Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 7 Start Menu - Options Missing

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Observe:

     

    This is a (stitched) screenshot of the Start Menu options window, note how many items are set to "Display as a link" and not "Don't display this item".

     

    Generic Forum Image

     

    Now see this screenshot of my actual start menu, note how many options are not shown which is contrary to the options selected.

     

    Generic Forum Image

     

    Explain.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    That's strange, I've never seen that before.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Sven Groot said:

    That's strange, I've never seen that before.

    I did wonder if there might be some kind of maximum capacity option or something, so I unchecked everything and told it to show Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures. The right side of the menu was still blank. Downloads and Recorded TV appear fine.

     

    I ran rsop.msc just to make sure there wasn't some policy preventing them from being shown, but no.

     

    Of note, I did remove all of the profile-related filesystem shims a while ago. I wonder if maybe Explorer is using the old paths internally, but because the shims are missing it cannot resolve them to the new paths, so it hides them.

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    Interesting. Missing items are:

     

    1. Connect To

    2. Documents

    3. Music

    4. Pictures

    5. Videos

     

     

    edit - I think you got it right. It must be using the old paths.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    spivonious said:

    Interesting. Missing items are:

     

    1. Connect To

    2. Documents

    3. Music

    4. Pictures

    5. Videos

     

     

    edit - I think you got it right. It must be using the old paths.

    The funny thing is when I did clear the right side of the menu and selected to show only Connect To, it appeared.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

    I did wonder if there might be some kind of maximum capacity option or something, so I unchecked everything and told it to show Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures. The right side of the menu was still blank. Downloads and Recorded TV appear fine.

     

    I ran rsop.msc just to make sure there wasn't some policy preventing them from being shown, but no.

     

    Of note, I did remove all of the profile-related filesystem shims a while ago. I wonder if maybe Explorer is using the old paths internally, but because the shims are missing it cannot resolve them to the new paths, so it hides them.

    I doubt it has anything to do with the compatibility junction points. In Win7 those start menu items open the relevant library (with the exception of connect to, obviously), not your personal folders directly. Did you do anything to the libraries?

     

    Still, removing those items was probably not the brightest of ideas, regardless of whether it's causing your current issue or not.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Sven Groot said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    I doubt it has anything to do with the compatibility junction points. In Win7 those start menu items open the relevant library (with the exception of connect to, obviously), not your personal folders directly. Did you do anything to the libraries?

     

    Still, removing those items was probably not the brightest of ideas, regardless of whether it's causing your current issue or not.

    Ah, well as it so happens: I disabled Libraries using a registry patch that disables the COM objects used by Explorer.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

    Ah, well as it so happens: I disabled Libraries using a registry patch that disables the COM objects used by Explorer.

    Because you just can't leave it the fúck alone?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    stevo_ said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Because you just can't leave it the fúck alone?

    I disabled Libraries because they're useless to me and get in the way, I also don't like how Explorer always jumps to them when you open it up. With Libraries disabled Explorer now opens in my Profile directory by default, which is a great improvement.

     

    I didn't think that Windows's UI relied so heavily on this particular feature, and I was thinking that it would be like Vista/2008 in that it would open up their respective non-Libraries equivalents. That's another reason I didn't think Libraries had anything to do with it until Sven pointed it out in this thread.

     

    Besides, what do you care what I do with my computer?

  • User profile image
    jmzl666

    W3bbo said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

    I disabled Libraries because they're useless to me and get in the way, I also don't like how Explorer always jumps to them when you open it up. With Libraries disabled Explorer now opens in my Profile directory by default, which is a great improvement.

     

    I didn't think that Windows's UI relied so heavily on this particular feature, and I was thinking that it would be like Vista/2008 in that it would open up their respective non-Libraries equivalents. That's another reason I didn't think Libraries had anything to do with it until Sven pointed it out in this thread.

     

    Besides, what do you care what I do with my computer?

    Because you asked him to care when you created a post about your computer?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    jmzl666 said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Because you asked him to care when you created a post about your computer?

