Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone have a SheevaPlug?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bass

Just curious about its potential as a home server.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Nope, but I'd have thought the lack of internal storage would make it a bit useless as a home server.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

AndyC said:

Nope, but I'd have thought the lack of internal storage would make it a bit useless as a home server.

Isn't that why god invented USB?

• User profile image
    AndyC

JoshRoss said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

But what's the point of a tiny little PC if you have to have a honking great external harddrive hanging off it? Sort of defeats the point, dont you think?

I'm struggling to see a really good use for these, too bulky for a thin client, too under-spec'd for anything else. Other than as a testbed for ARM based development they just seem a little pointless.

• User profile image
    Bass

JoshRoss said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

Apparently the new version even has an eSATA port. Plugging in external HDDs is not a big deal to me, besides, I already own an external HDD. Smiley

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

AndyC said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

But what's the point of a tiny little PC if you have to have a honking great external harddrive hanging off it? Sort of defeats the point, dont you think?

I'm struggling to see a really good use for these, too bulky for a thin client, too under-spec'd for anything else. Other than as a testbed for ARM based development they just seem a little pointless.

You could probably glue a WD passport to the side.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

It is supposed to have very good potential, as it is much better than the NSLU2 that was extremely popular a few years ago. It seems that there are even NSLU2 to SheevaPlug migration guides available online:

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/sheevaplug-migration.html

There are even people trying to install Gentoo Linux on the Sheeva Plug:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-830317.html

• User profile image
    AndyC

JoshRoss said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

You could probably glue a WD passport to the side.

You could probaby glue a lot of things to the side, but that somewhat defeats the point. Why bother getting something that small if you end up putting all the bits that belong inside on the outside?

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

AndyC said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

You could probaby glue a lot of things to the side, but that somewhat defeats the point. Why bother getting something that small if you end up putting all the bits that belong inside on the outside?

The fact that it is small does not diminish the added benefit of composabily.  I would say that the composition of the SheevaPlug and the Passport is still smaller than competing products. It is also likely that the power requirements are lower, allowing this to operate without fans, and when you don't have fans, you don't have noise.

I wanted to drop the word monad in this post, but was not sure where to put it.  Problem solved.

-Josh

• User profile image
    Bass

JoshRoss said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

The fact that it is small does not diminish the added benefit of composabily.  I would say that the composition of the SheevaPlug and the Passport is still smaller than competing products. It is also likely that the power requirements are lower, allowing this to operate without fans, and when you don't have fans, you don't have noise.

I wanted to drop the word monad in this post, but was not sure where to put it.  Problem solved.

-Josh

Exactly. The only bad thing I think is that it is possible that USB2 is not fast enough to use the full potential of the I/O bandwidth. This is solved with the eSATA port.. but there is only one, so only one HDD at full speed.

Still for a full fledged computer to idle at 2W is just awesome. And it's only like $129. I'll have to put it on my to-buy list, but only after I build my Carputer. Which unlike this home server, will probably run Windows.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Bass said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

Exactly. The only bad thing I think is that it is possible that USB2 is not fast enough to use the full potential of the I/O bandwidth. This is solved with the eSATA port.. but there is only one, so only one HDD at full speed.

Still for a full fledged computer to idle at 2W is just awesome. And it's only like $129. I'll have to put it on my to-buy list, but only after I build my Carputer. Which unlike this home server, will probably run Windows.

I would hold out if I were you. Version 3.0 integrates 120GB internal hard disk and uses a faster processor:

http://www.plugcomputer.eu/?p=944

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Shining Arcanine said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

I would hold out if I were you. Version 3.0 integrates 120GB internal hard disk and uses a faster processor:

http://www.plugcomputer.eu/?p=944

I'll just say this:   Ionics (the company that makes that one) has an awful lot of "upcoming" products (seven different models of "plug computers") and very few of them are actually available for order (only one).

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

That could been a nice Media Center box, but it's not x86, oh well....

• User profile image
    Erisan

Look pretty nice. SheevaPlug + HDD would be nice as a small server. 

I have BeagleBoard as a git-server at the moment. Currently I'm waiting my second BeagleBoard for MeeGo development - BeagleBoard-xM

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Ion Todirel said:

That could been a nice Media Center box, but it's not x86, oh well....

How could it have been a nice media center box? Media Center requires a TV tuner.

By the way, I think that the statement should be that media center does not run on ARM. I am not sure why either, considering that .NET is supposed to be ISA-independent.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Shining Arcanine said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

How could it have been a nice media center box? Media Center requires a TV tuner.

By the way, I think that the statement should be that media center does not run on ARM. I am not sure why either, considering that .NET is supposed to be ISA-independent.

Media Center doesn't require a TV tuner, though obviously it's quite useful if you want the full functionality. It's also not written in .NET (hence requiring x86) and runs on Windows (hence requiring x86) and, again, the lack of sufficient local disk would make it a bit useless even if you used one of the Linux based Media Center clones.

I'm not sure I buy the composability argument either, the only reason to adopt a "plug" form factor is to have a very discrete device, not to have a tangle of wires and bits hanging off. It's just self defeating. It probably wouldn't have required much more effort to add a user-servicable 2.5" hard drive bay or SSD slot and then it would be a much more attractive device.

• User profile image
    Erisan

AndyC said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*

Media Center doesn't require a TV tuner, though obviously it's quite useful if you want the full functionality. It's also not written in .NET (hence requiring x86) and runs on Windows (hence requiring x86) and, again, the lack of sufficient local disk would make it a bit useless even if you used one of the Linux based Media Center clones.

I'm not sure I buy the composability argument either, the only reason to adopt a "plug" form factor is to have a very discrete device, not to have a tangle of wires and bits hanging off. It's just self defeating. It probably wouldn't have required much more effort to add a user-servicable 2.5" hard drive bay or SSD slot and then it would be a much more attractive device.

Some people I know uses XBMC and MythTV over NFS, SMB and tunneled SSH. Works great so local disk is not required.

• User profile image
    Bass

AndyC said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*

As Josh, I see the modularity factor as a plus. For similar reasons I really hate when they bundle DSL/Cable modem and a router into one box.

Different between external and internal is if I have an external HDD I can unplug it and take it with me somewhere. I'm not entirely relying on the home server to be always up and Internet connection to be always working when I am going on vacation for example. It also lets me instantly make any external media I own (which is a lot) instantly useful. Eg: I don't have to copy this 500 GB external HDD I have to the server, I can just simply plug it in.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.