Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Jobs rolls out the iPhone 4

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    stevo_

intelman said:

The new iPhone is quite attractive. Very brick like, great industrial design. Apple is doing great here.

Pretty sure this is the least original design so far so giving them some credit is stupid. Sony made tons of phones to this style in the past, and its been used on various tech products since

• User profile image
    exoteric

stevo_ said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

Pretty sure this is the least original design so far so giving them some credit is stupid. Sony made tons of phones to this style in the past, and its been used on various tech products since

Immitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

What I like the most is that it is available in 3 weeks (unlike Windows phone 7), here in the UK. I am searching for a new phone as I am due for an upgrade and that is looking OK, resolution wise, I am now in a conundrum.

• User profile image
    spottedmah

Video Chat... pretty cool if you ask me

• User profile image
    Dovella
  • User profile image
    intelman

W3bbo said:

The 326dpi display is what made me proclaim out loud "wow", I didn't know that level of resolution was possible using IPS panels.

I will say that I'm not fond of the design of this unit: it looks too much like the handheld battery-powered Braun shavers of the 1970s and 80s that were black plastic with various metal bits sticking out, invariably becoming greasy and yucky over time. It wouldn't surprise me if this non-flush design went the same way.

I would be interested in buying this product to replace my PDA and mobile phone, and I was all set before Steve announced that 32GB is the capacity maximum for this generation. It's the first time they haven't announced a doubling of capacity. I guess I'll have to wait until next year for the 64GB version, but by then my music collection might be more than that (I've got 54GB right now).

Why is Apple the only one to realize IPS is the way to go? My Zune HD with OLED is impossible to use outside. I've seen a few Nexus Ones which are almost impossible to use outside. 

That screen really makes the device. I truly envy the new iPhone.  Android and Windows Mobile 7 just doesn't have enough innovative phone manufactures. Apple still has it. They keep pushing and making something amazing. I bet they will continue to use OLEDs and plastic.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Meanwhile Microsoft plods on working on a product that won't be out for another 6 months.. and probably will only launch in america first.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

intelman said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Why is Apple the only one to realize IPS is the way to go? My Zune HD with OLED is impossible to use outside. I've seen a few Nexus Ones which are almost impossible to use outside. 

That screen really makes the device. I truly envy the new iPhone.  Android and Windows Mobile 7 just doesn't have enough innovative phone manufactures. Apple still has it. They keep pushing and making something amazing. I bet they will continue to use OLEDs and plastic.

What makes you think IPS is better outside? I used plenty of iPads outside and they are pretty much unreadable.

• User profile image
    intelman

IPS laptop was quite a bit better than the OLED phone. TN laptop was hard to see because you'd have to be at the right angle. I think the better viewing angles of the IPS make all the difference, and the fact that backlighting exists.

Relative to the inside, yeah it sucks outside. But OLED relative to a non oled screen, pretty much night and day between Zune HD, Nexus One, and IBM Tablets with IPS screens.

• User profile image
    stevo_

PaoloM said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

What makes you think IPS is better outside? I used plenty of iPads outside and they are pretty much unreadable.

That's most likely the glossy screens which apple makes its customers suffer.

At first its like 'WHOA glossy screen looks awesome.. OK turn it on..
    It is on..

..o

Actually most Apple products are about that initial glance and honeymoon period so I guess it makes sense.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

intelman said:

IPS laptop was quite a bit better than the OLED phone. TN laptop was hard to see because you'd have to be at the right angle. I think the better viewing angles of the IPS make all the difference, and the fact that backlighting exists.

Relative to the inside, yeah it sucks outside. But OLED relative to a non oled screen, pretty much night and day between Zune HD, Nexus One, and IBM Tablets with IPS screens.

You're not making any sense.

Your point was the IPS is superior to OLED because OLED sucks outside. It is my experience that IPS sucks outside as well, so now you're moving the goalposts?

• User profile image
    intelman

PaoloM said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

You're not making any sense.

Your point was the IPS is superior to OLED because OLED sucks outside. It is my experience that IPS sucks outside as well, so now you're moving the goalposts?

Not moving anything. IPS is great outside. OLED isn't. IT is just how they work, how they light the screen. I am perhaps not being very clear.

My experience:

Zune HD, Nexus One <<  --- Do not bother switching songs or using Google Maps, can't see the damn thing.

Lenovo Tablet with IPS Screen  <<< ---- Can check email and write some documents, screen appears readable and usable, obviously not as good as inside, but acceptable

Dell Laptop with a TN Screen <<<< ---- Pretty damn hard to see. Viewing angles must be just right.

Conclusion. Do not want phone with OLED scren. Do not want laptop or notebook with anything other than IPS screen. If possible get a phone with an IPS screen.

Plus personally, I never believed OLED to be the best choice for mobile devices anyways. 

• User profile image
    stevo_

intelman said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Not moving anything. IPS is great outside. OLED isn't. IT is just how they work, how they light the screen. I am perhaps not being very clear.

My experience:

Zune HD, Nexus One <<  --- Do not bother switching songs or using Google Maps, can't see the damn thing.

Lenovo Tablet with IPS Screen  <<< ---- Can check email and write some documents, screen appears readable and usable, obviously not as good as inside, but acceptable

Dell Laptop with a TN Screen <<<< ---- Pretty damn hard to see. Viewing angles must be just right.

Conclusion. Do not want phone with OLED scren. Do not want laptop or notebook with anything other than IPS screen. If possible get a phone with an IPS screen.

Plus personally, I never believed OLED to be the best choice for mobile devices anyways. 

Personally I don't agree with your tests, plus- the technology doesn't purely dictate the quality.

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

intelman said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

My experience:

So here you go... Super OLED.  Problem solved.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/02/16/samsung%e2%80%99s-super-oled-more-pixels-inches-and-battery-life/

• User profile image
    minner123

I am a bit confused as to who would actually want to read a book on a phone.  <strong><a href="http://www.linkslondonsale.com/bracelets.html">links of london charm bracelets</a></strong> It seems like the screen (especially the iPhone screen) is too small to read on comfortably.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.