Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google moving away from Windows

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

So, Google is "moving away" from Windows...

http://www.neowin.net/news/google-ditching-windows-for-linux-and-mac

I found two comments which are spot on imho :

"Interesting, they are migrating away from Windows because of a flaw in a 9 year old browser on a platform that is two versions out of date.

"However, they feel pretty good about a closed-source implementation of an open source operating system on locked-in hardware?"

Smiley

• User profile image
    jh71283

So wait, in January this year, Google were still running machines on windows XP and IE6, and this is Microsofts fault?

What?

• User profile image
    cheong

Am I the only one thinking it's lame to blame Microsoft instead of blame employees to do normal web surfing with IE6 at this date? IE8 has been out for ages...

I thought IE6 should only be used to test browser compatability in any business environment.

It sounds just like someone using RH9 as desktop then found himself be hacked, then blame Linux for being not secure.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    fknight

-comment deleted because I neglected to read the part about them using Macs-

• User profile image
    PaoloM

fknight said:

-comment deleted because I neglected to read the part about them using Macs-

What part?

The one where they use the OS that ALWAYS fall first in the pwn2own contests? The one with the weakest security of them all? The one with the undisclosed patches?

Thought so Smiley

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

In my opinion Google is a one trick pony (advertising).  They have been making a lot of dumb moves lately that really have me questioning their long term viability.  This is just another in a long list of dumb moves.  Once WP7 comes out I am going to be wiping out every Google account I have ever used and never looking to them again. 

Microsoft released the best OS ever and NOW Google decides to stop using Windows.  Huh??

• User profile image
    Dovella

Google abandoning Windows? From a security standpoint it makes no sense, as @ryannaraine explains: 

--- Not explained in your piece: what exactly is a *better* security mitigation than not using Windows.

This Jan 2010 ZDNet post is still relevant: Will switching from Internet Explorer make you safer? 

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Dovella said:

Google abandoning Windows? From a security standpoint it makes no sense, as @ryannaraine explains: 

--- Not explained in your piece: what exactly is a *better* security mitigation than not using Windows.

This Jan 2010 ZDNet post is still relevant: Will switching from Internet Explorer make you safer? 

Dovella, please, stop using URL shorteners.

This isn't twitter. There is no length limit to your posts. Just use the full URL, or make a link.

• User profile image
    itsnotabug

this is a non-news story. marketing fluff. there are plenty of shops using only macs, some using only *nix, but even with the mac shops, they're stilling running office if not for any other reason, to play nice with others.

call me when they get everyone (read not only front facing admin staff) using chromium only. right now, you can't do much rich media creation in the browser, or even dev work for that matter.

• User profile image
    mstefan

jh71283 said:

So wait, in January this year, Google were still running machines on windows XP and IE6, and this is Microsofts fault?

What?

Apparently some companies look at using IE6 as a feature because a lot of sites (including Facebook) won't work correctly with it.

• User profile image
    Charles

itsnotabug said:

this is a non-news story. marketing fluff. there are plenty of shops using only macs, some using only *nix, but even with the mac shops, they're stilling running office if not for any other reason, to play nice with others.

call me when they get everyone (read not only front facing admin staff) using chromium only. right now, you can't do much rich media creation in the browser, or even dev work for that matter.

Agreed. Not really news, but sure makes a good headline...

My opinion is that if Google are so sure thin clients (like ChromeOS) are the future, then they should eat their own dogfood, as it were. If everyone at Google stops using Windows it's like removing a bucket of water from an Olympic sized swimming pool.

We'll be OK.....

C

• User profile image
    Dovella

Google ditching Windows. New employee will choose between iPhone and AndroidGoogle ditching Windows. New employee will choose between iPhone and Android

Google ditching Microsoft: new employees will be only able to pick between Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum

Google ditching MS: false alarm. Employees will be able to pick an Altair Basic machine after all.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

This is a pretty silly policy.  You should just let your employees use whatever OS gets the job done.  Windows is easily the most practical OS out there.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Of course this comes from a FT comment which reports a few employers saying it. Unnamed employees.

There's no official statement from google over this at all.

There's no way to tell if this is true or not.

• User profile image
    AndyC

If I was the cynical sort, and I am, I might suggest that Google has been pushing it's internal staff to move off Microsoft Office for a long time in order to get better usage data from it's online tools but has faced a lot of internal pushback from staff who just don't consider it a viable alternative. Forcing them off Windows and more in the direction of a platform where Docs provides the a more common experience might help their internal dogfooding efforts.

To use an IE6 flaw as justification in this day and age is a bit daft though, it hardly presents an image of a cutting edge computing giant.

• User profile image
    Dovella

@google Antivirus Firm Warns of New Mac OS X Spyware Application: Antivirus company Intego today announced Continue

• User profile image
    blowdart

Dovella said:

@google Antivirus Firm Warns of New Mac OS X Spyware Application: Antivirus company Intego today announced Continue

THIS ISN'T TWITTER.

• User profile image
    Dovella

blowdart said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

THIS ISN'T TWITTER.

Annoyng? 

Resolved Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.