Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why isn't .NET 4 in Windows Update?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Hm, why isn't .NET 4 in Windows Update? I have to download it manually, wtf?

• User profile image
    spivonious

Because .NET 4 isn't required for Windows to run.

• User profile image
    turrican

spivonious said:

Because .NET 4 isn't required for Windows to run.

um, what? Smiley

I have enabled "Microsoft Update" and I remember other versions of .NET was there, no? I never installed v 3.x for example.

Weird.

• User profile image
    Dexter

turrican said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

um, what? Smiley

I have enabled "Microsoft Update" and I remember other versions of .NET was there, no? I never installed v 3.x for example.

Weird.

I could be wrong but it takes a while before a new piece of software is pushed to Windows Update. You really don't want millions to install it and then discover it has some nasty bugs.

• User profile image
    intelman

Dexter said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

I could be wrong but it takes a while before a new piece of software is pushed to Windows Update. You really don't want millions to install it and then discover it has some nasty bugs.

You dont want to release a build of a product without discovering a nasty bug. The fact that it is released should bring some confidence.

• User profile image
    figuerres

turrican said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

um, what? Smiley

Weird.

it will show up as a "not required but there if you want it" probably in the next month.

if you have it installed then any updates to the base install will also be shown.

SIlverlight V4 only just started to update last week.

if you look at www.riastats.com

go to the major versions line chart and look at the V3 and V4 lines for the last week  V4 is almost up where V3 was.

• User profile image
    turrican

figuerres said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

it will show up as a "not required but there if you want it" probably in the next month.

if you have it installed then any updates to the base install will also be shown.

SIlverlight V4 only just started to update last week.

if you look at www.riastats.com

go to the major versions line chart and look at the V3 and V4 lines for the last week  V4 is almost up where V3 was.

aah OK, Thank you.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

turrican said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

aah OK, Thank you.

.Net is always OPTIONAL in the windows update. You have to always manually do it. Vista and Win7 have .Net3.0 pre-installed.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    mstefan

magicalclick said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

.Net is always OPTIONAL in the windows update. You have to always manually do it. Vista and Win7 have .Net3.0 pre-installed.

At this point, I don't know why they don't declare the .NET runtimes to be core system components and require them to be installed and updated. Keeping them optional seems very 2002-ish.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

mstefan said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

At this point, I don't know why they don't declare the .NET runtimes to be core system components and require them to be installed and updated. Keeping them optional seems very 2002-ish.

because it takes time to download and people are having 56K internet with 20GB of HDD. Tongue Out

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bass

mstefan said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

Perhaps it is not worth the trouble? If you think this is ancient history, the DoJ recently investigated Windows 7 for possible anti-trust violations. The government is watching the company very carefully in the hopes that they can sue them again for anti-trust. I don't think Microsoft wants to help with that.

• User profile image
    turrican

magicalclick said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Yes, I meant that I can not find it as optional download. Sorry for not being clear... but I guess it'll show up soon.

• User profile image
    turrican

Bass said:
    mstefan said:
    *snip*

Perhaps it is not worth the trouble? If you think this is ancient history, the DoJ recently investigated Windows 7 for possible anti-trust violations. The government is watching the company very carefully in the hopes that they can sue them again for anti-trust. I don't think Microsoft wants to help with that.

Them b******* want to milk money, that's all. They could care less about the consumers.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Bass said:
    mstefan said:
    *snip*

Well no actually!. Since .NET 4.0 came out Visual Studio 2010 now defaults to the client profile that is >40MB so developers can now target this framework version, so in the future a typical .NET client application won't need the full .NET at all.

If you are downloading it manually, you probably are needing server libraries hence 'developing' so you should have .NET installed anyway as you are using C# Express/Visual Studio.

• User profile image
    turrican

vesuvius said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Well no actually!. Since .NET 4.0 came out Visual Studio 2010 now defaults to the client profile that is >40MB so developers can now target this framework version, so in the future a typical .NET client application won't need the full .NET at all.

If you are downloading it manually, you probably are needing server libraries hence 'developing' so you should have .NET installed anyway as you are using C# Express/Visual Studio.

I have a feeling .NET will be part of Windows someday... maybe Windows 9.

• User profile image
    felix9

I think at this moment most of the localized versions of .NET 4 Framework are not released to the public yet.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.