Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A Roku Channel for Channel 9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    spottedmah

Are there any Roku users out there?  I love my Roku.

I wish there was a Channel9 Channel for my Roku.  Anybody have any idea to create something like that?

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

This week on C9 has a podcast, and I hear that the Roku will have support this fall. I don't know how many people subscribe. But, I have to image that if many people did, other shows would get ported. Were you looking for video content or forum content on your device?

-Josh

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I've got one that I use for Netflix. I had to go into the secret menu and cap the bandwidth setting because it was being too optimistic  about my max sustained bandwidth and kept stalling to rebuffer. But now it seems to work fine and the quality is good enough.

I'd love a c9 video channel on it.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Out of curiousity, I went and signed up for the Roku Developer SDK to see what would be involved... and in the forum, the first thing I see is your post and the reply about using the MP4 feeds...

It would be interesting to know what the optimal bitrate/resolution would be for the Roku, as our MP4 files are intended for portable devices and are probably much lower resolution than the device supports. If you can find specs, post them here...

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Duncanma said:

Out of curiousity, I went and signed up for the Roku Developer SDK to see what would be involved... and in the forum, the first thing I see is your post and the reply about using the MP4 feeds...

It would be interesting to know what the optimal bitrate/resolution would be for the Roku, as our MP4 files are intended for portable devices and are probably much lower resolution than the device supports. If you can find specs, post them here...

After a bit more digging around, I think the advice you received (that Roku doesn't support WMV so you should use the MP4 files) is not necessarily accurate. I've seen some posts say 'Roku supports WMV playback, but not live streamed WMV' and as far as I know, netflix is sending WMV content to the Roku...

[update] Yep, it definitely supports WMV ... you should download the SDK and give it a whirl making a 'channel' that displays and lets you pick from our WMV High feed on the home page...  http://channel9.msdn.com/Feeds/RSS/WMVHigh/Default.aspx

I'm a bit busy myself, and I don't have a Roku Sad

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Duncanma said:

I have the HD box. I think it listed up to 3.0Mbps on the secret menu. By default it tries to autoconfigure the bitrate but I found that it unreliably measured my (unreliable?) 3 MBps DSL and then constantly tried to step down the bitrate, rebuffering each time. I currently have it set to 1.5MBps.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Duncanma said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

After a bit more digging around, I think the advice you received (that Roku doesn't support WMV so you should use the MP4 files) is not necessarily accurate. I've seen some posts say 'Roku supports WMV playback, but not live streamed WMV' and as far as I know, netflix is sending WMV content to the Roku...

[update] Yep, it definitely supports WMV ... you should download the SDK and give it a whirl making a 'channel' that displays and lets you pick from our WMV High feed on the home page...  http://channel9.msdn.com/Feeds/RSS/WMVHigh/Default.aspx

I'm a bit busy myself, and I don't have a Roku Sad

I think it's the CDNTwo channel that doesn't support WMV in RSS feeds.

I may have to play with this SDK Smiley

• User profile image
    MauriceM

@spottedmah:Mediadfly is the "gateway" to RSS feeds.  Add your RSS feeds to Mediafly then go to the Mediafly channel on your Roku box.  I don't have a Roku device, but I have looked into what it takes to bring internet video into these set-top boxes, and I have used Mediafly on my smartphone. I'm waiting to see what the Boxee Box has to offer.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Old thread, but I'm still curious about how many Channel 9 watchers are also Roku users. I've still made no progress on making an app beyond downloading the SDK. Just too low on the priority list I guess.

• User profile image
    DeathBy​VisualStudio

@Duncanma: Count me in.

• User profile image
    Craig_​Matthews

I watch C9 videos and have two Roku 2 XS devices. There's a Channel 9 private (not on the Roku store) channel already: http://tinyurl.com/bcfpy34

However, this channel seems not to have all of the content -- for example there are only three episodes of The Defrag Show listed when I browse the content on my Roku.

I'd also be interested in a Channel 9 channel for Plex Media Server (plexapp.com) The Roku would pick this channel up too if you have Plex Media Server installed on a PC via the Plex channel on the Roku .. and the bonus would be that, in addition to Roku devices, it would make it available to any DLNA terminal in the house (provided a Plex Media Server is present with the C9 channel installed).

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

@Craig_Matthews:

I'd love to talk to the guy behind that app. It is a nice enough app, but he has hardcoded the shows and episodes into it, instead of pulling from the site. We could make it a lot better if he was interested. No idea how to get ahold of him though.

• User profile image
    Ian2

How come the Roku doesn't just support standard RSS feeds?

• User profile image
    Duncanma

@Ian2: There are apps on it that do, the Roku itself doesn't really do 'anything' other than give you a nice UI to get to the apps. I believe an app called CDNTwo can be used to watch C9 via RSS... I'd just like to see us do more Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.