Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

"legacy PC apps", Google invents Remote Desktop / VNC! :D

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    turrican said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    RDP is so much more better and advanced... and faster and 1000 other things that I'm afraid VNC doesn't come close to it. I would NEVER work via a VNC client but working with RDP is a pleasure. Big Smile

     

    But yeah, that web thingy won't run on these "thin" clients so :/

    RDP has better throughput than VNC, yes; but the RDP framerate in the official Microsoft clients leaves a lot to be desired. The open-source rdesktop client uses a much higher frame-rate that makes the experience seem more fluid, whereas mtsc.exe is artificially hardcoded to something like 20fps. For this reason, in LANs at least, VNC gives a better zero-configuration experience.

  • User profile image
    contextfree

    W3bbo said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

    That's because native Win32 code isn't a pleasure to develop in.

     

    I disagree with your "outside of games development" because you overlook iPhone/iPad and OS X development where the Cocoa API and ObjC environment present a modern OOP platform to build on with a strong class library to boot.

    Apparently Windows CE/EC7 includes a version of Silverlight with a native C++ instead of managed API.  I suspect this will be included with Windows 8 as well and will become the new recommended native UI toolkit for Windows, replacing USER32.DLL (as Direct2D/DirectWrite replaced GDI).  They'll probably even rewrite the shell UI in it.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    Actually the best implementation = MS Lab + .Net Passport + App installation previlige = cloud OS.

     

    MS lab I am refering to is the one you can try MS product on their server.

    .Net Passport = login using your .net account.

    App installation previlige to install your app in MS Lab machines.

     

    I think this  is a cool idea to have cloud OS like this.

     

    I wonde if Google is doing this? But, I do see this a good alternative to lagacy solutions. However, most legacy apps on server based, which doesn't seem to be a good choice using cloud OS somewhere else. And many legacy apps like my father's VCD burning software requires to communicate with CDR directly, so not sure this would work either.

     

    Seems like this only works for games because other apps should be upgraded instead keeping legacy copy. If that's the case, might as well use onLive because games often game requires CD validations as well.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    turrican

    W3bbo said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

    RDP has better throughput than VNC, yes; but the RDP framerate in the official Microsoft clients leaves a lot to be desired. The open-source rdesktop client uses a much higher frame-rate that makes the experience seem more fluid, whereas mtsc.exe is artificially hardcoded to something like 20fps. For this reason, in LANs at least, VNC gives a better zero-configuration experience.

    Frankly, I have NEVER seen even ONCE that VNC would work better than RDP and I have used both in all kinds of scenarios.

  • User profile image
    turrican

    contextfree said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Apparently Windows CE/EC7 includes a version of Silverlight with a native C++ instead of managed API.  I suspect this will be included with Windows 8 as well and will become the new recommended native UI toolkit for Windows, replacing USER32.DLL (as Direct2D/DirectWrite replaced GDI).  They'll probably even rewrite the shell UI in it.

    Whooh, now wouldn't that be something!

    Smiley

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    turrican said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Frankly, I have NEVER seen even ONCE that VNC would work better than RDP and I have used both in all kinds of scenarios.

    It depends on what client and set-up you've got going.

     

    In one scenario I had in late 2005, TightVNC clients and servers gave a very fluid 60fps over 100mbps LAN. I get similar performance using rdesktop as opposed to mstsc.

     

    You can download rdesktop for Win32, give it a try and tell me if you can feel a difference. Other people I've shown it to also say they feel it too.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    contextfree said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Apparently Windows CE/EC7 includes a version of Silverlight with a native C++ instead of managed API.  I suspect this will be included with Windows 8 as well and will become the new recommended native UI toolkit for Windows, replacing USER32.DLL (as Direct2D/DirectWrite replaced GDI).  They'll probably even rewrite the shell UI in it.

    Interesting, but is that a C++ interface to the (still managed) Silverlight runtime, or is the Silverlight implementation C++ as well?

  • User profile image
    turrican

    W3bbo said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

    It depends on what client and set-up you've got going.

     

    In one scenario I had in late 2005, TightVNC clients and servers gave a very fluid 60fps over 100mbps LAN. I get similar performance using rdesktop as opposed to mstsc.

     

    You can download rdesktop for Win32, give it a try and tell me if you can feel a difference. Other people I've shown it to also say they feel it too.

    ...rdesktop is MUCH better, yepp. cool.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    turrican said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    ...rdesktop is MUCH better, yepp. cool.

    Amazing, turrican agrees with me for once.

  • User profile image
    turrican

    W3bbo said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

    Amazing, turrican agrees with me for once.

    *lol* ... ya... oh well, I'm not a fanboy. hehhe... if a solution is good, eventhough not my own solution, then it's good. No ifs or buts about it.

    Smiley

     

    and... yey! Friday!... Cheers!

  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

    Comment removed at user's request.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.