    That was before I found out it was related to Libraries.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    W3bbo said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

    I disabled Libraries because they're useless to me and get in the way, I also don't like how Explorer always jumps to them when you open it up. With Libraries disabled Explorer now opens in my Profile directory by default, which is a great improvement.

     

    I didn't think that Windows's UI relied so heavily on this particular feature, and I was thinking that it would be like Vista/2008 in that it would open up their respective non-Libraries equivalents. That's another reason I didn't think Libraries had anything to do with it until Sven pointed it out in this thread.

     

    Besides, what do you care what I do with my computer?

    Thinking is vastly overrated anyways.

     

    I always found this Windows tweak guide very helpful in resolving all my issues with the OS.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

    Ah, well as it so happens: I disabled Libraries using a registry patch that disables the COM objects used by Explorer.

    I see you're making the classic mistake of trying to use a new version of Windows as if it were an old one, rather than trying to get used to and actually benefit from the new stuff. The "getting used to" period may be slightly annoying for a short while (depending on how adaptable you are), but in the long run you save yourself a lot of grief and get a better experience.

  • User profile image
    turrican

    First of all, I was so impressed how you made that settings box to resize, because I always thought it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small, very claustrophobic, then I saw the scrollbars... hehhe...

     

    I have seen this bug too. Sometimes, it doesn't remember what you changed. You have do it once more and Apply to make it "stick" or something.

     

    Definitely a bug.

  • User profile image
    turrican

    Sven Groot said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    I see you're making the classic mistake of trying to use a new version of Windows as if it were an old one, rather than trying to get used to and actually benefit from the new stuff. The "getting used to" period may be slightly annoying for a short while (depending on how adaptable you are), but in the long run you save yourself a lot of grief and get a better experience.

    Although I agree that it was a good thing that I forced myself to use libraries, that function is very good... I must disagree on the "short while". I'm a very adaptable person but after almost 14 years of doing something, it will no longer be a short while. Even for more.

     

    I read this research somewhere, where it said change actually "hurt" the brain, since it has to create new neuron patterns or something and that is why people dislike change because it hurts them. I found that very interesting. So I have been creating a rule for myself to remind me of that pain whenever a change comes, and make sure I endure it at all costs.

     

    This simple rule has made me stay "up to date" with many things in life.

     

    The only thing I miss about the libraries is that when I add a drive to it, I can no longer see the drive's free vs used space.

  • User profile image
    rhm

    W3bbo said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

    I disabled Libraries because they're useless to me and get in the way, I also don't like how Explorer always jumps to them when you open it up. With Libraries disabled Explorer now opens in my Profile directory by default, which is a great improvement.

     

    I didn't think that Windows's UI relied so heavily on this particular feature, and I was thinking that it would be like Vista/2008 in that it would open up their respective non-Libraries equivalents. That's another reason I didn't think Libraries had anything to do with it until Sven pointed it out in this thread.

     

    Besides, what do you care what I do with my computer?

    Do yourself a favour and ditch explorer. I finally shelled out for Directory Opus a few months ago and haven't looked back. Windows explorer is a complete disaster in Vista and Win7. DO makes windows useable again.

  • User profile image
    turrican

    rhm said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Do yourself a favour and ditch explorer. I finally shelled out for Directory Opus a few months ago and haven't looked back. Windows explorer is a complete disaster in Vista and Win7. DO makes windows useable again.

    "Directory Opus" is very good. Thank you for the recommendation.

     

    Yes, Windows Explorer is a disaster... well, atleast for power users.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    rhm said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Do yourself a favour and ditch explorer. I finally shelled out for Directory Opus a few months ago and haven't looked back. Windows explorer is a complete disaster in Vista and Win7. DO makes windows useable again.

    I use Dopus (trial version) on some of my VMs, but it is a tad expensive since I have so many machines. Their licensing seems based on the premise that each computer has one user.

     

    ...whereas I have 9 machines I login to on a regular basis, most of them servers.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.