Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Jobs rolls out the iPhone 4

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

The Jesus Phone gets more than a facelift.

Generic Forum Image

As one would expect, the new features are stuff you would have found in other phones years ago (folders, the ability to pick your own backdrop). Bing joins the party, along with a longer battery life and a screen that may make book reading less of an eyestrain.

The iPhoneOS is renamed to iOS 4 and MacOSX didn't even warrant a mention. I wonder if we'll see another version, or will Apple just wait until next year to launch iOS-based laptops?

But that is a fine looking phone.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

iOS based laptops? What do you mean, why would you limit such capable hardware with an OS like that? They do have an iPad

• User profile image
    W3bbo

The 326dpi display is what made me proclaim out loud "wow", I didn't know that level of resolution was possible using IPS panels.

I will say that I'm not fond of the design of this unit: it looks too much like the handheld battery-powered Braun shavers of the 1970s and 80s that were black plastic with various metal bits sticking out, invariably becoming greasy and yucky over time. It wouldn't surprise me if this non-flush design went the same way.

I would be interested in buying this product to replace my PDA and mobile phone, and I was all set before Steve announced that 32GB is the capacity maximum for this generation. It's the first time they haven't announced a doubling of capacity. I guess I'll have to wait until next year for the 64GB version, but by then my music collection might be more than that (I've got 54GB right now).

• User profile image
    Bass

Looks like the Gizmodo leak was on target.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

W3bbo said:

The 326dpi display is what made me proclaim out loud "wow", I didn't know that level of resolution was possible using IPS panels.

I will say that I'm not fond of the design of this unit: it looks too much like the handheld battery-powered Braun shavers of the 1970s and 80s that were black plastic with various metal bits sticking out, invariably becoming greasy and yucky over time. It wouldn't surprise me if this non-flush design went the same way.

I would be interested in buying this product to replace my PDA and mobile phone, and I was all set before Steve announced that 32GB is the capacity maximum for this generation. It's the first time they haven't announced a doubling of capacity. I guess I'll have to wait until next year for the 64GB version, but by then my music collection might be more than that (I've got 54GB right now).

I was disappointed by the lack of storage increase as well. I'm getting close to maxing out my 32GB 3GS. And if they ever offer a streaming/subscription service (or if Rhapsody makes their app usable offline/while driving) I'll surely need more.

I am interested to see how nice the new screen is in person though.

• User profile image
    sushovande

I like the phone very much, but I am going to hold out for a Windows Phone 7 because I want to write mobile apps.

• User profile image
    kettch

sushovande said:

I like the phone very much, but I am going to hold out for a Windows Phone 7 because I want to write mobile apps.

This brought to mind a question: Microsoft has said that they are going to work on iterating the software for WP7 rather quickly. However, how quickly will they be adjusting the hardware chassis spec to address newer technologies.

• User profile image
    intelman

The new iPhone is quite attractive. Very brick like, great industrial design. Apple is doing great here.

• User profile image
    exoteric

W3bbo said:

Impressive DPI.

Design has also improved, one could say it's almost Zune-like.

The desktop looks boring and uninspiring although experience tells me it will at least have a super responsive and smooth UX, something other devices could learn a lot from.

I don't understand the desire to host a complete music collection on the device. At least for my collection which includes many FLAC files that's completely unrealistic. Simply stream the music from a home server with real-time transcoding. My tiny iPod Shuffle (lovely piece of hardware) with a mere 2 GB also has vastly more music on it at any given time than I need; so changing the music from time to time is quite fine.

• User profile image
    elmer

iOS  ?

I wonder if Cisco is going to object to that.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Hmm, I'm not sure about the design. It feels very retro-80s to me. I think I prefer the rounded design of the current models.

Those screen specs are enough to make me salivate though. Not that I'll be getting one (or any new phone) in the forseeable future, but anyway.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Ion Todirel said:

iOS based laptops? What do you mean, why would you limit such capable hardware with an OS like that? They do have an iPad

So they can run dump Intel.

So they can release a laptop as thin as razor blade with a fifteen hour battery life.

So they can cream a percentage from every app written for it.

So they can make it impossible to run their OS on any hardware but their own.

Because they believe this will help keep viruses off the platform.

• User profile image
    elmer

Sven Groot said:

Hmm, I'm not sure about the design. It feels very retro-80s to me. I think I prefer the rounded design of the current models.

Those screen specs are enough to make me salivate though. Not that I'll be getting one (or any new phone) in the forseeable future, but anyway.

They are apparently designed to accept a wrap-around edge protector (that comes in various colours) which then gives it the more rounded look of the current model.

I wouldn't buy one, mainly because it's massively excessive to my needs (I simply need a phone) and because I refuse to buy anything Apple... but it's interesting nonetheless.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Sven Groot said:

Yes, the screen looks very impressive, but given Apple's continual leaning toward exaggeration, I think I'll wait to see it for myself. If it's as good as Engadget says it is then it could explain why Apple has no interest in e-ink screens.

I might actually buy one of these things. Or more likely, wait until they upgrade the iPod Touch.

I don't mind so much about the lack of a 64-bit version though; I haven't even managed to fill an 8GB Touch.

• User profile image
    Ray7

elmer said:

iOS  ?

I wonder if Cisco is going to object to that.

Good question.

Apple licensing the 'iOS' name from Cisco

• User profile image
    Ray7

elmer said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

They are apparently designed to accept a wrap-around edge protector (that comes in various colours) which then gives it the more rounded look of the current model.

I wouldn't buy one, mainly because it's massively excessive to my needs (I simply need a phone) and because I refuse to buy anything Apple... but it's interesting nonetheless.

Sounds almost as if they've built in a defect so they can sell an add-on.

• User profile image
    elmer

W3bbo said:

it looks too much like the handheld battery-powered Braun shavers of the 1970s and 80s

Now, if it doubled as a shaver, I might be tempted... that'd be a feature I could actually use.

iShave... there's an app for that! - use the camera on those "difficult to see" places, as you mow them down... zoom right in on those pesky nostril hairs.

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

Ray7 said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Yes, the screen looks very impressive, but given Apple's continual leaning toward exaggeration, I think I'll wait to see it for myself. If it's as good as Engadget says it is then it could explain why Apple has no interest in e-ink screens.

I might actually buy one of these things. Or more likely, wait until they upgrade the iPod Touch.

I don't mind so much about the lack of a 64-bit version though; I haven't even managed to fill an 8GB Touch.

It is not the sharpness of the text that causes eye strain.  It is the backlight.  iPhone 4 still has a backlight so it would still be harder on the eyes than e-ink. 

I am a bit confused as to who would actually want to read a book on a phone.  It seems like the screen (especially the iPhone screen) is too small to read on comfortably.  I also don't know of anyone that would sit down and edit videos on their phone.  It seems to be that Apple is grasping at straws trying to find something that is innovative and just coming off as desperate.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.