Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

'Bing Day' at Google

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dahat

A friend referenced this story this morning, and a couple of (slow) visits to google seems to confirm it... only the below image has me wondering if they will soon have their own C9 clone as well: 

Bing Day at Google?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Fourth highest on google trends right now "remove google background"

• User profile image
    spivonious

Microsoft must be doing something right. Smiley

• User profile image
    itsnotabug

no way to change it back? even with a custom blank.jpg text is hard to read?

wow, they couldn't make that suck more if they tried.  way to turn all your users off to the idea of an image background on a search homepage.

hmmmmmm.... oh i get it.

• User profile image
    joechung

blowdart said:

Fourth highest on google trends right now "remove google background"

Apparently people didn't notice the "Remove background image" link on the bottom left corner.  Not that I blame them; it wasn't discoverable, since, ironically, the background image hid it well.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

joechung said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

Apparently people didn't notice the "Remove background image" link on the bottom left corner.  Not that I blame them; it wasn't discoverable, since, ironically, the background image hid it well.

My bottom-left link says "Change background" not "Remove background", and there is no option to remove the image or set a solid colour.

• User profile image
    androidi

I hope they load the background with javascript. Because I have javascript disabled on www.google.com in IE. Had to use the damn zones to do it since there doesn't seem to be any sensible UI for per site javascript disable like you can do with the per site addon/Flash disable through addon management. (Haven't seen the backgrounds yet and hopefully won't)

• User profile image
    Geoffreyk

But the image doesn't carryover to the results page. How disappointing

• User profile image
    dahat
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

dahat said:

no wonder, I am like, it is still white. They do have the change background at left. They used the usual over advertising on their new stuff, but, this time, people didn't like their over advertising.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    turrican

http://twitter.com/MSEurope/status/15838998934

"We've lost a background image, if found please return to bing.com Wink"

*looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool*

• User profile image
    MasterPi

It appears Google is in a mid-life identity crisis.

Someone on twitter wrote this:

"If Apple ran Google.com, they would've never added a background image. They would've made the white background whiter."

Maybe they'll pretend they're Apple next? I would welcome that - it would make some of their services look less Windows 95ish.

• User profile image
    turrican

MasterPie said:

"If Apple ran Google.com, they would've never added a background image. They would've made the white background whiter."

Maybe they'll pretend they're Apple next? I would welcome that - it would make some of their services look less Windows 95ish.

I

Can

Not

Stop

Laughing!

hhahaha

• User profile image
    W3bbo

MasterPie said:

Apple's design trends have gone away from pure white (which reached its peak around 2003) onto anodised aluminium and black glass.

I'd like to see Jonathan Ive's take on Google's design though.

• User profile image
    jamie

dahat said:

for now.

they are fixing it

( desktop of the future and all that)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.