming the "all corps should be wary" message wasnt lost on you... ?

    And where would the money go to? Right now BP is paying. So what, give money to BP?

     

    Anyway, giving money is, like oil, unsustainable. It's a cheap PR stunt which doesn't fix the underlying problem.

  • User profile image
    elmer

    KFC, McDonalds, et-al... I reckon if they gave away free meals, their patrons could have that leak clogged up in no time.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    blowdart said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

    And where would the money go to? Right now BP is paying. So what, give money to BP?

     

    Anyway, giving money is, like oil, unsustainable. It's a cheap PR stunt which doesn't fix the underlying problem.

    i agree (and with elmer)

     

    its NOT ms fault.... but its a corporations fault

     

     

     

    ....and as such......  ?

     

     

     

    *dont they have rights as people?  bla bla

     do they not stick together - like people?

     

     

    *im mainly talking FIX/CLEAN     ... not STOP

     

     

     

    edit:   ...just to step up

     

     

    edit 2:  katrina wasnt "man made"

     

     

    this was CORP MADE

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    i agree (and with elmer)

     

    its NOT ms fault.... but its a corporations fault

     

     

     

    ....and as such......  ?

     

     

     

    *dont they have rights as people?  bla bla

     do they not stick together - like people?

     

     

    *im mainly talking FIX/CLEAN     ... not STOP

     

     

     

    edit:   ...just to step up

     

     

    edit 2:  katrina wasnt "man made"

     

     

    this was CORP MADE

    Are you just deliberatly missing the point?

     

    Let's try again.

     

    Step up to what? There's nothing there to step up to right now. BP is doing everything. There is no major organized cleaning by non-profits. So monetary donations for clean-up would go to BP, or, err, the US government.

     

    So once again, what exactly are they supposed to do that's practical rather than designed to make you just feel warm and cuddly inside, and which isn't a cheap PR stunt?

  • User profile image
    jamie

    blowdart said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

    Are you just deliberatly missing the point?

     

    Let's try again.

     

    Step up to what? There's nothing there to step up to right now. BP is doing everything. There is no major organized cleaning by non-profits. So monetary donations for clean-up would go to BP, or, err, the US government.

     

    So once again, what exactly are they supposed to do that's practical rather than designed to make you just feel warm and cuddly inside, and which isn't a cheap PR stunt?

    ANYTHING

     

     SOMETHING

     

    sheesh

      

    ps im in canada - who cares right...  well I DO!  (as we all do in .ca)

     

    edit: ok you caught me on what we are doing (canada) ...ermm... i dont really know if we're helping (although usually - over past 40 years - we normally help - recent= (harper govt...)  ... not so much

     

     

     

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    ANYTHING

     

     SOMETHING

     

    sheesh

      

    ps im in canada - who cares right...  well I DO!  (as we all do in .ca)

     

    edit: ok you caught me on what we are doing (canada) ...ermm... i dont really know if we're helping (although usually - over past 40 years - we normally help - recent= (harper govt...)  ... not so much

     

     

     

    Oh ok. I'll go get something from the company store, and post it down to BP. Will that do? No? Oh.

     

    A knee-jerk reaction which helps no-one is worse than nothing.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    blowdart said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

    Oh ok. I'll go get something from the company store, and post it down to BP. Will that do? No? Oh.

     

    A knee-jerk reaction which helps no-one is worse than nothing.

    i dont get your rebuttle...

     

    im saying - as a corp -say if  ballmer goes - "we pledge imediate relief workers to help coastline cleaners ..etc"

     

    how can that be bad? it may be expensive - but it is not bad

     

    its not "bad PR"  while at same time it is not DONE for pr

     

     

    if corps want to rule world - as "people" they need to stick together - like people.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.