Coffeehouse Thread

51 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel 9 Site Not Reliable

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    spottedmah

I frequently have reliability issues with the Channel 9 website.  For instance I often get "page cannot be displayed" and I have to refresh a few times.

Currently I'm experiencing fairly slow down rates.  I'm trying to watch videos via my Roku and it keeps rebuffering every 2 - 4 mins.

As a test I started the download of a WMV file and it seems fairly slow, around 80KB/sec.

I also performed a bandwidth test on http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ Download Speed: 8350 kbps (1043.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1861 kbps (232.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Is it just me?

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Channel9 is the worst in reliability, And forum is the worst I have ever been to since 10 years ago. But, Channel9 is the most frequent MS place I visit, basically everyday.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Charles

Reliability is one of the primary focal points for our next release. We hear you loud and clear. Believe that.

C

• User profile image
    spottedmah

Charles said:

Reliability is one of the primary focal points for our next release. We hear you loud and clear. Believe that.

C

Good to hear, thanks Charles.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

You must be new here.

• User profile image
    spottedmah

SlackmasterK said:

You must be new here.

Nope, I've been watching Channel9 for a few years now.  It's a great resource, especially the "Deep Dive" sessions with the hardcore software engineers.

I take it you're saying this is an ongoing issue and has been this way for a while?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

spottedmah said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

Nope, I've been watching Channel9 for a few years now.  It's a great resource, especially the "Deep Dive" sessions with the hardcore software engineers.

I take it you're saying this is an ongoing issue and has been this way for a while?

Yup.

• User profile image
    cburnette

I agree.  I love coming to Channel9 for the great interviews, excellent coverage and scope.  But..... recently it has become practically unusable.  I can't even watch a video without waiting 30 minutes for it to buffer.  This is obviously not cool. Everything comes down to money, and Microsoft should be budgeting more for Channel9 hardware and software.  This is one of the coolest sites on the net for Microsoft developers and it should shine.  Nuff said. 

• User profile image
    turrican

I'm pretty sure it's just you.

No one else ever had any problems with C9. It's one of the most reliable and fastests websites on the Internet.

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Pace

Dude ive been here since 2004 and to be honest. This is nothing new. Its always had glitches / problems. As it is now, its a massive improvement on how it used to be in all honesty.

I have come to accept C9 has its good days and its bad days. But I love the place all the same... 

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

turrican said:

I'm pretty sure it's just you.

No one else ever had any problems with C9. It's one of the most reliable and fastests websites on the Internet.

Tongue Out

I think that "tongue out" smiley needs to about 10 times larger to cope with the sheer volume of irony in that post.

Herbie

• User profile image
    itsnotabug

love the site, but while we're taking requests, can we do something about the source code window? maybe i'm doing something wrong but it takes me at least 3 tries before c# or vb.net code will format correctly in posts.

• User profile image
    turrican

Dr Herbie said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

I think that "tongue out" smiley needs to about 10 times larger to cope with the sheer volume of irony in that post.

Herbie

hahaha

• User profile image
    spottedmah

Charles said:

C

Any time frame on that release btw?  I'm not looking for a specific date but is 3 months, 6 months, next year, two years?

• User profile image
    elmer

For me, C9 performance and reliability has always been abysmal, and it has always been the worst site I use.

Given its role (effectively, a “behind the scenes” technical evangelism) it’s emblematic of a serious problem within MS:

FAILURE TO RECOGNISE AND ADDRESS BAD PR, BEFORE IT DOES MAJOR DAMAGE.

Here we have a site that is targeting technical-minded people, and potential customers, basically screaming out: *DON’T USE ASP.NET*.

The technical reality of the cause is irrelevant, the perception is what matters here, and it’s all bad... *REALLY* bad.

It’s not as if MS lacks for funds, or lacks for talent... but it apparently lacks the ability to recognise “marketing disaster” even when staring it in the face.

A “we’ll fix it in the next version” solution, should not be acceptable to MS, and the current site should be fixed *NOW*.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

spottedmah said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Any time frame on that release btw?  I'm not looking for a specific date but is 3 months, 6 months, next year, two years?

The 'C9 Revolution' was first talked about almost exactly a year ago (early June 2009).  No dates have ever been set -- I think this is a 'backburner' project that keeps getting sidelined when other projects crop up.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

elmer said:

For me, C9 performance and reliability has always been abysmal, and it has always been the worst site I use.

Given its role (effectively, a “behind the scenes” technical evangelism) it’s emblematic of a serious problem within MS:

FAILURE TO RECOGNISE AND ADDRESS BAD PR, BEFORE IT DOES MAJOR DAMAGE.

Here we have a site that is targeting technical-minded people, and potential customers, basically screaming out: *DON’T USE ASP.NET*.

The technical reality of the cause is irrelevant, the perception is what matters here, and it’s all bad... *REALLY* bad.

It’s not as if MS lacks for funds, or lacks for talent... but it apparently lacks the ability to recognise “marketing disaster” even when staring it in the face.

A “we’ll fix it in the next version” solution, should not be acceptable to MS, and the current site should be fixed *NOW*.

I agree. This site is an utter disaster (from a technical, not content, point of view), and despite frequent promises of "we're working on it" it's only ever gotten worse in the six years this place has been around. Sure, it occasionally seems to get better but it's always short-lived. It reflects very poorly on MS's abilities as a software company indeed.

If I were a higher up at MS, I'd either give them the resources they needed to make things work, fire the entire team and replace them with people who can make it work with the current resources, or shut the whole thing down.

I would most definitely not let it continue as is with only vague promises that things will be better in the next version, promises we've heard all too frequently and which have never come true before.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Sven Groot said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

I agree. This site is an utter disaster (from a technical, not content, point of view), and despite frequent promises of "we're working on it" it's only ever gotten worse in the six years this place has been around. Sure, it occasionally seems to get better but it's always short-lived. It reflects very poorly on MS's abilities as a software company indeed.

If I were a higher up at MS, I'd either give them the resources they needed to make things work, fire the entire team and replace them with people who can make it work with the current resources, or shut the whole thing down.

I would most definitely not let it continue as is with only vague promises that things will be better in the next version, promises we've heard all too frequently and which have never come true before.

I've never had that many problems with the site but since yesterday it'sbarely been working.

With the last Kinect video from Tina all I get is audio and the videos have been popping up in a seperate player instead of using the Silverlight player since yesterday.
    Is the site being swamped by all the new people wanting to see Kinect?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.