Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Aero stutter

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Any fix on the way for the Aero stutter bug?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdVrSUhvLE

• User profile image
    spivonious

I've used it since the public beta on four very differently-speced machines and never saw that issue. I'd guess it needs graphics hardware that came out post-1995 Wink

• User profile image
    ZippyV

spivonious said:

I've used it since the public beta on four very differently-speced machines and never saw that issue. I'd guess it needs graphics hardware that came out post-1995 Wink

Not even my 6 year old laptop has this problem.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

ZippyV said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

Not even my 6 year old laptop has this problem.

On the contrary; I see this on my desktop that I built last summer (AMD Phenom II 720, Radeon HD 4870).

I don't, however, see it on my work desktop (with a lower-spec graphics card).

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

When it was in beta there was a registry key you could set that would slow down the animations like that if you held Shift.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I can't remember if Aero's animations actually slow down, or if the video is slowed down to show how the last few frames of the animation are missing.

• User profile image
    davewill

I've never seen that on my Dell Vostro 1700 Win7 64bit RTM laptop (core2 duo).

• User profile image
    wastingtime​withforums

Huge thread about it here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/91dd2caf-eb09-40e3-ac7f-92635d23b237

Looks like MS is still "investigating".

• User profile image
    intelman

wastingtimewithforums said:

Huge thread about it here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/91dd2caf-eb09-40e3-ac7f-92635d23b237

Looks like MS is still "investigating".

Hopefully there is some performance team at Microsoft that is dedicated to making windows damn fast. Windows 7 is pretty fast, but there are too many click lags that still exist. I've seen this aero stutter from time to time. Clicking the network icon or battery icon to change a setting or network and having the window fail to pop up is also quite annoying. Its the little things that are getting pretty annoying.

• User profile image
    turrican

spivonious said:

The video is slowed down to show the stutter.

My machine is an Intel 2.66GHz i7. 12GB DDR3 RAM and a 8600 GTS gfx card... hardly 1995... but I also have another quad core with 8800 on it and same issue there.

It's a stutter, a skip of animation frame. It might be intentional but doesn't look nice.

• User profile image
    spivonious

turrican said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

The video is slowed down to show the stutter.

My machine is an Intel 2.66GHz i7. 12GB DDR3 RAM and a 8600 GTS gfx card... hardly 1995... but I also have another quad core with 8800 on it and same issue there.

It's a stutter, a skip of animation frame. It might be intentional but doesn't look nice.

In that case, I don't see any skipped frames. It happens so fast anyway, who cares if it drops a few frames?

• User profile image
    turrican

spivonious said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

In that case, I don't see any skipped frames. It happens so fast anyway, who cares if it drops a few frames?

Next time a customer tells you there is a bug in your application, tell him "who cares..." and see what happens.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

turrican said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

Next time a customer tells you there is a bug in your application, tell him "who cares..." and see what happens.

Smiley

I honestly can't see what you're talking ahout even in the slowed down version.

• User profile image
    turrican

Sven Groot said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

I honestly can't see what you're talking ahout even in the slowed down version.

I know... tt's rather hard to see it even in the video but on affected systems, you will see it clearly and after a while... it gets... VERY annoying.

• User profile image
    androidi

I don't have those animations enabled so haven't seen that but I have seen a lot of stutter (FPS dropping to maybe 10 FPS) when moving mouse over the taskbar to see the preview views of open apps. Doesn't happen every day though and it usually lasts maybe couple minutes. I've even ran the Performance Diagnostic tool capture during these things and the event logs show nothing special. (Though I suspect there's some issues with defrag service, possibly also indexing service loading system as those were visible in the captures)

• User profile image
    spivonious

turrican said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

Smiley

I tell them that all the time 8)

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

turrican said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

I know... tt's rather hard to see it even in the video but on affected systems, you will see it clearly and after a while... it gets... VERY annoying.

That still doesn't answer the question of what the bug actually is...

• User profile image
    turrican

GoddersUK said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

That still doesn't answer the question of what the bug actually is...

um, the bug is the stutter... it skips some frames in the start.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.